Aging In Human Mitochondria Fully Reversed By Glycine

Hugh Johnson

Hi Haidut,

I currently find glycine very stimulating, it seems to trigger fight or flight (or an adrenaline rush) in me. What marks my history is prolonged past SSRI use and consequent chronic fatigue during/after withdrawal. I'm wondering how to take it or how to start tolerating it again.

Warm regards, and thanks for all of your contributions here. I only found peat a few weeks ago, but your posts here are a treasure trove of good content.

Johnson
It lowers blood sugar, so did you take it with enought carbs? Also, you should dissolve it in water before taking it.

It lowers blood sugar, so did you take it with enought carbs? Also, you should dissolve it in water before taking it.

Hi Hugh. I did dissolve it in water but possibly not enough carbs. I've been taking it at the same time as potatoes and steak (since I heard it's good to balance cysteine, methionine etc with glycine). However that doesn't seem to be working and it still triggers a stress response.

What would be the best way to take it / how many carbs?

Johnson

Texon

It's mitochondrial poison. It interferes with ATP synthesis in the mitochondria
@haidut @Koveras @mont109
Guys, could the hormesis aspect be in play with respect to metformin? I had an endocrinologist recommend that I take a 500mg dose of it per day, but I never did because it interferes with B12 utilization. Also, isn't it interesting that Hoffer was able to cure schizophrenia with various doses of niacin/niacinamide which seem to have a lot of effects in common with glycine? I also seem to recall Yasko saying that if someone has issues with glutamate, that supplemental glycine will make things worse.

Texon

Guys, could the hormesis aspect be in play with respect to metformin? I had an endocrinologist recommend that I take a 500mg dose of it per day, but I never did because it interferes with B12 utilization. Also, isn't it interesting that Hoffer was able to cure schizophrenia with various doses of niacin/niacinamide which seem to have a lot of effects in common with glycine? I also seem to recall Yasko saying that if someone has issues with glutamate, that supplemental glycine will make things worse.
Bump

InChristAlone

Yeah I have issues taking glycine. Even with a meal. Waking up in a panic is my sign.

Texon

@Blossom
I have now. Thank you.
(From your link), "Metformin also damages the stomach and intestinal lining and reduces "intrinsic factor" preventing proper vitamin B12 metabolism. It is linked to peripheral neuropathy in a VERY high number of cases, which is often misdiagnosed as diabetic neuropathy." B12 would be my issue if I ever had the impulse to take it. Amazingly, my D.O. warned me about this, which he uncovered with an earlier genetic test he gave me.

I have co-worker friend that needs to see this. I know he is on at least one 500 mg metformin/day, and I believe from hearing him talk he already has negative impact from it.

What would the proper glycine oral dosing schedule look like to assure sustained glycine plasma concentrations in order to optimize the cellular respiration over time? I looked at various studies but could not find anything conclusive, particularly for people no longer in their adolescence. How much sugar with glycine, and how frequently is effective to sustain the concentration? Are there any other methods besides sugar which have been shown to help with this?

I would also like to know if the baseline fasted state glycine concentrations have been shown to strengthen after long term glycine supplementation. If this is not possible, are there any other readily available methods to achieve this?

Cheers!

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

Glycine is also a GABA agonist and the fact that it improves sleep in humans suggests that it does not have excitoxicity. The doses used for schizo are massive (60g - 100g daily) and at such a dose other inhibitory amino acids like taurine or even GABA will also have some undesirable side effects. In doses of under 10g daily I don't think glycine does anything bad except possibly lowering blood sugar, so it would be wise to use with food.

Koveras

What action of metformin are you referring to wrt to hormesis?

Texon

What action of metformin are you referring to wrt to hormesis?
I wondered if hormesis (i.e., the process in which exposure to a low dose of a chemical agent or environmental factor that is damaging at higher doses induces an adaptive beneficial effect on the cell or organism) could be responsible for the perceived benefits of metformin. However, from what I've seen lately, it seems it would be damaging at any dose. I wonder if there are any long term users who can say that have undeniably benefited from it.

Koveras

I wondered if hormesis (i.e., the process in which exposure to a low dose of a chemical agent or environmental factor that is damaging at higher doses induces an adaptive beneficial effect on the cell or organism) could be responsible for the perceived benefits of metformin. However, from what I've seen lately, it seems it would be damaging at any dose. I wonder if there are any long term users who can say that have undeniably benefited from it.

It activates some of the same pathways that methionine restriction does - a good model for longevity and metabolic benefits.

It could certainly have some negative effects depending on the context though ...the diet is safer.

Texon

It activates some of the same pathways that methionine restriction does - a good model for longevity and metabolic benefits.

It could certainly have some negative effects depending on the context though ...the diet is safer.
Which I guess gets back to glycine. I have been told to stay away from manufactured aminos. Whether or not this is due to EMS back in 1990 from contaminated tryptophan is unknown. Or, could it be reaction in some weird as way to the bacterial media used to make it? I'll never know. Maybe I'll give Sweetamine a try. I wonder how Dr. Peat accomplishes high protein and low methionine at the same time?

Koveras

Which I guess gets back to glycine. I have been told to stay away from manufactured aminos. Whether or not this is due to EMS back in 1990 from contaminated tryptophan is unknown. Or, could it be reaction in some weird as way to the bacterial media used to make it? I'll never know. Maybe I'll give Sweetamine a try. I wonder how Dr. Peat accomplishes high protein and low methionine at the same time?

If he's getting 80-100g of protein and most of it is from red meat, dairy, shellfish and the occasional egg - it's probably not low enough in methionine to be considered a methionine deficient diet. But some of the benefits are replicated by getting extra glycine as you mention.

What would the proper glycine oral dosing schedule look like to assure sustained glycine plasma concentrations in order to optimize the cellular respiration over time? I looked at various studies but could not find anything conclusive, particularly for people no longer in their adolescence. How much sugar with glycine, and how frequently is effective to sustain the concentration? Are there any other methods besides sugar which have been shown to help with this?

I would also like to know if the baseline fasted state glycine concentrations have been shown to strengthen after long term glycine supplementation. If this is not possible, are there any other readily available methods to achieve this?

Cheers!
bump

CLASH

@haidut @Koveras
Glycine, from what I have read also agonizes the NMDA receptor. In my experience dosing glycine by itself 1-2g per day alone or in combination of 300mg of mag glycinate (I have also used mag glycinate alone) I get side effects such as insomnia and a slight irritability. Any idea on what could be pushing the glycine towards the nmda pathway as opposed to an inhibitory pathway (im assuming the side effects are indicating nmda activation)?

Koveras

@haidut @Koveras
Glycine, from what I have read also agonizes the NMDA receptor. In my experience dosing glycine by itself 1-2g per day alone or in combination of 300mg of mag glycinate (I have also used mag glycinate alone) I get side effects such as insomnia and a slight irritability. Any idea on what could be pushing the glycine towards the nmda pathway as opposed to an inhibitory pathway (im assuming the side effects are indicating nmda activation)?

Glycine by itself can lower blood sugar and stimulate the release of glucagon, increase free fatty acids and activate other stress systems.

The metabolic response to ingested glycine.

Regulation of glucagon secretion in normal and diabetic human islets by γ-hydroxybutyrate and glycine.

Stimulatory effect of glycine on human growth hormone secretion.

Last edited:

Texon

@haidut @Amazoniac
Wow Koveras, am I glad I came across this thread. I get weird effects from straight glycine also and only recently came to suspect my mag glycinate supp could be behind odd symptoms such as brain fog, heavy headed, light anxiety, unbalanced feeling, not feeling grounded/energetic, etc. This is not encouraging because I also take trimethylglycine to control homocysteine. What to do??? I do take methyl B12 1000 mcgs fairly often, but too much of it seems overmethylating, and I think raises histamine also. I would love to try cyproheptadine more often for better sleep, but even at 1 mg, it leaves me feeling very spacey even 24 hrs later. It seems I clear chemicals much more slowly than ever before, and tiny amounts of just about everything seem to linger. If this is a blood brain barrier issue, I have no idea what to about it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals