Mechanisms For Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy?

Waynish

Peat has recommended Hyperbaric oxygen therapy. I've heard it said that it "could" increase co2 in the tissues, but how so - any sources?

slawek.b

Normally, oxygen is transported throughout the body only by red blood cells. It's displaced at rbcs by co2 before entering cells. In damaged neural tissues ( eg stroke) oxygen cannot be delivered via blood. Tissues are cut out from the blodsteam. As alternative, hyberbaric oxygen therapy enable oxygen delivery through tissue plasma, tissue fluids and the lymph. Oxygen is kind of "forced" into those tissues and carried to areas where circulation is blocked. Damaged tissues can start to regenarate in presence of oxygen and restore normal metabolic pathways; angiogenesis will follow once cells are metabolizing sufficiently and oxygen can be delivered via bloodstream once again.

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut - do you have an opinion on oxygen therapies? What about alternatives?
Oxygen therapy - Wikipedia

I think it can help in some cases but can be really dangerous in others. In cases like stroke and heart attacks it has been shown that delivering a lot of oxygen at once can actually quickly kill the person. I think the best option would be breathing a combination 95% oxygen and 5% CO2 in a tank.

cdan1

@haidut
Would you be speaking of something more like oxygen concentrator machine.
I know this is an alternative oxygen treatment for those that can't do hyperbaric

OP
W

Waynish

It could be the pressure, since hyperbaric air rivals HBOT in some studies that I've seen. I would like to see HBCOT :)

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut
Would you be speaking of something more like oxygen concentrator machine.
I know this is an alternative oxygen treatment for those that can't do hyperbaric

Yes, but it will have to have at least 5% CO2 to ensure the oxygen actually gets to the tissues. Breathing pure oxygen is not very helpful and can elevate prolactin and a number of other stress hormones.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals