Natamycin And Cheese

dbh25

Is anyone familiar with natamycin? I bought some Parmesan cheese and just noticed it on the ingredient list.

DaveFoster

"Natamycin is used to treat fungal infections, including Candida, Aspergillus, Cephalosporium, Fusarium, and Penicillium."

"In humans, a dose of 500 mg/kg/day repeated over multiple days caused nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.[7]

No evidence shows natamycin, at either pharmacological levels or levels encountered as a food additive, can harm normal intestinal flora, but definitive research may not be available.[7] However, some people are veryallergic to natamycin. [8]"

Natamycin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Travis

I eat good cheese, but my family buys crap cheese.

I can tell that there is a difference between raw cheddar and pasteurized cheddar with natamycin. I would avoid it. You should buy a Parmesan wedge and microplane™ shredder!

There are brands that sell raw Parmesan since it is invariably aged over 60 days, the legal requirement for raw cheese.

OP
D

dbh25

@DaveFoster, Thanks for the info. @Travis, Yes I usually buy a brand from Italy, the one with natamycin (is cheaper) and made in the US. Do you find raw parmesan at a typical grocery store, or an organic grocer like Whole Foods?

Travis

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals