My Experiment: High Carb, Low Fat

cbar09

Sorry didn't see the other attachment you had with your foods. I would avoid the egg whites beaters - the yolk really has most of the good nutrients in an egg and the white's protein can be inflammatory. I think the cod and the beef is probably a bit excessive. I would cut back to one or the other - 8oz of meat plus all the other protein is a lot. That's cutting about 65g of protein right there (egg whites plus 4oz meat or fish) and with all your dairy and eggs you'll still have plenty.

I'd add a few more cups of fruit juice and/or other dense carb source (dates, milk chocolate, potato, etc.) to get your carbs up - I don't think you need to cut down the total calories.

Edit: added up protein wrong

4peatssake

Re: Hello Peating, goodbye autoimmune issues and belly fat

mamaherrera said:
Here it is I mean!
Charlie and cbar09 both made some good points.

Here's my input.

I would at least double my milk and better yet try for 4 cups. I would also drink 2 per cent milk if I wanted more calories - 1 per cent if I didn't. I would avoid skim milk.

Do you tolerate orange juice?

I make a homemade Orange Julius drink with equal parts oj and milk, pineapple and coconut cream or milk if you can find it without gums. I add Great Lakes (green can) gelatin to it. I blend it in the blender to make it frothy. Very nutrient dense. Pineapple can be problematic so use only if tolerated.

I would also ditch the eggs whites and have 2 eggs cooked in coconut oil. Adding coconut oil to your diet would be another good idea. If you get tired of cooked eggs, you can make eggnog if you tolerate raw egg. I love this drink especially if I'm not feeling well.

I would also ditch the rice cakes and celery. I read that and think diet food. :lol:

Eat more sugar. I add sugar or honey to almost everything.

Do you tolerate liver? Liver once a week (I soak it for a couple of hours in milk and fry in butter and onions) is recommended. Also shellfish once a week - oysters, scallops, lobster. White fish is good and I see you are eating that.

Here's a sample diet I put together for myself a long time ago. I added chicken once a week to that as I have been eating chicken once a week lately for variety.

DAILY

1-2 litres of 1% milk (you could do 2 per cent for additional calories)
1 litre of orange juice (minimum of .5 litre)
Fruit as much as I want
3-4 espresso + milk + sugar (I use at least a TB of sugar per mug)
2 eggs
3-6 TB gelatin (7 g of protein per TB)
Coconut oil - at least 1 TB
Raw carrot or raw carrot salad
Salt to taste

WEEKLY

Beef or calf liver - once per week
Grilled steak - once per week (maximum 2x per week) - eat with gelatin
Lean ground beef patty with cheese (1-2x per week) - eat with gelatin
Mushrooms - grilled with butter and garlic - have with steak (just because I love them ;) )
Cheese - for protein on days when not eating meat
Shellfish - once per week, sometimes more
Potatoes cooked at least 40 minutes, with milk and butter and salt (occasionally)
Oysters (smoked, in olive oil)
Scallops (pan seared in butter and olive oil, occasionally)
chicken stir fry - biweekly (recipe: organic chicken in coconut sauce and coconut oil in wok, occasionally stir fry broccoli to appease family and steamed white basmati rice)
chicken stuffed with mozzarella and asparagus spears - on alternate week of chicken stir fry

Also, if tolerated and depending on gut issues, you could add steel cut oats with milk and sugar or honey. Honey is another good addition if tolerated and dark chocolate. I don't tolerate chocolate and avoid.

Peat says to avoid starch completely if you have gut issues. Bone broth and Ray Peat Protein Potato Soup is healing to the gut.

The most important thing is to avoid PUFA and eat enough sugar. Enough salt is important and you can add a pinch of salt or baking soda to OJ may help as well.

These are just a few basics. Everyone must tweat things to suit their bodies and individual situation.

Hope this helps.

If you PM me, I can send you more information I have collected specifically about Peat's diet recommendations. I am out of town the rest of today but can send it out later if you wish.

OP
M

mamaherrera

Really, too much protein is bad too?? I'll try and cut down to 150 or so, cuz I am trying to increase muscle mass. Also, yes stress is something I do way too much. I do 1 tsp of sugar in my milk as it is, but if I add another, should that be enough sugar for the niacinamide???? Also, with as much milk as I'm drinking and I still couldn't get a perfect cal/phos ratio. I am kind of worried that I'm not getting 100% iron, as I am nursing.

J

j.

mamaherrera said:
Really, too much protein is bad too?? I'll try and cut down to 150 or so, cuz I am trying to increase muscle mass. Also, yes stress is something I do way too much. I do 1 tsp of sugar in my milk as it is, but if I add another, should that be enough sugar for the niacinamide???? Also, with as much milk as I'm drinking and I still couldn't get a perfect cal/phos ratio. I am kind of worried that I'm not getting 100% iron, as I am nursing.

I think appetite for sugar is a good guide to how much you need. When you have enough, sweet things aren't desirable.

natedawggh

Muscle building comes from carbs, not "protein." And btw there is protein in nearly everything whole food you eat, not just muscle meats, and the protien balances in fruit and milk are better at lowering stress in the human body. When I was a swimmer we would gorge on spaghetti... Just sauce and noodles and I put on 60 lbs of muscle in 8 months (im a tall guy). (Too bad I didn't know about wheat being bad back then though).

Eating high carb naturally suppresses the release of free fatty acids, Dr Peat says. So you're in the clear there naturally from what you're doing. Just keep your blood sugar regular. You should be fine with thyroid when breast feeding, you can really take too much and I doubt much would get to your kid anyway, and if you took a small dose of pregnenolone your body converts it right away to whatever it wants and you should be fine. Just avoid large doses.

coffeelover

Re: Hello Peating, goodbye autoimmune issues and belly fat

Charlie and cbar09 both made some good points.

Here's my input.

I would at least double my milk and better yet try for 4 cups. I would also drink 2 per cent milk if I wanted more calories - 1 per cent if I didn't. I would avoid skim milk.

Do you tolerate orange juice?

I make a homemade Orange Julius drink with equal parts oj and milk, pineapple and coconut cream or milk if you can find it without gums. I add Great Lakes (green can) gelatin to it. I blend it in the blender to make it frothy. Very nutrient dense. Pineapple can be problematic so use only if tolerated.

I would also ditch the eggs whites and have 2 eggs cooked in coconut oil. Adding coconut oil to your diet would be another good idea. If you get tired of cooked eggs, you can make eggnog if you tolerate raw egg. I love this drink especially if I'm not feeling well.

I would also ditch the rice cakes and celery. I read that and think diet food. :lol:

Eat more sugar. I add sugar or honey to almost everything.

Do you tolerate liver? Liver once a week (I soak it for a couple of hours in milk and fry in butter and onions) is recommended. Also shellfish once a week - oysters, scallops, lobster. White fish is good and I see you are eating that.

Here's a sample diet I put together for myself a long time ago. I added chicken once a week to that as I have been eating chicken once a week lately for variety.

DAILY

1-2 litres of 1% milk (you could do 2 per cent for additional calories)
1 litre of orange juice (minimum of .5 litre)
Fruit as much as I want
3-4 espresso + milk + sugar (I use at least a TB of sugar per mug)
2 eggs
3-6 TB gelatin (7 g of protein per TB)
Coconut oil - at least 1 TB
Raw carrot or raw carrot salad
Salt to taste

WEEKLY

Beef or calf liver - once per week
Grilled steak - once per week (maximum 2x per week) - eat with gelatin
Lean ground beef patty with cheese (1-2x per week) - eat with gelatin
Mushrooms - grilled with butter and garlic - have with steak (just because I love them ;) )
Cheese - for protein on days when not eating meat
Shellfish - once per week, sometimes more
Potatoes cooked at least 40 minutes, with milk and butter and salt (occasionally)
Oysters (smoked, in olive oil)
Scallops (pan seared in butter and olive oil, occasionally)
chicken stir fry - biweekly (recipe: organic chicken in coconut sauce and coconut oil in wok, occasionally stir fry broccoli to appease family and steamed white basmati rice)
chicken stuffed with mozzarella and asparagus spears - on alternate week of chicken stir fry

Also, if tolerated and depending on gut issues, you could add steel cut oats with milk and sugar or honey. Honey is another good addition if tolerated and dark chocolate. I don't tolerate chocolate and avoid.

Peat says to avoid starch completely if you have gut issues. Bone broth and Ray Peat Protein Potato Soup is healing to the gut.

The most important thing is to avoid PUFA and eat enough sugar. Enough salt is important and you can add a pinch of salt or baking soda to OJ may help as well.

These are just a few basics. Everyone must tweat things to suit their bodies and individual situation.

Hope this helps.

If you PM me, I can send you more information I have collected specifically about Peat's diet recommendations. I am out of town the rest of today but can send it out later if you wish.
Hi, I know this is super old but do you still have the info you collected on diet recommendations? Have you been eating this way for the past 8 years and how are things going? I like the way you really simplified it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals