OP
Luann

Luann

ro and haidut thanks for the alternative therapies

tara

OP
Luann

Luann

She's taking fish oil right now for her joints because they hurt, does someone know of a better supp? She shouldn't be taking the n-3's, according to all Peat's research.

Xemnoraq

@Liubo hi! I know this reply is late but I’ve been suffering from terrible insomnia this entire year something I’ve never had before, funny enough my body for a long time has had a lot of pufa stored but the insomnia didn’t developed until this year which was when I personally believe I had a run in with some heavy metals from black tea in China and cocoa powders and crazy eating habits. It has greatly impaired my life to function. So it is clear that heavy metals play a HUGE part in this my doctor has ordered the test for me to confirm.

Anyways getting back on track, for starters I would say she should get off the fish oil right away, all of the research peat has shown us has been more than enough proof that fish oil is absolutely toxic, and is the reason the problem is there in the first place for joint problems the long term fix is deplete stored pufa and heavy metals of course correct the reason the disorders are there in the first place the short term fix some supplements that I have had amazing experience with are ginger! Absolutely incredible at blocking inflammation and killing infections and bacteria (which bacteria can be a factor in things like arthritis) another is the B vitamins and aspirin they have serotonin antagonistic properties as well as improve oxidation of glucose which is good because it lowers the release of pufa and they block prostaglandins something that are a by product of Pufa that are inflammatory and causative factors in inflammatory disorders.

Xemnoraq

@Liubo as for the insomnia, some things I have used to drastically reduce the symptoms or stop them completely.

Basically every night if I did fall asleep I would have terrible nightmares causing me to wake up at 4Am every morning feeling like I had a stroke or got hit by a baseball bat to the head.

So again with insomnia I’m not an expert but my guess on the issue is a complex between heavy metals which disturb energy metabolism in the brain and cause lipid peroxidation ( release of pufa )

The heavy metals I believe work similar in the sense like pufa where they will throw off the ability to store sugar in the brain resulting in increased stress hormones and inability to sleep as a result because the brain is under ample amounts of stress.

So the long term fix I would guess would be depleting stored pufa to increase resistance to stress increase the brains ability to store and utilize sugar, getting rid of PUFA would be a big help for insomnia as pufa absolute destroys the brain and puts it under so much stress. I would honestly say get the heavy metals out they are likely more of the driving factor in the case of insomnia heavy metals are horrible but mix those with pufa and you’ve got a brain disaster!! So get out the metals and eliminate pufa avoid it like the plague.

Short term solutions here are things I’ve had amazing results with if I use these things I can fall asleep like a regular person or even better consistently

Niacinamide (vitamin b3)
Aspirin
Thiamine (vitamins b1)
Pyroxirine in small doses! (Vitamin b6)

All of the b vitamins and aspirin improve sleep by reducing the stress on the brain and improving the energy system to store and utilize sugar to keep stress hormones down during nighttime

Also...
Ginger
Again ginger works amazing taking off the inflammatory load and it increases circulation to the brain so ginger takes off the stress and improves energy function

I can wake up at 4am have some raw ginger as gross as it tastes, and boom I’m out like a light switch

Coffee / Caffeine
This may sound very strange but coffee if used in the right dose and with a meal and if tolerated properly can make you have the best sleep of your life again caffeine is anti inflammatory improves metabolism of sugar all those things but it has to be used properly

Lastly the RAW CARROT!!!!
A big problem with sleep is energy metabolism and inflammation and nothing throws off those thingngs more than endotoxin and bowel problems so sometimes cleaning the bowels will do wonders for sleep

So I know it’s been a while I’m not sure how things are now if she went forward with the chelation of avoiding pufa or if she still has insomnia but let me know how it goes if she’s still suffering I hope that sharing my experiences can help benefit her in reducing the symptoms and coming up with a long term solution

Last edited:

burtlancast

Use glucosmaine sulfate for joints: works very well.

Did you try iodine for sleep?
It has a regulatory effect on circadian rhythms, and can detoxify heavy metals: plus it neutralizes PUFAS by binding to them.

Xemnoraq

@burtlancast thats interesting so iodine? Did you find any references regarding that for studies I’d actually be interested to try it I fire regular iodized salt would be fine?

burtlancast

@burtlancast thats interesting so iodine? Did you find any references regarding that for studies I’d actually be interested to try it I fire regular iodized salt would be fine?

Sure, here are Dr Guy Abraham's papers.
Iodine helped my sleep and my circadian rhythm right after the very first 50 mg dose (i use Lugol).
I've read other anecdotal testimonies here on folks improving their circadian rhythm too.

While taking Lugol, make sure to simultaneously take magnesium chloride and selenium: they synergise toegether.

Hugh Johnson

So a functional medicine doctor is trying to get my mom to put down thousands of bucks for a heavy metal toxicity test and then treatment that would "depend on the individual" (they didn't specifically say chelation but that's a concern) and I gotta talk her out of this. She's not stupid, not at all, but is desperate to find a way out of her insomnia. She has childhood-onset insomnia that won't let her get a job or even feel normal, a.k.a. non-zombie, five days out of the week and six months ago she was so sleep-deprived we had her at the emergency room, the psych ward, everything we could think of. She's been on every sleep drug on the market and they just stop working for her after what she calls a "honeymoon period".

Does Dr. Ray Peat skype or engage in anything more helpful than email? I really want her to talk to him, like be able to tell her story and establish some trust in him. Or, second best, do any of you have success dealing with insomnia, that would convince her to try Peat-ing instead of throwing her money at this crazy a-hole??
You could consider coaching from Danny Roddy, Billy Craig or Nathan Hatch. Nathan has dealt with insomnia, and his book has a chapter about sleep.

I would see if milk, streching, GABA, red light, thyroid, carrot salad or aspirin helps. Heavy metals seem an unlikely cause, because this started in childhood, but some chelation agents like silic acid could be used safely even without a test.

Philomath

Sure, here are Dr Guy Abraham's papers.
Iodine helped my sleep and my circadian rhythm right after the very first 50 mg dose (i use Lugol).
I've read other anecdotal testimonies here on folks improving their circadian rhythm too.

While taking Lugol, make sure to simultaneously take magnesium chloride and selenium: they synergise toegether.
Is it best to take the Iodine/Lugols in the evening or does it really matter?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals