Need Help With Valium Dependency

Started using this Benzo for insomnia at 5-10mg three times a week at most for the past 20 years. Because I did not use it for anything but insomnia and certainly not everyday I did not consider that I may have an addiction. When I looked up the half-life of this drug a few weeks ago, I realized the reason I ‘needed’ it to sleep at least twice a week. There have been rare times when I did not need it for a week.

Realizing I have a dependence I decided to stop the drug 2 weeks ago. Of course I am having a difficult time and am unable to sleep. For the past 5 days I have taken 0.5mg of cypro at 10p because I cannot fall asleep. By 12 midnight I am wide awake again. Nothing works to get back to sleep - I eat, possibly take some aspirin, try to meditate, etc., but I am awake all night. Sometimes I can sleep for an hour around 9am. This has been going on for a week and out of desperation I have added Ambien 5 mg at 3am. Now I sleep til 7a but feel terrible.

I realize I am in withdrawal but do not know what else to do. Anyone out there with a similar experience? Any suggestions? I need off this drug!!

Frankdee20

At least this is a long acting Benzo and not something like Xanax. Maybe try switching to something even longer acting like Librium and taper down over weeks

Frankdee20

Actually Valium has the longest half life at 20-72 hours

aguineapig

I think in almost every case you are supposed to do a very gradual taper off of benzos. Are you doing that or did you just outright stop?

OP
GreenEyedBlonde
I stopped outright and the following 10 days were terrible with severe insomnia. Didn’t think I would suffer significant withdrawal symptoms because I wasn’t taking the Valium on a daily basis. After 10 days I finally took 10mg of Valium to sleep and now I have a plan for a gradual taper over the next two months. It was foolish to think I could just stop taking this drug abruptly.

D

danishispsychic

I have been addicted accidentally to a few pharma pills. I would strongly urge you to get off the Ambien. It is a garbage drug that will cause memory loss. In terms of Valium, I would suggest getting off that gradually ( very ) if you can or take micro doses in a " pulse dose " way- like every other day etc. Of course cut all caffeine and take STRONG epsom salt baths if you can. I am talking like a whole bag of that stuff in your bath. If you cant to that, get Mag spray and get super addicted to THAT stuff. Of course a supplement like Calm at night helps. I have found that large doses of Vit C is key to kicking ANY drug. Also, try Tart Cherry Juice concentrate 2 oz before bed. That stuff is like unicorn wizardry for sleep.

Last edited by a moderator:

akgrrrl

Yes, a long slow taper is the only way. Google Professor Heather Ashtons protocol from the 1980s valiumfest some of our moms were lured into. Or, scan the several benzo forums if you want more firemsthand anecdotal info.No MD will touch you once you say the words benzo addiction, so reading up on how GABA receptors have changed and how long before they restore is good. You are not alone. I was on for 16 yrs. All done now and life is completely different thanks to the wonderful people on this forum and IdeaLabs.

OP
GreenEyedBlonde
I have been addicted accidentally to a few pharma pills. I would strongly urge you to get off the Ambien. It is a garbage drug that will cause memory loss. In terms of Valium, I would suggest getting off that gradually ( very ) if you can or take micro doses in a " pulse dose " way- like every other day etc. Of course cut all caffeine and take STRONG epsom salt baths if you can. I am talking like a whole bag of that stuff in your bath. If you cant to that, get Mag spray and get super addicted to THAT stuff. Of course a supplement like Calm at night helps. I have found that large doses of Vit C is key to kicking ANY drug. Also, try Tart Cherry Juice concentrate 2 oz before bed. That stuff is like unicorn wizardry for sleep.
Thanks for suggestions. I do use the mag oil and mag glycinate but they do not seem to help. I read a thread somewhere on the forum that contained a link to a paleo forum. There were multiple posts concerning magnesium causing insomnia issues. Some ppl switched from bedtime administration to morning with relief, others stated any type of magnesium ingestion caused insomnia for them. Since I’ve been taking magnesium since my insomnia started perhaps they are linked for me too. I stopped the magnesium last night and have added in Hyland’s Sleep tablets (homeopathic) which worked although I still had multiple awakenings after 12 midnight. My last Ambien was Sunday night so perhaps the small amount left in my system comes into play here. I ordered the organic tart cherry juice concentrate today. Hopefully I will be able to discontinue these dreaded drugs in the next few months!

Last edited:

Frankdee20

Going to take alot of time to find homeostasis again.

OP
GreenEyedBlonde
Yes, a long slow taper is the only way. Google Professor Heather Ashtons protocol from the 1980s valiumfest some of our moms were lured into. Or, scan the several benzo forums if you want more firemsthand anecdotal info.No MD will touch you once you say the words benzo addiction, so reading up on how GABA receptors have changed and how long before they restore is good. You are not alone. I was on for 16 yrs. All done now and life is completely different thanks to the wonderful people on this forum and IdeaLabs.
Very interesting read. Thanks for the info re Dr. Aston’s protocol as it was very helpful!!

Inspired

The Ashton protocol has been pushed with a religious zeal, by a bunch of perpetual victim patients who have blamed all of their problems on benzodiazepines. These people are mentally ill.

The Ashton protocol is usually a bad idea. You'll never get off benzodiazepines if you taper that slowly. And valium.........is the worst benzodiazepine out there for most people because it makes you depressed and want to sit around and do nothing.

Valium is easy to taper off of. It's basically self tampering. Sure, you may feel bad and have insomnia, but it's over quickly.

The dose you used is low. The length of time is the problem for you. 20 years of having this medication available...... is the problem. Of course it takes some time getting used to not having it in your system.

Just taper down. Cut your dose in half. Then half again. It should be easy. Valium is very mild, and actually pretty weak.

OP
GreenEyedBlonde
The Ashton protocol has been pushed with a religious zeal, by a bunch of perpetual victim patients who have blamed all of their problems on benzodiazepines. These people are mentally ill.

The Ashton protocol is usually a bad idea. You'll never get off benzodiazepines if you taper that slowly. And valium.........is the worst benzodiazepine out there for most people because it makes you depressed and want to sit around and do nothing.

Valium is easy to taper off of. It's basically self tampering. Sure, you may feel bad and have insomnia, but it's over quickly.

The dose you used is low. The length of time is the problem for you. 20 years of having this medication available...... is the problem. Of course it takes some time getting used to not having it in your system.

Just taper down. Cut your dose in half. Then half again. It should be easy. Valium is very mild, and actually pretty weak.
So glad to hear that it will be over quickly and, yes, I feel quite unmotivated right now. I’m just hoping that once it is out of my system I will feel better. Never considered that feeling somewhat unwell for the past 20 years was partly due to a dependence on this benzo. Thanks for the good news.

D

danishispsychic

Thanks for suggestions. I do use the mag oil and mag glycinate but they do not seem to help. I read a thread somewhere on the forum that contained a link to a paleo forum. There were multiple posts concerning magnesium causing insomnia issues. Some ppl switched from bedtime administration to morning with relief, others stated any type of magnesium ingestion caused insomnia for them. Since I’ve been taking magnesium since my insomnia started perhaps they are linked for me too. I stopped the magnesium last night and have added in Hyland’s Sleep tablets (homeopathic) which worked although I still had multiple awakenings after 12 midnight. My last Ambien was Sunday night so perhaps the small amount left in my system comes into play here. I ordered the organic tart cherry juice concentrate today. Hopefully I will be able to discontinue these dreaded drugs in the next few months!
Really strong Epsom Salt baths will not keep you awake - trust.

gaze

Benzo addiction is very scary stuff. Had a couple friends affected by it. along with the other recommendations on this thread, I would say to focus on easing your mental stress load (which I know you’ve attempted) by continuing to work on it day in and day out. the best things for mental health conditions that rise from lack of sleep (which is usually a manic type of situation) is reading books, watching netflix, lots of ice cream, and a little nicotine/cbd/methylene blue. Basically just relax and enjoy yourself. I know it can seem like your going crazy without sleep, but just try and keep a positive attitude and find some enjoyment which takes the mind away from always thinking about not being able to sleep. I know it’s easier said then done, but try to incorporate these things into your lifestyle as best you can. I hope everything works out for you, your definitely one of the lucky ones who was able to cap yourself at a certain limit, because benzos can be very easy to go overboard with.

Jacob28

DEFINITELY try some cyproheptadine( Peritol), if low dose doesn't work, just increase it. I think it's better to take it instead of your 'beloved' and unfortunetely harmful benzo, even in super big doses. It's great drug for insomnia, it just lowers stress hormones in the body, especially that unpleasant serotonin, makes you calmer, in higher doses you just want to sleep.
You can also try hydroxizine, which is quite strong antihistamine drug, but it makes you more groggy.
Both are non addictive, and safe drugs( Peritol is even more safe), although tolerance increases rapidly. So I think you can use e.g. cypro for 1 week, then hydro for 1 week and so forth.

Absolutely worth trying. Of course other users' propositions are very good.

And of course don't forgot about sugar, protein and some T3 might help...

It's quite 'interesting', cause I have similar problem, not with sleeping, but I take codeine( opiate, cough syrup) for anxiety, bad mood and muscle pain. I guess it's not so serious, because I take it from February/ March, maybe 2-3 sometimes even 5 times a week. I do frequent breaks, 4-7 days but it's also my little addiction. I call it 'good state of being substitution' :/

Just out of curiosity, do you have other sticky symptoms or just sleep problems?

Last edited:
OP
GreenEyedBlonde
DEFINITELY try some cyproheptadine( Peritol), if low dose doesn't work, just increase it. I think it's better to take it instead of your 'beloved' and unfortunetely harmful benzo, even in super big doses. It's great drug for insomnia, it just lowers stress hormones in the body, especially that unpleasant serotonin, makes you calmer, in higher doses you just want to sleep.
You can also try hydroxizine, which is quite strong antihistamine drug, but it makes you more groggy.
Both are non addictive, and safe drugs( Peritol is even more safe), although tolerance increases rapidly. So I think you can use e.g. cypro for 1 week, then hydro for 1 week and so forth.

Absolutely worth trying. Of course other users' propositions are very good.

And of course don't forgot about sugar, protein and some T3 might help...

Just out of curiosity, do you have other sticky symptoms or just sleep problems?
I am really struggling with cutting back my dose of Valium - at this point I’m using 5mg 3 nights per week instead of 10mg twice a week. It is working somewhat but I definitely know when I need a dose. Last night I fought it and finally relented at 3;30 a.m. I have tried 0.5mg of cypro on the nights I don’t take the Valium. Sometimes it works and other times it doesn’t. I’ve added in tart cherry juice concentrate, have used magnesium at bedtime for years, have good sleep hygiene, etc. but nothing seems to work beyond a night or two. Sometimes I’m so exhausted that I nod out at 9:30pm for 15 min while watching tv and then I’m up most of the night feeling very wired.

I do have Hashimoto’s thyroiditis and take levothyroxine. Labs in June: TSH 0.02 and T4 was low to mid range. Endo cut back my dose and will retest in January. Pulse is in low 50’s, temps around 96 - 96.7 in morning. I’m also trying low vitamin A diet and although I’m not perfect I have really cut out all high beta-carotene foods (which I lived on for years). My weakness is dairy which cause most of my slip-ups.

Everyone has been really helpful with suggestions and I realize getting off this benzo will take time and patience. I’m just tired of sitting around in a stupor all day because I haven’t slept.

Nokoni

I am really struggling with cutting back my dose of Valium - at this point I’m using 5mg 3 nights per week instead of 10mg twice a week. It is working somewhat but I definitely know when I need a dose. Last night I fought it and finally relented at 3;30 a.m. I have tried 0.5mg of cypro on the nights I don’t take the Valium. Sometimes it works and other times it doesn’t. I’ve added in tart cherry juice concentrate, have used magnesium at bedtime for years, have good sleep hygiene, etc. but nothing seems to work beyond a night or two. Sometimes I’m so exhausted that I nod out at 9:30pm for 15 min while watching tv and then I’m up most of the night feeling very wired.

I do have Hashimoto’s thyroiditis and take levothyroxine. Labs in June: TSH 0.02 and T4 was low to mid range. Endo cut back my dose and will retest in January. Pulse is in low 50’s, temps around 96 - 96.7 in morning. I’m also trying low vitamin A diet and although I’m not perfect I have really cut out all high beta-carotene foods (which I lived on for years). My weakness is dairy which cause most of my slip-ups.

Everyone has been really helpful with suggestions and I realize getting off this benzo will take time and patience. I’m just tired of sitting around in a stupor all day because I haven’t slept.
In addition to the cypro, taurine and glycine may be particularly helpful for you. Both are GABA agonists, like Valium, but instead of harming your health they can, like cypro also, improve your health. I take 1 mg cypro, 2 1/4 teaspoons (so 1/2 teaspoon) of taurine, and 3 1/4 teaspoons (so 3/4 teaspoon) of glycine each night. I get a great night's sleep and feel like I'm making myself healthier at the same time. For the taurine and glycine I would feel comfortable, at least for myself, increasing the dose as much as necessary and then maybe backing off over time to whatever you end up deciding is an optimal dose. For the glycine especially, I've read that up to 15 grams per day (roughly 15 1/4 teaspoons) will just continue to improve health.

Nokoni

Here's some more information on glycine, which says that the 15 grams per day I spoke of above included all sources of glycine. Daily we produce and eat about 5 grams per day, so the supplemental amount needed for various health needs is actually about 10 grams per day.

A weak link in metabolism: the metabolic capacity for glycine biosynthesis does not satisfy the need for collagen synthesis. - PubMed - NCBI
In a previous paper, we pointed out that the capability to synthesize glycine from serine is constrained by the stoichiometry of the glycine hydroxymethyltransferase reaction, which limits the amount of glycine produced to be no more than equimolar with the amount of C 1 units produced. This constraint predicts a shortage of available glycine if there are no adequate compensating processes. Here, we test this prediction by comparing all reported fl uxes for the production and consumption of glycine in a human adult. Detailed assessment of all possible sources of glycine shows that synthesis from serine accounts for more than 85% of the total, and that the amount of glycine available from synthesis, about 3 g/day, together with that available from the diet, in the range 1.5-3.0 g/day, may fall significantly short of the amount needed for all metabolic uses, including collagen synthesis by about 10 g per day for a 70 kg human. This result supports earlier suggestions in the literature that glycine is a semi-essential amino acid and that it should be taken as a nutritional supplement to guarantee a healthy metabolism.

OP
GreenEyedBlonde
Here's some more information on glycine, which says that the 15 grams per day I spoke of above included all sources of glycine. Daily we produce and eat about 5 grams per day, so the supplemental amount needed for various health needs is actually about 10 grams per day.

A weak link in metabolism: the metabolic capacity for glycine biosynthesis does not satisfy the need for collagen synthesis. - PubMed - NCBI
In a previous paper, we pointed out that the capability to synthesize glycine from serine is constrained by the stoichiometry of the glycine hydroxymethyltransferase reaction, which limits the amount of glycine produced to be no more than equimolar with the amount of C 1 units produced. This constraint predicts a shortage of available glycine if there are no adequate compensating processes. Here, we test this prediction by comparing all reported fl uxes for the production and consumption of glycine in a human adult. Detailed assessment of all possible sources of glycine shows that synthesis from serine accounts for more than 85% of the total, and that the amount of glycine available from synthesis, about 3 g/day, together with that available from the diet, in the range 1.5-3.0 g/day, may fall significantly short of the amount needed for all metabolic uses, including collagen synthesis by about 10 g per day for a 70 kg human. This result supports earlier suggestions in the literature that glycine is a semi-essential amino acid and that it should be taken as a nutritional supplement to guarantee a healthy metabolism.
Thanks for that as I was just going to ask you about starting dosage. I will search the forum for info on taurine. These are two supposed I haven’t tried.

Kingpinguin

Started using this Benzo for insomnia at 5-10mg three times a week at most for the past 20 years. Because I did not use it for anything but insomnia and certainly not everyday I did not consider that I may have an addiction. When I looked up the half-life of this drug a few weeks ago, I realized the reason I ‘needed’ it to sleep at least twice a week. There have been rare times when I did not need it for a week.

Realizing I have a dependence I decided to stop the drug 2 weeks ago. Of course I am having a difficult time and am unable to sleep. For the past 5 days I have taken 0.5mg of cypro at 10p because I cannot fall asleep. By 12 midnight I am wide awake again. Nothing works to get back to sleep - I eat, possibly take some aspirin, try to meditate, etc., but I am awake all night. Sometimes I can sleep for an hour around 9am. This has been going on for a week and out of desperation I have added Ambien 5 mg at 3am. Now I sleep til 7a but feel terrible.

I realize I am in withdrawal but do not know what else to do. Anyone out there with a similar experience? Any suggestions? I need off this drug!!

Two advice. One take it slow. Progress is always progress. As long as your cutting the dose you are all good. If you feel its managable at this dose at the moment then keep using that dose untill its easy to get sleep then move on and cut. Dont cut to fast. Then take these 3 supplements. Magnesium at high dose you can tolerate without having to run to the bathroom, niacinamide at 2 grams per day or more as needed. Helped me when tapering a lot. And lastly l-lysine also helps anxiety a lot and has been shown to stimulate GABA in a non addictive way. But with time you will become clean. You just have to power through some shitty weeks/months

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals