Not Doing Well On High Fruit | Juice Intake

boris

What you describe @GreekDemiGod I had the same experience yesterday when I drank OJ from a carton instead of juicing fresh oranges like usual.
Also what you described @Korven jittery uncomfortable energy while not being able to do anything.

I haven‘t felt so bad in a long time. Just one glass of it in the morning crashed my metabolism whereas freshly squeezed one makes me feel warm and content. I thought psychological stress must have induced it and kept drinking it throughout the day. At night it was impossible for me to fall asleep, abdominal muscles where trembling and even had pain in my lower spine. I‘m definitely done with storebought juices, only had terrible experiences, from applejuice to OJ it‘s all garbage.

I stick with juicing it myself now when good fruit is available or coke/sugared milk coffee as my main carb source + extra spinach broth or mushroom for minerals.

Last edited:

boris

No idea to be honest, but I feel good on it. Peat says cooking a pound of leafy greens in little water makes a concentrated magnesium broth.

Herbie

@GreekDemiGod

Yes I cannot consume huge amounts of liquid because I get clear, frequent urination which is stressful.

Ray Peat was hypometabolic eating 10000 calories a day and not urinating at all he said. I am not like that so I cannot copy his diet. I think people should be aware of this.

I have lots of salt, have taken cynomel and cynoplus, been low pufa for around 8 years and all done sorts of things and I just cannot have these liquids too much, never have and always been relatively healthy unless working hard physical job in 100F 40C temps or sauna.

Most people probably only want 1-2 glasses of oj per day and for me is a nice amount so I think do what works for you and don’t try to force the body through stress to have more liquid.

Last edited:

Herbie

An old member of the forum NicolaBeacon told me that the Peat diet made him feel like a plant. Alive but not doing anything productive. He found his own truth which was basically have moderate amounts of fruit, vegetables, meat, dairy and starches, grains without added pufa or toxic additives and no interest in legumes.

Last edited:

Vinny

Deleted

baccheion

What happens if fruit is consumed with salt and gelatin? Further, I believe adrenaline leads to cold extremities. Same with low GABA.

B vitamins increase GABA: B1, B3, B6..

Ella

Forum Supporter
yes it is expensive unless you get your own oranges by the crate an juice them. I have a muscle y body too and was suprised to see a lot of really muscle tone from the oj- not sure how that is but..... anyway, it is only a week and it can be hard to do but it makes you super happy and digestion is super good.
Did I read that you also started Metformin?

marmolx

@GreekDemiGod

I’m a total lurker, but I have been quietly following a lot of your posts and you’ve got me motivated enough to post.

Dude, ditch the Ray Peat effort. You’re only having problems. If your concern is anabolism, testosterone, etc, there are other resources to read on like anabolicmen.com and Christopher Walker. Both are very heavy supplement sales driven but the book Master Your T has enough good information on the subjects you’re looking for.

Trying to cobble together a Ray Peat diet has you going in circles of anxiety. Maybe read through @olive posts.

Even look at LeanGains.com and apply some principles to an alternative.

You’re too young to be fretting about on an old man diet like Peat’s. Read the alternatives and do some more vigorous stuff.

Maybe look at the website of ancestralsupplements.com or MarksDailyApple and modify their views to meet in the middle.

Also, to hedge off some predicted criticism that these guy’s are on hormonal support, so seems to be 50% of the forum so don’t let accusations of TRT sway you.

As a final note, take with a grain of salt - pun intended - any recommendation that more of something is the solution. Good things can become toxic and ‘not committed/perfect’ enough is a forever shrinking horizon. A full cup doesn’t become less so by adding more water.

Last edited:

Runenight201

Going to chime in here- I just did 7 day orange juice fast- and I used to hate orange juice and it did the same thing to me.... until... I just decided to go bonkers do nothing but fresh squeezed sweet orange juice from Gelsons. They squeeze it in the store. It is nectar. I add salt to it sometimes. Now I am adding back in some veggies and salads , but still downing the 11.99 bottles of the most amazing OJ ever. I will stop after this week... ( maybe. ) For me... I really had to find the freshest sweet orange juice from ripe oranges . None of the faux fresh squeeze stuff works. Also, when I went all in on it, like at least 32 oz a day ( ok, I had some coffee too ) all of a sudden OJ works for me. Only the Gelsons one though.

There’s a sams club in my área that has oj so fresh that I feel it penetrate deep into the inner cortex of my brain. For some reason I can’t get over the experience of drinking it. Coffee, sugar, milk doesn’t quite hit the same way, nor does lemon sparkling water and sugar. Undoubtedly it must be all the nourishment present in orange juice.

So I compared this juice to the average commercial Tropicana juice, and it wasn’t even close. Immediately my stomach started to bloat a little and I did not feel that same euphoria as compared to the freshly squeezed oj. And to think I grew up on the commercial stuff... I wonder just how much better people’s life would be if such high quality juice was the standard!

the sams club opens in 15 mins and the first thing I’m doing is picking up 2 fresh bottles of the stuff. How much oj did you go through a day? I hope I don’t need more than one bottle for economical reasons, but I will drink as much as my body needs. I always flirt around with various juice fasts, but eventually my body screams at me for some starch and meat!

M

member 2106

@GreekDemiGod

I’m a total lurker, but I have been quietly following a lot of your posts and you’ve got me motivated enough to post.

Dude, ditch the Ray Peat effort. You’re only having problems. If your concern is anabolism, testosterone, etc, there are other resources to read on like anabolicmen.com and Christopher Walker. Both are very heavy supplement sales driven but the book Master Your T has enough good information on the subjects you’re looking for.

Trying to cobble together a Ray Peat diet has you going in circles of anxiety. Maybe read through @olive posts.

Even look at LeanGains.com and apply some principles to an alternative.

You’re too young to be fretting about on an old man diet like Peat’s. Read the alternatives and do some more vigorous stuff.

Maybe look at the website of ancestralsupplements.com or MarksDailyApple and modify their views to meet in the middle.

Also, to hedge off some predicted criticism that these guy’s are on hormonal support, so seems to be 50% of the forum so don’t let accusations of TRT sway you.

As a final note, take with a grain of salt - pun intended - any recommendation that more of something is the solution. Good things can become toxic and ‘not committed/perfect’ enough is a forever shrinking horizon. A full cup doesn’t become less so by adding more water.

A lot of sense is contained in here.

M

member 2106

Does anyone else experience the same, I don't do well on a high intake of fruit and / or OJ.
Hunger, frequent urination, impaired sleep are the symptoms I get.

If I keep my intake low to 1-2 glasses of fresh, cold-pressed juice, I find it is just the right amount that leaves me refreshed in the moment. But whenever I try to go full-Peat, the symptoms mentioned above are there.
Since fruit is metabolized very quickly, I find it a hassle to always replentish your glucose / fructose intake throught the day to feel OK and to last through the night.

Should fruit intake be much more slowly increased for beginners to this metabilic diet?
Are there folks who never adapt to a high-fruit diet?

If it’s not working for you, then stop. It’s that simple.

D

danishispsychic

There’s a sams club in my área that has oj so fresh that I feel it penetrate deep into the inner cortex of my brain. For some reason I can’t get over the experience of drinking it. Coffee, sugar, milk doesn’t quite hit the same way, nor does lemon sparkling water and sugar. Undoubtedly it must be all the nourishment present in orange juice.

So I compared this juice to the average commercial Tropicana juice, and it wasn’t even close. Immediately my stomach started to bloat a little and I did not feel that same euphoria as compared to the freshly squeezed oj. And to think I grew up on the commercial stuff... I wonder just how much better people’s life would be if such high quality juice was the standard!

the sams club opens in 15 mins and the first thing I’m doing is picking up 2 fresh bottles of the stuff. How much oj did you go through a day? I hope I don’t need more than one bottle for economical reasons, but I will drink as much as my body needs. I always flirt around with various juice fasts, but eventually my body screams at me for some starch and meat!
I know right ? The fresh squeezed stuff - it really feels like a narcotic how happy it makes me feel. I did OJ for 7 days and just drank as much as I wanted.

OP
G

GreekDemiGod

@marmolx I've been following C. Walker a while back, did not apply his ideas, I do know he incorporates a few RP principles.
I also dabbled with LeanGains and honestly liked it a lot:
  • IF 16-8
  • carb cycling aka cycling high carb days with high fat days: probably unnecessary, too much of a high-level optimisation for aestethics purposes. And probably unhealthy on many levels.
  • High-carb and high-protein if removing carb cycling.
I don't think I'll be going back to IF though, I'm already quite lean (abs definition in good lighting) and looking to pack on muscle mass over the course of next year.

Gone Peating

I think you just need to eat what your body wants at that particular moment.

Stay away from veggie oils, nuts, raw veggies and you’ll do well.

The rest of your diet can be pretty much eating whatever you want to satiety

ExCarniv

Stay away from veggie oils, nuts, raw veggies and you’ll do well.

I'd add iron fortified foods and is important to find your sweet spot with Macros, you could eat the better foods but mess up eating too much fat, too much protein, too little protein or not enough carbs

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals