Niacinamide And Water Retention

Taking high-dose niacinamide (500 mg every couple of hours) seems to immediately (and quite dramatically) reduce the oedema I get on taking a pro-metabolic substance like aspirin, coffee or methylene blue. Nevertheless, the oedema returns somewhat with intense physical activity.

Dr. Peat had recently suggested that an adrenaline surge may be responsible for sudden shifts in body tone. From his articles I gather that niacinamide reduces FFA release. I surmise this is the primary mechanism behind inhibiting the adrenaline rise. Is this hypothesis correct? If so, then I have never quite gotten over the adrenaline sensitivity secondary to thyroid or coffee. Does the effectiveness of niacinamide in particular indicate anything regarding my dysfunction? Are there ways of complimenting its action?

Pointless

I'd like to know more about this, too, but I can't find much info on how niacinamide interacts with adrenaline. Here's a sketchy journal article about how niacinamide and other forms of B3 can recycle adrenline. This might explain why my adrenaline gets worse on niacinamide http://www.altmedrev.com/publications/13/4/287.pdf (I thought adrenochrome was from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas? ;))

But there are other reports on places like CureZone of people getting better sleep when they're having adrenaline rushes and they take niacinamide.

I'd like to get more solid information on this. One of the problems with being a Peatarian is now I can't trust anyone, and I don't know what to believe. o_O

Birdie

@Pointless,
Agree on last paragraph.

Would like to know more on water retention. Salt and caffeine seem to reduce it in my legs.
The retention began post starting Peat come to think of it. But that could easily be coincidental.

I noticed a huge improvement the day I ate a handful of chocolate covered coffee beans.
Also noticed rapid heart beat and difficulty falling asleep same day.

Drareg

Niacinamide can be a cofactor for adrenalin.
If you are high adrenalin already it may be wise to look at that as your main issue first, I suspect that adrenalin might not just be high in every case because of hypothyroidism.

I not sure if it's Ffa suppression is specific to stopping adrenalin, if anybody knows it would be a big help.

Birdie

@Drareg
Yeah, I guess the niacinamide supplement turned out to be the missing link in why I reacted with dizziness and brain fog post breakie.
I'd taken it that way for years. Some days was fine. Other days a mess. It wasn't the eggs...And tons of oj didn't help the way Ray said it should if the culprit were the eggs.

Now, taking it at bedtime or with last meal. I should be careful to see if I am taking it at bedtime if it does cause the increased adrenalin symptoms.

I didn't notice Ray's mentioning this but haven't read all or listened to all. Or I forgot it!

The thing is I've stopped taking it (B3) after bkfst and still at times get the adrenalin sort of rxn then. Maybe not as often.
More to learn here.

superhuman

@unexamined_whimsy hmm interesting. I have tried all sort of stuff to get ridd of my water retention/edema esp in my lower body. Would love to hear more about the niacinamide.
I take it but in smaller doses, like 150mg a day. RP has never mentioned niacinamide in context of water retention so hmm

lindsay

Would like to know more on water retention. Salt and caffeine seem to reduce it in my legs.
The retention began post starting Peat come to think of it. But that could easily be coincidental.

Do you take thyroid of any kind? I find thyroid, along with caffeine & salt, really helps with fluid retention.

OP
U
I discovered this effect by accident. It seems that given adequate carbs and less than extreme physical activity, niacinamide is able to completely rid me of edema.

Thyroid gives me the bloat with distinctly oestrogenic overtones. Salt loading helps in the medium term but the amount of sodium seems rather excessive for long term use.

Stilgar

I definitely agree that when thyroid gives you bloating and swelling, niacinamide reduces it. I noticed this effect too from all the stimulants - light, caffeine, thyroid, sugar etc, and it got worse over time, before I discovered that niacinamide was probably a missing factor. Actually, I got glossitis, which led me to realise that I likely had suffered a proper niacin deficiency (as opposed to using niacinamide for purposes beyond b3 as a vitamin) and had probably been low in it for some time. Perhaps other b vitamins too, but I am not sure. A milk based diet can be quite short in niacin without meat or a full 2 litres of orange juice, which I could rarely reach with all the liquid volume. I haven't been on niacinamide long, but so far, the swelling is much reduced. If I get enough niacinamide, and reduce stimulation slightly, my legs look half the size of what they used to be! A coffee will currently quickly cause a stress reaction and I will get swollen again. I am hoping it will get better over time.

GAF

Having a bit of a breathing problem due to gastroparesis so I added niacinamide to my small input amounts only regimen today and bloating and fluid retention seem reduced and breathing easier. I will see if I can breathe tonite while laying down on my right side.

Birdie

I took niacinamide at bedtime and noticed my heart was racing afterwards.
Discouraging because I would like to use it. I did take it with sugary food.
At the same time I'm trying to eat easy to digest food for my stomach cramps or gas.

Ive had trouble breathing the last couple of nights and needed an extra pillow.
Thinking of making my bed elevated but that's another subject.

But, re the leg swelling, I have been taking niacinamide at 250mg all along.
Maybe the incline bed along with the niacinamide would help if I can figure a way to tolerate it.

Btw, using extra sugar. And salt... Both for past couple of weeks.

Birdie

And, am slowly increasing caffeine Lindsey !

Ulla

I took niacinamide at bedtime and noticed my heart was racing afterwards.
Discouraging because I would like to use it. I did take it with sugary food.
At the same time I'm trying to eat easy to digest food for my stomach cramps or gas.

Ive had trouble breathing the last couple of nights and needed an extra pillow.
Thinking of making my bed elevated but that's another subject.

But, re the leg swelling, I have been taking niacinamide at 250mg all along.
Maybe the incline bed along with the niacinamide would help if I can figure a way to tolerate it.

Btw, using extra sugar. And salt... Both for past couple of weeks.
How much did you take?

Birdie

My caps are 250mg.
Going to try smaller doses.

Birdie

I am trying 100mg niacinamide with food.
Extra sugar. Reading the Peat quotes on niacinamide info on FPS.
Hoping to be able to use it at this dose for now.

Birdie

100mg is too much. Next try will be 50-75.
Thanks @Giraffe. Will consider theanine.

Birdie

Tried `75mg last night and it works. Will continue this and gradually up the dose when I can.

Re the edema, took many pinches of salt yesterday and awakened with much tinier calves this am.
Will continue this. Also, using salt on food. As for coffee, I'd rather take a pinch of salt with it instead of in it.

tomisonbottom

Tried `75mg last night and it works. Will continue this and gradually up the dose when I can.

Re the edema, took many pinches of salt yesterday and awakened with much tinier calves this am.
Will continue this. Also, using salt on food. As for coffee, I'd rather take a pinch of salt with it instead of in it.

Why the 75-100mg? Is that what peat recommends?
Is it still working for you?

Birdie

Why the 75-100mg? Is that what peat recommends?
Is it still working for you?
No, that isn't the amount he recommends. It's what I can tolerate at the moment.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals