My Experiment: High Carb, Low Fat

OP
M

mamaherrera

Thanks everyone for imput. I guess I will wait on the hormone taking, it's true, and just work on diet. But on to thyroid, can you/should you not play with that while breastfeeding as well??

And I don't know if it was pure coincidence, but I took some niacinamide before bed and it did seem to help. I had to break a 250 mg into pieces though. Does anyone know where I can get pills in a smaller dosage, like 100 mg? And which brand do you all take?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
The first place I look for supplement information is http://www.toxinless.com. I can usually find several acceptable options on that site. It's a great resource.

cbar09

superhuman said:
cbar09: 500-1000mg niacinamide range is very very high. RP uses 70-100mg 3x a day. What did you notice/get from that high dosage?

Warmer extremities (and overall temp), better vascularity, higher libido, and just general feeling of well being. I might have been quite deficient I don't know. There was a point after a few weeks supplementation when taking that much didn't seem to do a lot. But combined with a glass of oj or two, I would feel very good.

I probably average 500mg a day now. I just use the solaray 500mg capsules. I also imagine I have more stored PUFA than Ray Peat.

OP
M

mamaherrera

I ask one more time, and hope you don't mind repeating. . . .I've heard several people say they have had hair loss from taking niacinamide. Is that a common finding?? someone I think said it could be because they didn't take it with carbs, that it is very important to take it with carbs. What does niacinamide actually do in the body that is good?? does it oxidize PUFA's, what is it's mechanism, and is there a possibility that it can cause hair loss for any known reason?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
It seems normal to shed hair when breastfeeding to a certain extent simply because you will have by necessity higher prolactin. This is perfectly normal for your situation but I'm sure it can make things confusing when it comes to hair falling out. Charlie has mentioned shedding some hair when metabolism is increased. 4peatssake has a wonderful quote as her signature that goes something like "let food be thy medicine and medicine thy food". I think that in the context of breastfeeding that quote is very relevant. It's a great quote for us all but even more important when you are pregnant or nursing imo. If you are doubtful of any supplement I would just hold off, it's not really worth the additional stress which can also lead to hair loss. Shedding/hair loss or whatever you want to call it is effected by many things but for you the biggie is prolactin. It's just one of the sacrifices we make to carry, birth and nurse our children. If it were me I'd probably just eat the best I could, try not to stress over the little things and cherish this beautiful time you have with your baby. I doubt niacinamide would worsen your shedding problem but no one can guarantee that. I know it doesn't really answer your question directly but I hate to see you get overly concerned with the hair loss when it's to be expected. If 'medicine' did it's job properly then physicians would explain that to their pregnant/lactating patients. They've medicalized childbirth but dropped the ball on many issues that are concerning to women unfortunately. Midwives probably educate women more on a practical level about what is normal and to be expected. Getting good nutrition is the best thing you can do to keep yourself strong and functioning optimally so you can minimize the stressful aspects of nursing. Hang in there. I'm not suggesting that you don't use niacinamide at all but if you do and you shed some hair it will be difficult for you to pinpoint the reason simply because you are nursing. Hang in there!

4peatssake

Re: Hello Peating, goodbye autoimmune issues and belly fat

mamaherrera said:
yes because my struggle is to get enough calories in. . . . so to try and give Mr. carrot his hours on both ends, leaves me lacking calories! but I do need his cleansing effects!
I'm not sure what your diet looks like but perhaps adding additional calories to your before and after meals/snacks would help. If tolerated, adding some haagen dazs ice cream will give you extra calories and/or whole milk. Generous amounts of cream with gelatin in coffee with sugar is a great meal in itself and I find this very filling.

I also make a cold coffee drink with instant coffee, milk (I use 1 per cent but you could use full fat milk), gelatin, vanilla, sugar and crushed ice. You can also add homemade chocolate syrup if you like coffee mocha.

I sometimes make a nutrient dense egg nog that I find I digest quickly but get a lot of nutrients from the milk, egg and sugar. I usually add gelatin to this as well. It depends on whether you can tolerate raw egg, which I do fine with.

I'm sure you will find the right balance as things progress for you.

OP
M

mamaherrera

If I send you my cronometer, could you or would you mind taking a look?

4peatssake

mamaherrera said:
If I send you my cronometer, could you or would you mind taking a look?
Sure thing.

OP
M

mamaherrera

Now can you just tell me how do to make a copy, I forget how to do that??

4peatssake

mamaherrera said:
Now can you just tell me how do to make a copy, I forget how to do that??
Can you take a screen shot? That's what I normally do and then save as a jpg.
You can PM me or post it in the thread and that way others can take a look and comment as well.

If you look right below the box where you type, you will see where it says "upload attachment". Then you just search for the jpg file on your computer and attach it.

OP
M

mamaherrera

Thanks so much, I hope this gives you a good outlook of what i'm eating.

OP
M

mamaherrera

Here it is I mean!

Attachments

• cron1.jpg
    cron1.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 371
  • crono2.jpg
    crono2.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 365

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Your calcium to phosphate needs to be 1 to 1 or with calcium being higher then phosphate. Wheatgrass and celery. :? A lot of us having problems with egg whites. I think 1% is more optimal as opposed to skim milk and would also give you more calories.

cbar09

mamaherrera said:
I ask one more time, and hope you don't mind repeating. . . .I've heard several people say they have had hair loss from taking niacinamide. Is that a common finding?? someone I think said it could be because they didn't take it with carbs, that it is very important to take it with carbs. What does niacinamide actually do in the body that is good?? does it oxidize PUFA's, what is it's mechanism, and is there a possibility that it can cause hair loss for any known reason?

Peat says it better than I can:
Niacinamide is a nutrient that inhibits the release of fatty acids, and it also activates phagocytic activity and lowers phosphate. It protects against the development of scars in the spinal cord injuries, facilitates recovery from traumatic brain injury, and accelerates healing generally. While it generally supports immunity, it’s protective against autoimmunity. It can cause tumor cells to either mature or disintegrate, but it prolongs the replicate life o cultured cells, and protects against excitotoxicity.

The amounts needed seem large if niacinamide is thought of as “vitamin B3,” but it should be considered as a factor that compensates for our unphysiological exposure to inappropriate fats. Aspirin and vitamin E are other natural substances that are therapeutic in “unnaturally” large amounts because of our continual exposure to the highly unsaturated plant-derived n-3 and n-6 fats.

So it lowers FFA (free fatty acids) in the serum, which in turn promotes mitochondial "aerobic" respiration. It's important to take it with adequate sugar, because Niacinamide shifts your cells from burning fat to burning glucose - at least that's my understanding.

Here's more condensed Peat info on Niacinamide at FPS:
http://www.functionalps.com/blog/2012/0 ... acinamide/

cbar09

Also, I never experienced the hair loss with niacinamide and I got into Peat for hair loss. I would imagine that has more to do with not enough nutrients/sugar and/or dangerous excipients in the supplement.

OP
M

mamaherrera

Thanks Cbar09. How much sugar is adequate?? a glass of milk?? I use it before bed, so i dont' want to have too many calories then. and by lowering FFA's, that reduces stress hormone?

OP
M

mamaherrera

Here's a day of my diet. If anyone wants to chime in to see how I'm doing with my experiment. I got super stressed last night right before bed and even though the niacinamide helped me fall asleep fast, I kept waking up every half hour or so. . . . stress I assume.

Attachments

• cron1.jpg
    cron1.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 312
  • crono2.jpg
    crono2.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 316

cbar09

Well, if you're stressed or sick, you'll need more sugar because your body probably can't store much (in the form of glycogen). I'd add a tbsp or so of honey/maple syrup/sugar to your milk at night and have some more sugary milk ready if/when you wake up in the night. Adding a pinch of salt may also help with quieting the stress response.

I think it's more important to keep the stress hormones low than worrying about a few spoons of sugar.

cbar09

mamaherrera said:
Here's a day of my diet. If anyone wants to chime in to see how I'm doing with my experiment. I got super stressed last night right before bed and even though the niacinamide helped me fall asleep fast, I kept waking up every half hour or so. . . . stress I assume.

Is your protein really 179g? I think that's far too much. I would cut that down in favor of more carbs. I rarely get above 120g of protein in a day and I'm 26 year old 185lb athletic male. More fruit, rice, potatoes, juice, chocolate etc. can get you there. Even ice cream could help (low fat too).

Just curious where does all your protein come from in a day?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Wow I didnt even see that. yeh thats way too much protein.