Niclosamide for fat loss/ uncoupling

LadyRae

Does anyone have any experience utilizing Niclosamide for fat loss via mitochondrial uncoupling? It is purported to have a similar action to DNP without the risks.... Thanks!

Tom K

Niclosamide ethanolamine-induced mild mitochondrial uncoupling improves diabetic symptoms in mice​

Hanlin Tao 1 , Yong Zhang 1 , Xiangang Zeng 2 , Gerald I Shulman 3 , Shengkan Jin 1

Affiliations
Free PMC article

Abstract​

Type 2 diabetes (T2D) has reached an epidemic level globally. Most current treatments ameliorate the hyperglycemic symptom of the disease but are not effective in correcting its underlying cause. One important causal factor of T2D is ectopic accumulation of lipids in metabolically sensitive organs such as liver and muscle. Mitochondrial uncoupling, which reduces cellular energy efficiency and increases lipid oxidation, is an appealing therapeutic strategy. The challenge, however, is to discover safe mitochondrial uncouplers for practical use. Niclosamide is an anthelmintic drug approved by the US Food and Drug Administration that uncouples the mitochondria of parasitic worms. Here we show that niclosamide ethanolamine salt (NEN) uncouples mammalian mitochondria at upper nanomolar concentrations. Oral NEN increases energy expenditure and lipid metabolism in mice. It is also efficacious in preventing and treating hepatic steatosis and insulin resistance induced by a high-fat diet. Moreover, it improves glycemic control and delays disease progression in db/db mice. Given the well-documented safety profile of NEN, our study provides a potentially new and practical pharmacological approach for treating T2D.

LadyRae

Niclosamide ethanolamine-induced mild mitochondrial uncoupling improves diabetic symptoms in mice​

Hanlin Tao 1 , Yong Zhang 1 , Xiangang Zeng 2 , Gerald I Shulman 3 , Shengkan Jin 1

Affiliations
Free PMC article

Abstract​

Type 2 diabetes (T2D) has reached an epidemic level globally. Most current treatments ameliorate the hyperglycemic symptom of the disease but are not effective in correcting its underlying cause. One important causal factor of T2D is ectopic accumulation of lipids in metabolically sensitive organs such as liver and muscle. Mitochondrial uncoupling, which reduces cellular energy efficiency and increases lipid oxidation, is an appealing therapeutic strategy. The challenge, however, is to discover safe mitochondrial uncouplers for practical use. Niclosamide is an anthelmintic drug approved by the US Food and Drug Administration that uncouples the mitochondria of parasitic worms. Here we show that niclosamide ethanolamine salt (NEN) uncouples mammalian mitochondria at upper nanomolar concentrations. Oral NEN increases energy expenditure and lipid metabolism in mice. It is also efficacious in preventing and treating hepatic steatosis and insulin resistance induced by a high-fat diet. Moreover, it improves glycemic control and delays disease progression in db/db mice. Given the well-documented safety profile of NEN, our study provides a potentially new and practical pharmacological approach for treating T2D.
Thank you! Yes, I've seen this study too. I am so curious to see how it works for non-mice 😜... @Hans mentioned it as a safer alternative to DNP...

Tom K

Apparently the benefits exceed the effects on the mitochondria. As with ivermectin, it has demonstrated antiviral activity, anti-cancer benefit, and anti-alzheimer potential.

Perry Staltic

Apparently the benefits exceed the effects on the mitochondria. As with ivermectin, it has demonstrated antiviral activity, anti-cancer benefit, and anti-alzheimer potential.

It's considered by some to be one of the top covid treatments in conjunction with bromhexine/ambroxol

Perry Staltic

Can you tell from where you obtained the Niclosamide?

She may have a different source, but this is where I was thinking of getting it from a while back. Didn't do it so I can't say if they're good or bad.

Aad

Study was on Niclosamide ethanolamine.

So not the same.

Last edited:

Peopleface

Yeah, Perry's link above. That's where I ordered from... Hasn't shown up yet...
What would your dosage be and for how long?

I came across a study I believe used 5mg/kg in rats or mice. But higher doses were also used if I remember correctly.

I am interested in this as well.

LadyRae

What would your dosage be and for how long?

I came across a study I believe used 5mg/kg in rats or mice. But higher doses were also used if I remember correctly.

I am interested in this as well.
The capsules have 500mg each. I'm going to start out by taking one with my breakfast and see how that feels for a while

LadyRae

That's what I was thinking as well.
I wish @Hans would comment here, as I first read of Niclosamide as being a safe uncoupling alternative to DNP in one of his articles. I'd like to know where he got HIS info from, and if he has ever tried it himself....

Hans

I wish @Hans would comment here, as I first read of Niclosamide as being a safe uncoupling alternative to DNP in one of his articles. I'd like to know where he got HIS info from, and if he has ever tried it himself....
I get my info from studies. :)
I haven't tried it myself, and don't think it's as well-known or common as DNP. I also think that any "short cut" for fat loss comes with some form of risk profile.

LadyRae

I get my info from studies. :)
I haven't tried it myself, and don't think it's as well-known or common as DNP. I also think that any "short cut" for fat loss comes with some form of risk profile.
Thanks for your time!!😊❤ - loving your podcasts, too. I'm always tuning in within hours of uploads....
Tawni