What kind of cheese do you eat?

Discussion in 'Cheese' started by Satan, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Satan

Satan Member

No amount of sugar and salt can stop the aftermath of lactose consumption for me. I was drinking milk for about two weeks and ended it when one day I felt like I'd just eaten a bowl of cereal...then a bad thing happened, several times. Cheese is still easy protein and nutrition and I can tolerate Parmigiano Reggiano just fine. Problem is, paying $20 a pound for cheese isn't so practical for me, and everything else I find has enzymes/cultures/bubonic plague in it. It seems like people here talk about eating cheese regularly but rarely speak of the variety or the source. What do you guys eat?

2. kiran

kiran Member

Have you tried consuming lactose away from starch?

Starch might include HFCS and many brands of OJ.

3. OP
    Satan

Satan Member

Haven't had starch in months. Reintroducing milk brought back many familiar feelings in my gut that I never thought to associate with milk when I was eating a standard western diet.

4. Dean

Dean Member

Daisy brand cottage cheese is pretty clean, depending on how you feel about cultured milk. Some people rinse it to remove lactic acid. I have issues with milk as well, but am tolerating heavily sugared whole milk increasingly well. I've just started making milk jello too, which seems to help with digestibility.

5. jaketthomas

jaketthomas Member

I like Applegate Farms Organic Cheddar Cheese. It has 4 ingredients, hormone/antibiotic free, and it's reasonably priced at $4.69/package, which is enough for 2 meals/4 snacks.

6. jaa

jaa Member

Can a cheese with bacterial cultures be healthy? Pretty much every cheese I find here has bacterial cultures (aside from one norweigan whey cheese). I can get a Parmigiano Reggiano from Costco that is made with raw cow's milk, salt, animal rennet, and bacterial culture (so close!). Is it worth spending my money on that cheese?

7. Isadora

Isadora Member

IMHO, if it's imported from Italy, then no, it's not worth it. Their cows are fed grains, overwhelmingly.

http://www.eatwild.com/products/ -- I'd look here for good sources of cheese from grass fed animals if I were you. I believe grass fed beats other considerations when it comes to cheese... Or milk. Or meat.

8. bradley

bradley Member

Isadora, Parmigiano Reggiano cheese is made exclusively from cows fed on fresh grass or hay.

9. Isadora

Isadora Member

@bradley: You're right! Good news then!

Too bad it is a little too intense for me to use as a frequent snack, but maybe others fare better on it.

Are you aware of any other (preferably softer) D.O.C. cheeses which share this grass-fed quality?

Somebody must have done this research somewhere, I'll look into it as well.

Thank you for pointing that out, bradley!

10. jaa

jaa Member

Do you think that parmigiano reggiano with the bacterial cultures is safe to eat?

11. biggirlkisss

biggirlkisss Member

I have to make cheese myself. There is so much crap in cheeses you buy in store. It's crazy.

12. Jenn

Jenn Member

We eat Walmart mozz mostly. It's cheap, white and made with vinegar, not cultured. We get a grating cheese on occasion.

13. Austin

Austin Member

Trader Joe's Organic New Zealand White Cheddar. $4.29 a bar.