Milk And OJ Question

ctee

Is there a certain time I'm supposed to drink either milk or OJ? Or is there a time when I SHOULD'T drink them? I've been looking for this info and haven't been able to find it.

I believe the only thing I found relevant was to NOT drink OJ with any muscle meat because of the increased bio-availability of iron, I may have misread that. I was thinking about having a glass of milk and OJ (separate) post-workout and another glass of each a few hours after my last my of the day (I do IF).

Thoughts?

milk_lover

Whenever you feel hungry or thirsty I suppose :)
OJ and iron food don't mix together, so yeah you didn't misread it. OJ is good when you eat eggs because eggs protein stimulate insulin release (a cup for an egg). Peat said drinking OJ as soon as you wake up reduces morning stress. Milk can be consumed with muscle meat to reduce iron (coffee is amazing at that btw). Your plan for post-workout and post-last-meal sound ok to me.

OP
C

ctee

Perfect. So I guess it makes sense to drink them together. I also read about adding salt to the OJ. Do you have to do this?

sladerunner69

Mix them together and consume approximately 1 gallon per day per 100lbs of lean bodyweight. That should result in an increase metabolism plus assimilation of many key nutrients.

OP
C

ctee

Mix them together and consume approximately 1 gallon per day per 100lbs of lean bodyweight. That should result in an increase metabolism plus assimilation of many key nutrients.

Very interesting. Have you found that this is actually palatable?

milk_lover

Perfect. So I guess it makes sense to drink them together. I also read about adding salt to the OJ. Do you have to do this?
Some people add salt or baking soda to reduce the acidity of OJ (taste or heartburn issues) or/and increase their sodium intake. So you don't have to do this.
Peat used to drink a gallon of milk and a liter of OJ daily but when he got older, he reduced the milk to two pints. Try to find what works for you.

tara

I believe the only thing I found relevant was to NOT drink OJ with any muscle meat because of the increased bio-availability of iron, I may have misread that.
Yes, unless you known to be low in iron.

Salt food to taste and cravings. I did salt my OJ for a while, but then I learned to salt my food enough and no longer need it in my drink. Some people need more than others. Low metabolism apparently makes it harder to retain some minerals.

Some people have trouble if they drink too much fluid in one go. If you are going to drink eg 2 l milk and 1-2l OJ, don't try to do it in just 2 or sittings - spread it out over the day. If you have a tendency to pee a lot/clear at a particular time of day, I wouldn't pick that time to drink a lot more fluids. Salt can sometimes help with coping with extra fluid.

So I guess it makes sense to drink them together.
Tastes good to me. But you don't have to mix them if you don't like the taste.

marteagal

@ctee, I drink OJ and milk always in tandem, using a straw. First a cup of OJ, then a cup of milk (0.7% fat), just a few seconds in between. The short delay and the use of a straw are essential to me after seriously damaging some of my teeth last year by drinking OJ without straws. Maybe you can avoid this potential risk right in the beginning. Milk is also acidic but it is said that milk's pH is not low enough to erode enamel. Sometimes I rinse with water afterwards.

The additional carbohydrates from OJ help to increase the carb : protein ratio from 1.25 : 1 found in milk to about 3.5 : 1.

However, as far as I remember, there was once a discussion about drinking OJ together with milk: One member, possibly @Mittir, had concerns about calcium from milk reacting with citric acid from OJ, reducing the bioavailability of calcium or something. Sorry, it's very long ago that I read this; I don't quite remember the details and, unfortunaley, couldn't find that thread. Hopefully someone else knows more.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals