My Experiment: High Carb, Low Fat

mamaherrera

I am now changing ratios, and doing high carbs. low fat. Hoping I don't lose hair from lowering fat. Someone said that should not happen because free fatty acids are released in the body, now that's good if I start losing some of my body fat that I don't want, but if free fatty acids are released from my stored fat, than I'll have PUFAs from the past swimming in my body. How can I help counteract against that???
And if I am to try pregnenolone, how much is a good starting dose??? And has anyone ever experienced hair loss from taking pregnenolone?

OP
M

mamaherrera

but I always have high androgens, which I don't want, in fact I want to lower. So doesn't pregnenolone raise testosterone??? And does Peat recommend to take it every day for long times, or just a few days per month??? I just don't need any more hair growth on my chin from pregnenolone.

J

j.

In every animal study I've seen it balanced hormones in a positive way. Nevertheless, there are bad anecdotes. Whether that's from additives, a low dose, or the pregnenolone itself, I don't know.

OP
M

mamaherrera

Thanks Peata, and you've never had hair loss from taking it?? do you take it daily, or just a few days per month?

Peata

On the forum, I have an account of what happened when I started taking it and had bad side effects. Hair loss was not one. I just felt terrible on the dose. I lowered the dose and have been OK. But it seems like after a while at even a low dose I have to stop taking it for a day or I start getting the side effects. But mine seems to be a weird case. I don't think anyone else has had that happen.

For the last couple weeks I've taken it pretty much daily, anywhere from 17 mg to 25.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
mamaherrera said:
I am now changing ratios, and doing high carbs. low fat. Hoping I don't lose hair from lowering fat. Someone said that should not happen because free fatty acids are released in the body, now that's good if I start losing some of my body fat that I don't want, but if free fatty acids are released from my stored fat, than I'll have PUFAs from the past swimming in my body. How can I help counteract against that???
And if I am to try pregnenolone, how much is a good starting dose??? And has anyone ever experienced hair loss from taking pregnenolone?
Maybe you should email Peat about using pregnenolone while breastfeeding. I wish I knew the answer and maybe someone on the forum does but I would be cautious about any supplemental hormones (even normally safe Peat approved ones) while breastfeeding. That's just my honest opinion. I don't even think I would worry too much about weight loss while breastfeeding for that matter. If some weight comes off by lowering fat then great but the number one concern should really be producing adequate milk for you precious baby. :2cents

Peata

I somehow missed where she said she was breastfeeding. So yeah, I would go with what Blossom said in that case.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Peata said:
I somehow missed where she said she was breastfeeding. So yeah, I would go with what Blossom said in that case.
It was in another thread. If you have stopped breastfeeding mamaherra then please disregard my post. :D

OP
M

mamaherrera

Yes I asked Peat, he didn't answer me that one on breastfeeding, but I asked him again. Thanks. Yes I'm not worried about losing weight so much as in that now I'm trying to up carbs, and lower fat and I don't want to think my stored fat will start coming off and have all these free PUFA"s inside me, making me worse. It's hard to become unaddicted to stress. If he says I can do preg, I guess start with 100 and lower if needed????? Hopefully no one has had hair loss. I see it listed as a side effect if taken long term, but Peat says it should not do that, that there is no reason for that to happen.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
mamaherrera said:
Yes I asked Peat, he didn't answer me that one on breastfeeding, but I asked him again. Thanks. Yes I'm not worried about losing weight so much as in that now I'm trying to up carbs, and lower fat and I don't want to think my stored fat will start coming off and have all these free PUFA"s inside me, making me worse. It's hard to become unaddicted to stress. If he says I can do preg, I guess start with 100 and lower if needed????? Hopefully no one has had hair loss. I see it listed as a side effect if taken long term, but Peat says it should not do that, that there is no reason for that to happen.
I haven't had any hair loss and I've taken pregnenolone for close to 9 months. I know I'm just one person and everyone is different though. If you are taking niacinamide that should protect some against the potential damage from released PUFA. I thought that niacinamide had been mentioned in a previous thread and that you might be taking it.

OP
M

mamaherrera

no i do remember, but I've been so overwhelmed with all this new information, that I forgot about niacinamide being good for that reason. Thanks. And i do remember that niacinamide should be taken with carbs. .. what's a good starting dose for that one????

Blossom

Forum Supporter
mamaherrera said:
no i do remember, but I've been so overwhelmed with all this new information, that I forgot about niacinamide being good for that reason. Thanks. And i do remember that niacinamide should be taken with carbs. .. what's a good starting dose for that one????
I'm going to say 100mg twice per day and welcome corrections from anyone reading this if it is wrong! Please chime in.... :)

OP
M

mamaherrera

gosh Peat must be avoiding me by twice, and he doesn't say if it's safe to take pregnenolone while breastfeeding. Should I assume that means no???? Hopefully others chime in. I am thinking about trying the thyroid supplement, I have it, but again, is it safe while breastfeeding/? Plus I get a bit nervous playing with drugs on my own.

J

j.

Peat not answering maybe means he doesn't know.

Thyroid is kinda obvious I think when you're taking too much, at least for me. Your pulse goes up unusually high, or you get very hungry, or you feel tense from enhanced sensitivity to adrenalin, which is something thyroid does at the beginning, when that happens I think one should stop and restart at a lower dose.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
mamaherrera said:
gosh Peat must be avoiding me by twice, and he doesn't say if it's safe to take pregnenolone while breastfeeding. Should I assume that means no???? Hopefully others chime in. I am thinking about trying the thyroid supplement, I have it, but again, is it safe while breastfeeding/? Plus I get a bit nervous playing with drugs on my own.
Sometimes I just wonder how truly busy he must be, it's almost unfathomable really. If we think about it we know we get some hormones from drinking milk ourselves so your baby will obviously get some hormones from you as well. I guess if it were me I would probably wait on the pregnenolone until I was done breastfeeding. It's been awhile for me but I really don't think pregnancy and breastfeeding haven't changed all that much. Maybe you could start a thread called something like 'should I take pregnenolone while breastfeeding?' and get a variety of input. That's just my extra cautious perspective.

cbar09

mamaherrera said:

I think the standard Peat recommendations for limiting damage done by PUFA released from fat tissue is Niacinamide, Aspirin, and Vitamin E. Also making sure that the fat you do eat it is pretty saturated so a little coconut oil with meals for instance. I find it's especially helpful to take niacinamide before bed. I'm not sure what the optimal dose is, but I didn't really find much of an effect until I got up to the 500mg - 1000mg range (I'm 185lb male though).

Also I probably would not use the scale weight as an indicator of how you're doing with fat loss. I would use inches (waist, hips, etc) and how your clothes fit. In low carb diets the body typically loses a lot of water weight which shows up on the scale. Increasing carbs initially can bring this up (and also increase muscle mass). I've found it very hard to gain actual body fat if I keep my total fat less than 25% of total calories (even though the scale weight may not change or go up slightly).

superhuman

cbar09: 500-1000mg niacinamide range is very very high. RP uses 70-100mg 3x a day. What did you notice/get from that high dosage?