The Quest For Real Cheese

Rachel

Trader Joe's seems to have a selection of GMO free animal rennet cheeses. Unless they're big fat liars, of course.
Animal Rennet
This enzyme is obtained from the stomach region of a suckling mammal, usually a calf or a lamb. Animal rennet is the traditional rennet used to make cheese. Most European cheeses use animal rennet.

Animal

Authentic Greek Feta
Blue Castello
Chevre
Comte
Danablue
Extra Sharp Cheddar
Fontina
Gruyere
Imported Parmesan & Romano Grated

Jarlsberg
Parrano
Quattro Formaggio
Sharp Cheddar
Shaved Grana Padano Parmesan
Shredded Sharp Cheddar
Sliced Jarlsberg
Sliced Jarlsberg Lite
http://www.traderjoes.com/guides/rennet-test.asp

Eat 'em up, yum! :woo

WilltoBelieve

If this is true it would be great, but having spent countless hours studying labels, and many more hours singing the rhizomucor meihei enzyme blues I tend to be skeptical....

Whole foods sold a Tillamook cheddar recently which claimed to have animal rennet only. I wondered how this could be since all their cheeses use the enzyme... I suspect they bought the cheese and packaged it for sale. Hard cheeses have less of the enzyme (it goes out with the whey to some extent) and the aging I assume helps to reduce the effectiveness of the enzyme. Usually it takes about a week of daily eating an enzyme containing hard/aged cheese before I notice any effects (fresh cheese with high moisture can be a real trip).

Ray-Z

Rachel: Does this abundance of cheese in San Antonio explain why your pro basketball team employs three Frenchmen?

WTB: Thanks for the tip re hard cheeses.

Orchid

I frequent Trader Joe's for their cheese selection. It's fairly priced too.

Ray-Z

Rachel said:
Ray-Z said:
Rachel: Does this abundance of cheese in San Antonio explain why your pro basketball team employs three Frenchmen?
Je ne sais pas. ;)

Zut alors! Quelle dommage! :eek

[Aside: I'm familiar with only a handful of French expressions. My favorite is "Il y a un poisson dans votre bibliotheque," meaning "There is a fish in your library." :mrgreen: ]

OP
Rachel

Rachel

Ray-Z said:
Rachel said:
Ray-Z said:
Je ne sais pas. ;)

[Aside: I'm familiar with only a handful of French expressions. My favorite is "Il y a un poisson dans votre bibliotheque," meaning "There is a fish in your library." :mrgreen: ]
Likewise. BTW, that's my favorite for cocktail parties. :geek:

Ray-Z

Rachel said:
Ray-Z said:

Likewise. BTW, that's my favorite for cocktail parties. :geek:

:lol:

You clearly attend some amazing cocktail parties. I won't ask whether the hosts provide their guests certain anti-serotonin agents. ;)

Pet Peeve

The company making Jarlsberg and Norvegia has just announced that they're starting to use microbial rennet across their entire product line, after pressure from vegetarians and muslim immigrants. :(

Herbie

The company making Jarlsberg and Norvegia has just announced that they're starting to use microbial rennet across their entire product line, after pressure from vegetarians and muslim immigrants. :(

Source?

Bad news :(

Herbie

Thats a damn shame.

Ill keep eating it until I notice a difference.

I usually eat a kg a week of either Norvegia or Jarlsberg, ill find another source which still use animal rennet.

Pet Peeve

Thats a damn shame.

Ill keep eating it until I notice a difference.

I usually eat a kg a week of either Norvegia or Jarlsberg, ill find another source which still use animal rennet.

I've written to them. Maybe they'll continue to use animal rennet in the aged cheeses... Also seems they'll continue to use it in a cheese called Sveitser, but it's much more expensive. The thing is that they slap a big tax on imported cheeses in Norway to protect local dairyfarmers, so in a way it's like an official institution you can complain to.

sladerunner69

Wow I had not realized that microbial was not the same as annimal rennet. I thought microbes were technically f the animalia kingdom...

Herbie

Rhizomucor miehei is the fungus used instead of rennet from the 4th stomach of a calf.

Steve123

Any update on the type of rennet used for the jarlsberg cheese? I have messaged them myself but no reply yet.

Jarlsberg is produced in Norway and Ireland (for the uk market anyway) and I think they use veg rennet For the cheese made in Ireland and Animal rennet for the cheese made in Norway..

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom