Fatty acid oxidation - linking all illness (especially cancer) with stress and diet (fasting / low-carb)

haidut

Forum Supporter
The study below is one perhaps the most comprehensive review published to date, challenging the medical dogma that cancer is a genetic/mutation disease. As the study aptly explains, the evidence, spanning as far back as Otto Warburg's original work on this disease, is overwhelmingly in support of cancer being entirely metabolic in origin. Warburg stated that the metabolic defects seen in cancer are "irreversible", but that does not mean they are of genetic origin! To the contrary - the accumulated evidence strongly suggests that any genetic mutations observed in "cancer" cells are secondary and downstream effects of those cells' deranged metabolism. When Warburg said the metabolic changes are "irreversible", apparently he meant that in a strictly "functional" context - i.e. irreversible for as long as the factor driving them is still present. Remove that factor and the "cancer" cells likely revert to normal behavior/metabolism. So, what is that mysterious prima causa of cancer, causing initially its functional derangement (e.g. Warburg Effect) and subsequently its structural changes (genetic mutations)? Well, as the article convincingly demonstrates, (excessive) fatty acid oxidation (FAO), also known as β-oxidation, through the reductive state (lowered mitochondrial NAD/NADH ratio) it leads to is both a necessary and sufficient factor for the initiation, growth and metastasizing of cancer. Thus, FAO is likely that prima causa medicine has been searching for more than century. Conversely, inhibiting FAO is likely the most promising avenue for truly curing that disease, and likely other metabolic (all?) diseases. Speaking of other diseases, as the study demonstrates, there does not seem to be some critical, specific threshold beyond which FAO becomes detrimental. The pathological effects of FAO are basically on a spectrum - the more it is increased the more reductive the redox state of the cell becomes, and the more deranged its metabolism becomes in desperate attempt to allow the cell to survive in this pseudo-hypoxic environment. As such, the "seeds" of cancer development can be seen even in states that medicine considers perfectly normal, and even desirable. Namely, glucose deprivation (through fasting and/or low-carb diets), acute/chronic stress (e.g. exhaustive exercise), or even administration of "beneficial" drugs such as metformin. Any activity or substance that shifts the so-called Randle Cycle in favor of FAO will likely lead to pathology, and the severity of that pathology can vary from mild elevations of blood glucose, to insulin resistance, to diabetes, and ultimately to CVD, liver disease, and even cancer depending on to what degree the Randle Cycle has been shifted in favor of FAO and for how long that state has persisted. Btw, one of the most effective metabolic inhibitors that is consumed by people every day is PUFA. Ironically, as the study explains, the initial process of FAO actually favors PUFA as a substrate. So, PUFA seem to have a unique role as not only a universally-consumed metabolic inhibitor, but also as the preferred fuel of cancer.

If this hypothesis is correct, simple, cheap and widely available interventions may be able to truly cure cancer in many/most cases, as well as most/all other diseases (assuming they are all metabolic in origin). Namely, aspirin, quinine, niacinamide, thiamine, progesterone, pregnenolone, androgens, vitamin D, baking soda, methylene blue, vitamin K, tetracycline antibiotics, anti-serotonin chemicals, etc all have a role as therapies (especially for cancer) and their combination is likely to be even more effective than using any of those on its own. For very advanced or highly aggressive cancers, high doses of drugs such as Meldonium (Mildronate) may be needed to sufficiently restrict FAO, and adding aspirin would be highly synergistic as several studies on Meldonium/aspirin for heart disease have already demonstrated. Equally important would be practices such as avoiding dietary PUFA (and other metabolic inhibitors such as raw vegetables), limiting stress, and performing exercise that is mostly of concentric origin (biking, swimming, climbing stairs, jumps, etc) and only within the so-called glycogen-bound state (i.e. only until glucose stores are depleted and then the person must stop and replenish glycogen stores so that the person does not end up in state where FAO takes over within the Randle cycle).

A “Weird” Mitochondrial Fatty Acid Oxidation as a Metabolic “Secret” of Cancer

"...The main aspect of these pioneering studies is the increased mitochondrial ratios of NADH/NAD+, acetyl-CoA/CoA and ATP/ADP, and the accumulation of citrate in the mitochondria [70] (Figure 5). Currently, the study of antagonism between mFAO and glycolysis and accumulation of acetyl-CoA from fatty acid oxidation seems to have been forgotten. Even less attention is paid to the increased NADH/NAD+ ratio [83]. The increase in NADH has not been explained and has also been forgotten. The Krebs cycle could be inhibited by elevated NADH concentrations. High amount of NADH inhibits the PDH and Krebs cycle dehydrogenases and decreases combustion of pyruvate and glucose [87]. This is normal regulation when the amount of ATP is at the upper threshold in the cell, which decreases glucose combustion. Does this regulation also work for mFAO to decrease fatty acid combustion? The answer seems to be positive, given that the Krebs cycle can be inhibited by high concentrations of NADH.
"...However, mFAO consists of two parts—β-oxidation and the Krebs cycle. ATP does not apply the same force to β-oxidation, which precedes the Krebs cycle. We are accustomed to accept that at rest, the energy metabolism is self-regulating on the principle of feedback and the NADH/NAD+ ratio in mitochondria may vary depending on the utilization of ATP. Sahlin and Katz reported that mitochondrial NADH in skeletal muscles at rest is between 36% and 60%, while in the heart muscles it is between 4.2% and 13% [88]. So, that must be the difference in the redox state of the mitochondrial matrix between highly active tissues and tissues in rest. In rest, ATP has a feedback effect on all metabolic processes associated with its production. This also applies to the Krebs cycle."
"...In 2012, the same authors demonstrated that glucose deprivation without hypoxia also induces reversal of SDH-reaction [105]. It appears that β-oxidation, which is assumed to be activated in glucose deprivation, has almost the same power to reduce the Q-pool as accumulated NADH in hypoxia.The reversibility of reactions of the Krebs cycle is a revolutionary concept that is beginning to be discussed by scientists [101]. In the case of activated β-oxidation, it is quite possible for the Krebs cycle to be inhibited at the succinate segment by increasing the thermodynamic force and significantly decreasing the SDH activity, which will be accompanied by the accumulation of succinate."
"...The substrate specificity of LCAD overlaps with that of VLCAD and LCAD9. Studies show that LCAD is difficult to detect in human tissues such as the liver, heart, and skeletal muscles [135, 136]. The specificity of LCAD is to unsaturated fatty acids..."
"...Upon nutrient deprivation, the expression and activity of pyruvate dehydrogenase kinase increase, which inhibits PDH by phosphorylation [139] (Figure 4). This process is reversible, and in fed state, pyruvate dehydrogenase phosphatases restore PDH activity. However, upon nutrient deprivation, mFAO is activated and acetylation of PDH further inhibits PDH activity and this is irreversible if SIRT3 is not activated. "
"...However, the transition from fatty acids to glucose as a fuel requires increased SIRT3 expression, to increase PDH activity when glucose is already available. Therefore, the activation of mitochondrial sirtuins, especially SIRT3, is very important to protect the organism from certain pathologies [141, 142]. Endogenous regulators of SIRT3 have recently been described, including the best-known activator NAD+ [142]."
"...In 2007, Koves et al. found that obesity-related insulin resistance and high-fat diet are characterized in skeletal muscles by excessive β-oxidation and impaired transition to a carbohydrate substrate during the fasting-to-diet transition [154]. The authors report that factors, suppressing the import of fatty acids in mitochondria, protect against lipid-induced insulin resistance."
"...Decreased SIRT3 expression in high availability of fatty acids may cause a permanent dependence of cells on fatty acids as a fuel and compromised transition of their metabolism to glucose combustion."
"...As already mentioned above, Guarás et al. found that electron flux through the FAD-dependent pathway (via fatty acids or complex II) downregulates the content of complex I to adjust the electron flux from a different FADH2/NADH ratio [97]. This means that getting out of the β-oxidation trap is quite difficult and it is necessary to know the limit to which the NADH/NAD+ ratio in the mitochondrial matrix can increase."

"... Partial defects in complexes I and III should exert pressure on the Q10H2/Q10 ratio and should increase the inhibitory effect of β-oxidation on SDH. Inhibition of ETC will also increase the NADH/NAD+ ratio to inhibit α-KGDH and NAD-dependent IDH. In fact, some mutations in the subunits of complex I that are responsible for its deficient activity lead to stimulation of tumor growth and make cancer cells highly metastatic [219]. However, further inhibition of ETC could cause problems even for cancer cells that are completely addicted to glycolysis and do not rely on mitochondria for ATP synthesis [219]. Although the “β-oxidation shuttle” can provide ATP to the cell, the main function of this metabolic pathway is to provide cytoplasmic citrate. Aspartate is crucial for the survival of cancer cells, as it is the main precursor for the synthesis of purines and DNA synthesis, respectively [174]."

"...Theoretically, we can consider the coexistence of the two processes, “FAS+β-oxidation shuttle”, as a separate metabolic cycle when β-oxidation is overactivated, and the Krebs cycle is inhibited (see Figure S1(C) in the Supplementary Materials). For this artificial process, we can calculate that it is energetically possible and relies only on the availability of the NADPH. This NADPH could be produced in PPP or reductive glutaminolysis, if combined with NADPH-dependent isocitrate dehydrogenase and isocitrate-dependent NADPH exporting shuttle. The ability that cancer cells can express both metabolic pathways simultaneously, FAS and mFAO, sounds irregular. We are accustomed to assuming that it is not energetically profitable to synthesize a substance and decompose it at the same time."

"...Cancer cells in a high-fat environment, contrary to normal expectations, increase lactate production and glutamine consumption when mFAO is overactivated. We would like to emphasize the word “overactivated” because our opinion is that “mitochondrial β-oxidation over the energy needs of the cell” is the driving force behind all these peculiarities of cancer metabolism. Evidence of this is the ability to stimulate reductive glutaminolysis, as well as the consumption of fatty acids not only in cancer cells but also in normal cells when pyruvate is not available and α-KGDH is inhibited."

"...In conclusion, the findings described and analyzed in this article indicate that irregular overactivation of mitochondrial β-oxidation may switch to the “β-oxidation shuttle” due to insufficient activity of key enzymes of the Krebs cycle or PDH or ETC complexes. On the other hand, overactivation of mitochondrial β-oxidation can cause dysfunctions in the ETC, as well as in the Krebs cycle, especially in hypoxic conditions. The resulting overreduced redox state of the cells triggers compensatory pathways for nonmitochondrial ATP production and utilization of NADH, which is anaerobic glycolysis. The subsequent return to normal combustion of pyruvate and fatty acids may not occur easily and the delay may cause diseases, including carcinogenesis. It is still unclear what is the key event that turns cells into malignancy and makes this metabolic and redox state irreversible. One clue for the key events in transformation of cells to cancerous seems to be the increased utilization of overproduced citrate by the FAS and mevalonate pathway. Nevertheless, targeting and modulating the altered mitochondrial redox state by redox-active substances seems to be valuable therapeutic alternative, especially in cancer [235]. Surprisingly, the “β-oxidation shuttle” fits well with the Warburg effect, which has not yet been convincingly explained. When cancer cells are removed from their natural hypoxic environment, they could have normal oxygen consumption, but still prefer to convert glucose anaerobically. Increased oxygen demand of the “β-oxidation shuttle”, combined with the inhibited activity of PDH and partially inhibited β-oxidation enzymes, can lead to seemingly normal oxygen consumption combined with lactate production, inefficient mitochondrial ATP synthesis, and huge cataplerosis. This explains well the Warburg effect, as well as the uncontrolled growth and proliferation. Glycolysis and OXPHOS should not be antagonized, because OXPHOS can coexist together with anaerobic glycolysis when the “β-oxidation shuttle” is expressed. The possible inefficient synthesis of ATP in the “β-oxidation shuttle” provides conditions for some cancer cells to be dependent simultaneously on OXPHOS and glycolysis. As much inefficient is the mitochondrial ATP synthesis in relation to the “β-oxidation shuttle”, as more cancer cells should be dependent on glycolysis. The main role of the “β-oxidation shuttle” should be the export of citrate and the huge cataplerosis—the main characteristic of cancer cells. On the other hand, we consider that the overreduced mitochondrial matrix is a consequence of overactivated mitochondrial β-oxidation, and at the same time, a major cause of the expression of β-oxidation outside the Krebs cycle. Lactate dehydrogenase helps cancer cells to decrease the reduced state of the mitochondrial matrix by producing NAD+. This explains anaerobic glycolysis as a compensatory mechanism not only for the ATP production but also for mitigation the consequences of the enormously increased redox state of the mitochondrial matrix. The “β-oxidation shuttle” could be expressed to some extent under control in noncancerous proliferating cells, as well as in certain types of immune cells and embryonic cells. However, this expression should be reversible, while in cancer cells it should be irreversible. The “β-oxidation shuttle” may be tightly connected with some chronic diseases such as diabetes 2, obesity, fatty liver disease, and cardiac hypertrophy, but it is difficult to predict whether this "weird" metabolic pathway is reversible in these diseases. All these assumptions need experimental validation. It needs to be clarified whether it is possible to restore normal functionality of mitochondria after they fall in this metabolic dysfunction. The role of the β-oxidation shuttle” in impaired cancer metabolism should be an object of future studies. This could be a crucial metabolic “secret” of cancer."

Last edited:

yerrag

Thanks. I'm glad I can half-digest this type of post now. 6 more years on RPF, I hope to fully understand more of this type of posting.

It is the nature of sugar metabolism to be complicated and seeming to be God's way of having an elaborate machinery underneath what appears to be a very simple process for the bushman. But the current iteration of science, built on lies built on more layers of lies by institutions made mainly to legitimize lies, such as Nobel and Harvard and Pfizer, has made the simplicity of being ignorant of the complexity underneath untenable.

If driving a car went thru such a phase, driving a car would be called a science and the science would be filled with hazarda, and driving straight would be a great feat, and one may even believe that closing your eyes may help.

It has come to needing to explaining in very arcane language to explain simple ideas. Even as the alternative exists through empiricism. You can learn to drive a car and move on to enjoy using it. While the dumber guy who thinks he's smart tries to master the "science." You enjoy a nice date while he spends time alone in the garage and the parking lot figuring out the mechanics of driving a car.

Just because a car has many moving parts and relies on electricity, combustion, and mechanical devices to work, where many things can go wrong when not done right, doesn't mean it's better to go back to using what Cinderella used.

But we have one expert and they have lots and lota of fakirs. Selling keto and carni and what not. And people listen more to snake oil salesmen. Que lastima!

But that is the world we live in now. Made dumb and dumber by Talmudists and Freemasons. So we can't help but be strong and not fall into the long line that leads to the pied piper to our own cliffs of jagged sorrows.

If people can see clearly and make themselves healthy and free of drug and health insurance dependency, they can move on to bigger things, starting with thinking for themselves, then they would begin to get together to right the wrongs the Talmudists have sown.

Then, there won't be too many rabbitholes left and the task won't be as daunting.

Last edited:

youngsinatra

If we would inhibit fatty acid oxidation, wouldn‘t we need to refeed carbohydrate every few hours during the day to avoid energy substrate deficiency?
Because if we’d run out of glycogen then we would need to switch to burning fatty acids, but if that is inhibited (or rather reduced) then wouldn‘t we run into an energetic crisis? (low ATP)

I did noticed that when I am eating a good amounts of carbs with niacinamide for example, that I need to eat every 4 hours or so or I get a blood sugar dip and the feeling that my body has a hard time to switch to FAO.

I personally feel much better when I don‘t use (even mild) FAO-I because by doing so I can maintain stable blood sugar and energy with only eating 2 times a day or so and feeling like I have to have a carb source with me wherever I go.

I also noticed that I get dark circles under my eyes when I use FAO-I for longer periods of time, even when I consume high amounts of carbs. I saw multiple people reporting that too on the forum.

Kram

If we would inhibit fatty acid oxidation, wouldn‘t we need to refeed carbohydrate every few hours during the day to avoid energy substrate deficiency?
Because if we’d run out of glycogen then we would need to switch to burning fatty acids, but if that is inhibited (or rather reduced) then wouldn‘t we run into an energetic crisis? (low ATP)

I did noticed that when I am eating a good amounts of carbs with niacinamide for example, that I need to eat every 4 hours or so or I get a blood sugar dip and the feeling that my body has a hard time to switch to FAO.

I personally feel much better when I don‘t use (even mild) FAO-I because by doing so I can maintain stable blood sugar and energy with only eating 2 times a day or so and feeling like I have to have a carb source with me wherever I go.
This has been my experience as well.

yerrag

Inhibition isn't elimination. So there exists a kind of balance going on where the body both burns sugar as well as fat for energy, which is only natural and necessary, for the brain and red blood cells rely on sugar solely for energy, even though ketones can be used by the brain but not all the time. Whereas muscles burn fat at rest, but when active the muscles burn sugar from its glycogen stores as well as from blood sugar.

So much so that lipolysis gets inhibited the more as more insulin is present. What this means is that when sugar is being metabolized efficiently, and blood sugar stays at normal levels, and insulin is very low, the more lipolysis occurs. This means the body is breaking down triglycerides from its fat stores into fatty acids to be metabolized via FAO. In so doing, fat stores do not accumulate and the person does not gain weight nor get obese, and his serum triglycerides stay low as the fatty acids do not turn back into triglycerides because the fatty acids are being burned.

FAO is not bad. It is necessary. It is also how the body conserves its sugar for the brain and RBC to use.

Sugar metabolism is Batman to FAO's Robin. FAO should never be Batman.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

I also noticed that I get dark circles under my eyes when I use FAO-I for longer periods of time, even when I consume high amounts of carbs. I saw multiple people reporting that too on the forum.

I think @yerrag answered it quite well, but I would just add that it is "excessive" FAO that eventually drives the cell into cancerization, as per the study. We don't have a very specific idea of what "excessive" is but let's just say being in a low-carb diet, chronically fasting, doing exhaustive exercise, experiencing chronic stress, etc would probably produce such "excessive" FAO, either by intensity or through duration. So, regular, daily activities (without perceived stress, as most people define it) should not need FAO-I, but I would still avoid PUFA as it is inflammatory and estrogenic and both of these pathways can produce excessive FAO even without being under stress or fasting, or low-carb. That's pretty much how our grandparents (in the West) lived and many/most of them made it into their 90s (and beyond) and were very functional even into old age, and usually did not need any pharma drugs to get by. Compare this with the current children and teens, where a significant portion is already on drugs, most of them for life.
Occasional aspirin here and there (studies show even twice a week is enough for solid all-cause prevention) is probably all one needs (when eating a good diet) to drive the chance of most chronic diseases, including cancer, down to zero.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Thanks. I'm glad I can half-digest this type of post now. 6 more years on RPF, I hope to fully understand more of this type of posting.

It is the nature of sugar metabolism to be complicated and seeming to be God's way of having an elaborate machinery underneath what appears to be a very simple process for the bushman. But the current iteration of science, built on lies built on more layers of lies by institutions made mainly to legitimize lies, such as Nobel and Harvard and Pfizer, has made the simplicity of being ignorant of the complexity underneath untenable.

If driving a car went thru such a phase, driving a car would be called a science and the science would be filled with hazarda, and driving straight would be a great feat, and one may even believe that closing your eyes may help.

It has come to needing to explaining in very arcane language to explain simple ideas. Even as the alternative exists through empiricism. You can learn to drive a car and move on to enjoy using it. While the dumber guy who thinks he's smart tries to master the "science." You enjoy a nice date while he spends time alone in the garage and the parking lot figuring out the mechanics of driving a car.

Just because a car has many moving parts and relies on electricity, combustion, and mechanical devices to work, where many things can go wrong when not done right, doesn't mean it's better to go back to using what Cinderella used.

But we have one expert and they have lots and lota of fakirs. Selling keto and carni and what not. And people listen more to snake oil salesmen. Que lastima!

But that is the world we live in now. Made dumb and dumber by Talmudists and Freemasons. So we can't help but be strong and not fall into the long line that leads to the pied piper to our own cliffs of jagged sorrows.

If people can see clearly and make themselves healthy and free of drug and health insurance dependency, they can move on to bigger things, starting with thinking for themselves, then they would begin to get together to right the wrongs the Talmudists have sown.

Then, there won't be too many rabbitholes left and the task won't be as daunting.

Eloquently said. I think the Talmudists are on their last leg...but may plunge humanity into kinetic WW3 before they give up power.

youngsinatra

I think @yerrag answered it quite well, but I would just add that it is "excessive" FAO that eventually drives the cell into cancerization, as per the study. We don't have a very specific idea of what "excessive" is but let's just say being in a low-carb diet, chronically fasting, doing exhaustive exercise, experiencing chronic stress, etc would probably produce such "excessive" FAO, either by intensity or through duration. So, regular, daily activities (without perceived stress, as most people define it) should not need FAO-I, but I would still avoid PUFA as it is inflammatory and estrogenic and both of these pathways can produce excessive FAO even without being under stress or fasting, or low-carb. That's pretty much how our grandparents (in the West) lived and many/most of them made it into their 90s (and beyond) and were very functional even into old age, and usually did not need any pharma drugs to get by. Compare this with the current children and teens, where a significant portion is already on drugs, most of them for life.
Occasional aspirin here and there (studies show even twice a week is enough for solid all-cause prevention) is probably all one needs (when eating a good diet) to drive the chance of most chronic diseases, including cancer, down to zero.
Thanks for clarifying!

GodsHound

Haidut, do you think some FAO is essential for high intensity physical performance? I think I remember Ray saying that dietary fats are important if you have a high physical energy demand as they will spare glucose for the brain/heart. When I try to fuel my workouts (weight lifting with generous rest times) with fruit juice I will feel a blood sugar crash and cortisol rise quite quickly. Could slower-to-digest startches pre-workout solve this? I just feel that glucose burns up so quickly.

I am thriving on a high carb and medium saturated fat diet. I eat tons more starch than I was earlier in my journey and feel much better. I eat about every 4 hours. My diet is high in well cooked white rice and well cooked masa harina and tortillas, with some dairy and fruit. I don’t have as much sugar as I used to, not by a mile, but I do have fruit and some juice. I drink a lot of coconut water now Too. I seldom drink a Mexican Coke, preferring the coconut water with a little fruit juice mixed in, and maybe Gerolsteiner.

Vinny

This!…..“When Warburg said the metabolic changes are "irreversible", apparently he meant that in a strictly "functional" context - i.e. irreversible for as long as the factor driving them is still present. Remove that factor and the "cancer" cells likely revert to normal behavior/metabolism.”

yerrag

Eloquently said. I think the Talmudists are on their last leg...but may plunge humanity into kinetic WW3 before they give up power.
Definitely, on the ropes and barely holding on.

In just hope Putin isn't playing controlled opposition. Would like to see Germany and Japan rise together with the American heartland for confirmation.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
FAO is essential for high intensity physical performance

To the contrary - the high-intensity physical performance depends on carbs and once the glycogen is depleted and/or you exert yourself to the point of anaerobic glycolysis then the exercise should stop. If you continue beyond that then the body would switch over to predominantly FAO, which is good for long-duration low-intensity effort (long-distance jogging) but cannot really generate fast-enough the energy needed for high-intensity effort. The two types of fuels and the activities associated with them also depend on different types of muscle fibers - fast or slow twich and each one of them is optimized for the appropriate fuel/effort.
"...Slow-twitch myofibers have a high oxidative capacity and prefer fatty acids as substrate for ATP production. Fast-twitch fibers have a lower oxidative capacity and prefer glucose..."

GodsHound

To the contrary - the high-intensity physical performance depends on carbs and once the glycogen is depleted and/or you exert yourself to the point of anaerobic glycolysis then the exercise should stop.

Thanks. You mentioned biking as a good concentric exercise. When I cycle I find the pushing-down motion of the peddle stroke very pleasant. But when using foot-retention, to allow me to exert a pulling force on the upward stroke of the peddle, the movement feels harsh and uncomfortable - and often produces cramps. Would this be the difference between a concentric and excentric movement?

yerrag

I am thriving on a high carb and medium saturated fat diet. I eat tons more starch than I was earlier in my journey and feel much better. I eat about every 4 hours. My diet is high in well cooked white rice and well cooked masa harina and tortillas, with some dairy and fruit. I don’t have as much sugar as I used to, not by a mile, but I do have fruit and some juice. I drink a lot of coconut water now Too. I seldom drink a Mexican Coke, preferring the coconut water with a little fruit juice mixed in, and maybe Gerolsteiner.
I'm glad to know you're doing well on high carb and on starch at that. Since that hasn't been an issue with me, I find it hard to understand issues with carb and with starch a lot of people have. Not that I'm insensitive to issues that don't affect me. I'm glad you are working your way up to be fully sugar metabolic.

I'm glad to know you're doing well on high carb and on starch at that. Since that hasn't been an issue with me, I find it hard to understand issues with carb and with starch a lot of people have. Not that I'm insensitive to issues that don't affect me. I'm glad you are working your way up to be fully sugar metabolic.

Thank you very much!!!

I think Dr. Peat has said that people with severe gut problems may have to start with sugar and then move to starch due to already high endotoxin load.

I find some probiotics very helpful in healing gut issues.

yerrag

Thank you very much!!!

I think Dr. Peat has said that people with severe gut problems may have to start with sugar and then move to starch due to already high endotoxin load.

I find some probiotics very helpful in healing gut issues.
Yes, but it's a hard balancing act. Eat sugar, and risk blood sugar becoming unstable from the sudden rush of sugar. Eat starchy carbs, and risk feeding and growing the gut bacteria. But you're right about gut health being important. I think probiotics serve to balance the population of anaerobes that hide under the biofilm of the gut walls, but it's not a total solution. I believe it's more about breaking the biofilm to really bring down the population of anaerobes, which mostly are gram negative bacteria and produce endotoxins. They quickly die when exposed to oxygen. And since there are facultative anaerobes that will survive, a concurrent treatment with antibacterials will establish a lower and more manageable and balanced gut microbiome. I've recommended intake of chopped mature coconut flesh. The coconut oil in them doesn't get absorbed easily by the small intestine because the fibrous coconut keeps the oil from getting absorbed, and the oil finds its way into the large intestines. The insoluble fiber also absorbs the endotoxins, thus keeping diarrhea or loose stools at bay. Plenty of biofilm busters are available from herbs and from proteolytic enzymes and safe chemicals such as colloidal silver, copper acetate, and it didn't hurt me to use a few of them together at a time. I think this was instrumental in making my oral health get so well that I don't have any oral plaque anymore (although it came by accident as I was using antibiotics not for my gut but for internal bacteria where I had to use antibiotics.)