Niacinamide And Water Retention

Rand56

Hi all. Long time lurker here. It's good to know I'm not the only one who can't handle higher amounts of niacinamide. I can't even handle 50mg's of it. I suffer from dysthymia, and even the 50mg's makes me more lethargic, and consequently, makes my depression worse. Can even this low amount suppress FFA enough where I'd have to have enough glycogen stores to compensate? I don't get a hypoglycemic reaction, and anytime I've taken it, I've taken enough carbs with it.

Does anyone else who may have depressive symptoms, also can't handle even low amounts of niacinamide? I'd like to increase NAD, and I know many people on this board benefit from taking it, but I'm just so perplexed why I react so negatively to it. Thoughts? Theories?

Birdie

Well, now I'm mixing niacinamide with the cream I use on my legs. I just take a capsule and pour some into a little dish, then take some in my hand, then add the cream. It dissolves pretty well. I don't want to add dmso cuz I get tired of having to wash my hands afterwards... And the cream has additives you wouldn't want pushed in.

Still tolerating 50mg with food later in the day.

Birdie

Hi all. Long time lurker here. It's good to know I'm not the only one who can't handle higher amounts of niacinamide. I can't even handle 50mg's of it. I suffer from dysthymia, and even the 50mg's makes me more lethargic, and consequently, makes my depression worse. Can even this low amount suppress FFA enough where I'd have to have enough glycogen stores to compensate? I don't get a hypoglycemic reaction, and anytime I've taken it, I've taken enough carbs with it.

Does anyone else who may have depressive symptoms, also can't handle even low amounts of niacinamide? I'd like to increase NAD, and I know many people on this board benefit from taking it, but I'm just so perplexed why I react so negatively to it. Thoughts? Theories?
I don't have an answer but this is really interesting that you can't tolerate 50 even. But the bigger doses definitely make me lethargic. Anyway, niacin amide is just one of the tools and I think there are others who can't use it at all either.

Rand56

@Birdie thanks for your response. This is like my third time of trying niacinamide, and of course my first time was WAY too high on the mg's. I found out a long time ago thru trial and error why I can't handle a B-complex because of the niacinamide amounts. I'll try it again sometime, say 10mg's, to see what effect it has, but I'm going to put that on hold for the moment because I'm in the early stage of trying a few things to raise my DHT, and don't want to toss anything else into the mix that could rock the boat.

superhuman

Tried 500mg niacinamide before bed, and when i woke up today. I dont notice a difference in my water retention :( jeezus i hate water retention, wonder when i will finally resolve the issue

blob69

Tried 500mg niacinamide before bed, and when i woke up today. I dont notice a difference in my water retention :( jeezus i hate water retention, wonder when i will finally resolve the issue

How does your water retention problem look like? Is it just uniform swelling under the skin that causes "wrinkles" to be more prominent (this is what I have), or is it major swelling in the ankles or legs?

superhuman

@blob69 Its water retention/edema swelling in feet,ankles,calves, legs/lower body in general. its like the day starts of good when i wake up then it fills up as the day goes

tara

Thinking of making my bed elevated but that's another subject.
I thought I'd try it out about 3 years ago, and the blocks are still there under the legs at the head of the bed. :)

My caps are 250mg.
Going to try smaller doses.
+1
You could split one of those caps over 3-5 times a day.

Why the 75-100mg? Is that what peat recommends?
I believe Peat has suggested 50-100mg doses with meals, up to several times a day.

Birdie

I thought I'd try it out about 3 years ago, and the blocks are still there under the legs at the head of the bed. :)

+1
You could split one of those caps over 3-5 times a day.

I believe Peat has suggested 50-100mg doses with meals, up to several times a day.
Yes, I split up the capsules for a month or so. For a while I used some of it dermally in a lotion. That got to be too much trouble. For now, am taking it all at once later in the day with food. It's been okay that way, but was too much with breakfast.

I have blocks at the head of my bed, under the legs, about an inch and a half . I plan to add the same size blocks under my box springs.

Last edited:

Birdie

@blob69 Its water retention/edema swelling in feet,ankles,calves, legs/lower body in general. its like the day starts of good when i wake up then it fills up as the day goes
I've been doing a trial of msm lotion on my legs twice a day. And eating more salt. Have noticed improvement with this. I had previously tried dilute dmso but my legs broke out in a rash so had to discontinue. And decided to try the msm form instead.

Birdie

And I am using the niacinamide too as you can see above.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals