NSAIDs (except paracetamol) uncouple mitochondrial respiration

haidut

Forum Supporter
This study shows that in addition to aspirin, a number of other NSAID uncouple mitochondrial respiration. The list of uncouplers includes indomethacin, naproxen, and piroxicam. The most potent uncoupler was aspirin at concentration of about 0.5mM, which is achievable with 1,000mg-1,500mg oral dose. Interestingly, paracetamol inhibited mitochondrial respiration at all studies concentrations, which may explain why I always felt bad when taking it.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/article ... p00344.pdf

burtlancast

haidut said:
Interestingly, paracetamol inhibited mitochondrial respiration at all studies concentrations, which may explain why I always felt bad when taking it.

Probably the reason why those taking double allowed doses for a few weeks end up on the liver transplants lists....

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
burtlancast said:
haidut said:
Interestingly, paracetamol inhibited mitochondrial respiration at all studies concentrations, which may explain why I always felt bad when taking it.

Probably the reason why those taking double allowed doses for a few weeks end up on the liver transplants lists....

The official epxlanation for liver damage is that paracetamol depletes glutathione and without it your liver gets overwhelmed by toxins from the gut and other metabolic byproducts. That's why in the ER the antidote to paracetamol "poisoning" is intravenous NAC - it is a precursor to glutathione and if administered early enough it usually saves the liver and the organ regenerates.
You can do the same using oral supplementaion of 10g NAC and 10g glycine. I posted a study on that back in August 2014. It is used in HIV patients and in some people it drops the viral count so low that they are considered in "permanent remission".

burtlancast

haidut said:
The official epxlanation for liver damage is that paracetamol depletes glutathione and without it your liver gets overwhelmed by toxins from the gut and other metabolic byproducts. That's why in the ER the antidote to paracetamol "poisoning" is intravenous NAC - it is a precursor to glutathione and if administered early enough it usually saves the liver and the organ regenerates.
You can do the same using oral supplementaion of 10g NAC and 10g glycine. I posted a study on that back in August 2014. It is used in HIV patients and in some people it drops the viral count so low that they are considered in "permanent remission".

:eek:
That's the kind of info that could potentially save one's life.
Do you know if this could work too on the viral hepatitis ( A, B, C) ?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
burtlancast said:
haidut said:

:eek:
That's the kind of info that could potentially save one's life.
Do you know if this could work too on the viral hepatitis ( A, B, C) ?

I don't know if it would work on hepatic viruses but here is the study if you care to read it.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24081740

There is a study just released that showed a herpes drug worked quite well on HIV. So, it seems plausible that RNA viruses may be affected similarly by therapies. Here is that study.
http://www.nih.gov/news/health/mar2015/nichd-13.htm

Moreover, there is a drug sold in Europe called Isoprinosine (Inosine Pranobex), which is basically just inosine and was shown to work on virtually any virus. Ray wrote about inosine in one of his articles, and you can get inosine over the counter in the USA.

Finally, the amino acid valine has been shown to be effective against viral hepatitis, so you may want to look at these studies.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23806690
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23185147
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17982106

jimmyquick

Haidut,

This is an awesome study. I was given paracetamol (I believe with Hydrocodone) when I had my wisdom teeth pulled out a while back. While I was only give a few pills, in the short time I took them if def destroyed my intestine and caused some bad constipation.

Have you seen any studies where people take both (such as aspirin and paracetamol) at the same time and noticed the effects? Im wondering if aspirin could help mitigate the effects of paracetamol or do you think it would be worse?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
jimmyquick said:
Haidut,

This is an awesome study. I was given paracetamol (I believe with Hydrocodone) when I had my wisdom teeth pulled out a while back. While I was only give a few pills, in the short time I took them if def destroyed my intestine and caused some bad constipation.

Have you seen any studies where people take both (such as aspirin and paracetamol) at the same time and noticed the effects? Im wondering if aspirin could help mitigate the effects of paracetamol or do you think it would be worse?

I know of people who have taken high doses of paracetamol and developed symptoms of leaky gut or even IBS / IBD. Paracetamol does seem to be a pretty nasty drug even when it "works". Peat wrote that the epidemics of Reye's syndrome in the early 20th century that were used to blame aspirin were actually caused by paracetamol.
The studies on aspirin and uncoupling showed that since aspirin (when taken on its own) is absorbed in the stomach it does not reach any portion of the intestines and does not cause damage there. It's probably risky to take them both, since aspirin added to some drugs that were shown to cause damage to the intestine was shown to amplify the damage. However, glycine, magnesium, zinc and thyroid (T4) have all been shown to prevent damage to the GI tract when taken with very harmful agents, and also help reverse whatever damage is already there.
I'd say glycine is probably your best bet and you can get it cheaply from any vitamin store. Ray wrote about some studies (and I confirmed it) showing 100g of gelatin (or 30g of glycine) daily taken for 3 days in a row healed pretty much all ulcerations in the intestine and stomach. You can also try a compound called "zinc carnosine", which has been shown to also heal mucosal damage in animal and human models of ulcers and dysbiosis.
I hope that helps.

jyb

haidut said:
I'd say glycine is probably your best bet and you can get it cheaply from any vitamin store. Ray wrote about some studies (and I confirmed it) showing 100g of gelatin (or 30g of glycine) daily taken for 3 days in a row healed pretty much all ulcerations in the intestine and stomach. You can also try a compound called "zinc carnosine", which has been shown to also heal mucosal damage in animal and human models of ulcers and dysbiosis.
I hope that helps.

I also like this idea of using glycine to prevent damage (or heal it if too late). What is your experience with glycine as an isolated amino acid supplement? 100g of gelatin doesn't seem easy to manage in practice (even on Peat forums where people are aware of these issues and of supplement quality, many seem to have issues with gelatin).

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals