Dr Sircus: Anti Inflammatory Oxygen Therapy

m_arch

Check out this video;

Dr Sircus seems to have a lot of similar ideas as Peat, namely recommending red / infrared light and the importance and benefits of CO2.

In this video he talks about oxygen therapy via breathing in, in scientific terms, a crap tone of O2 while on an exercise bike to provide the required CO2... (or shall we say... high metabolic rate), to get the O2 into the cells.

I believe he also has a book by the same name as the youtube video which I haven't read.

Heidi

The page about it on his website: Anti-Inflammatory Oxygen Therapy
From reading the reviews of his book on the amazon page Anti-Inflammatory Oxygen Therapy: Your Complete Guide to Understanding and Using Natural Oxygen Therapy: Mark Sircus: 0884621888755: Amazon.com: Books
I found out that it would cost $2295 to purchase the equipment: MedicalO2 Oxygen Systems

Ecstatichamster said here: Relearning How To Breathe And Increasing CO2 that "If you hyperventilate co2 enriched air you can actually increase your co2 levels and your body's oxygenation. I used to do it all the time putting the frolove device in a large jar and doing deep breathing exercises it with it." From what he said, it seemed to me like the ideal was high oxygen and high CO2. And the frolov device is a hell of a lot cheaper!

Also breathing a carbogen mixture of 95% oxygen and 5% carbon dioxide seems like it would be very healing. I wonder how these different methods of increasing O2 and CO2 simultaneously would compare?

OP
m_arch

m_arch

The page about it on his website: Anti-Inflammatory Oxygen Therapy
From reading the reviews of his book on the amazon page Anti-Inflammatory Oxygen Therapy: Your Complete Guide to Understanding and Using Natural Oxygen Therapy: Mark Sircus: 0884621888755: Amazon.com: Books
I found out that it would cost $2295 to purchase the equipment: MedicalO2 Oxygen Systems

Ecstatichamster said here: Relearning How To Breathe And Increasing CO2 that "If you hyperventilate co2 enriched air you can actually increase your co2 levels and your body's oxygenation. I used to do it all the time putting the frolove device in a large jar and doing deep breathing exercises it with it." From what he said, it seemed to me like the ideal was high oxygen and high CO2. And the frolov device is a hell of a lot cheaper!

Also breathing a carbogen mixture of 95% oxygen and 5% carbon dioxide seems like it would be very healing. I wonder how these different methods of increasing O2 and CO2 simultaneously would compare?
I wonder!

Its so interesting. From that thread you linked, on that page I was thinking of Wim Hof's hyperventilate / breath hold technique. However we've kind of agreed that its stressful from a peat view and there are probably better methods.

I think the stressful part is because the O2, while doing this technique, gets crazy low (mine shot down to 64% or something spooky) and theres supposed to be brain damage that can occur at those levels. Probably not if only for a few seconds, but I don't think its worth it anyway.

While amplifying breathing recovery with a hot co2 bath, I could get my O2 down to 90% and I had a bit of a stress response. I will keep experimenting and try to perfect the art of the co2 bath - I'm thinking it wont be very ideal to drop below 90% o2 - this will just be a further stress response. But its good for 15 minutes or so, as it allows the body to adapt to higher co2. I actually think the main cause of my stress response was due to the fact that I was in the hot bath for so long, running so many experiments. So I can either lower the temperature or lower the time spent in there. My gut feeling is that lowering the time is probably not as good for health, but at the same time its also more efficient if you have to get other stuff done.

The amplification of the recovery breathing in a hot co2 bath also clearly demonstrates to me the effects of each part broken down. The breath out decreases co2 (increases o2), the breath hold increases co2, and the breath in increases co2. So I agree with the theory that more O2 and more CO2 is what we want - which is also what Sircus promotes.

I don't think its worth paying that much for an O2 device personally, but it could be perfect for a sicker and richer person. If you exist, buy it and post your results on the forum! :P

Heidi

I thought of Wim Hof, too. I also thought about hyperventilating for a minute or so and then exercising with just nose breathing. I might try that in a gentle kind of way.

I like how you are combining a few things that are working for you.

I would love to just try out the O2 device and breathing 5% carbogen. Just to be able to compare things.

Heidi

So I had very good success today getting more O2 and CO2 when I exercised today. I briefly tried to hyperventilate before starting to exercise, but I don't like doing that and will skip it next time. What worked was to breathe faster than normal through my nose while I was exercising. Exercise felt completely effortless and I never got winded or gasped for breath, even when I pushed my aerobic capacity more than what I could usually sustain with just nose breathing. Since I started only nose breathing, I've only been able to exercise a short time and then it feels stressful. No stress feeling today. At the end I intentionally slowed my breathing down and I still didn't get winded. I came inside and immediately tested with the oximeter and my SpO2 was 98%. It's always been 99% after exercise. It was a very good feeling to have my breathing stay settled during vigorous exercise. (My CP isn't very high. It's hormonally the bad time of the month for breathing.) Hopefully this wasn't some fluke thing and I'll be able to repeat it.

OP
m_arch

m_arch

@Heidi what kind of exercise is it, or rather, do you think you could use your oximeter while you're doing it?

I wonder if the mechanism was that you weren't getting enough oxygen (some form of asthma or airway obstruction during nose bleeding?) - so your O2 was falling too low, causing a big stress response, so your cells dumped their co2...

Heidi

Can't use oximeter while doing it. I think that I wasn't getting enough oxygen before, because I was trying to maintain nose breathing at a higher aerobic capacity. With this new method I got more oxygen than I needed, and then could also take in more CO2 from the exercise I think. I have felt especially good and energized for the entire rest of the day. I had felt crappy earlier. But I don't want to get my hopes up yet on how great it was until I repeat it.

How is your breathing when playing tennis? Are you able to maintain nose breathing and not get winded at all?

OP
m_arch

m_arch

Can't use oximeter while doing it. I think that I wasn't getting enough oxygen before, because I was trying to maintain nose breathing at a higher aerobic capacity. With this new method I got more oxygen than I needed, and then could also take in more CO2 from the exercise I think. I have felt especially good and energized for the entire rest of the day. I had felt crappy earlier. But I don't want to get my hopes up yet on how great it was until I repeat it.

How is your breathing when playing tennis? Are you able to maintain nose breathing and not get winded at all?
Yeah its not easy but I can. I think it makes me more efficient actually, rather than stressing my body chasing every point I only do whats reasonable.

Xisca

100% is 100% and cannot go over....
So, if you have more O2 and more CO2, what gets less?

Heidi

So this practice of using oxygen while exercising was originally called Oxygen Multistep Therapy and was developed by Dr. Manfred von Ardenne of Germany in the 1960s. It is now most commonly called EWOT: Exercise With Oxygen Therapy. There is lots of information available online. It seems as though there are now many different treatment protocols for this therapy.
EWOT Therapy, Exercise With Oxygen
Dr. von Ardenne on Cancer, Inflammation and Oxygen
EWOT -Exercising With Oxygen Therapy

So my thinking is that if the combo of exercise plus increased oxygen is so beneficial, one should be able to get good results by intentionally breathing faster through the nose while exercising, and thus increasing one's O2 and CO2 levels simultaneously. I'm also now wondering if increasing O2 and CO2 together is key for the most beneficial breathing therapies.

I did a second exercise session under not so good circumstances, but still had similar results as the first time that I tried it. It seems like some kind of shift happens, where I can then slow down my breathing, exercise more vigorously, and still not get winded.

I got my friend with asthma who exercises a lot to try this technique of breathing fast through the nose while exercising, and he also had exceptionally positive first time results with it. He is now as excited as I am about doing more experimentation with it. He forgot to slow down his breathing at the end. So I don't know if he also experiences a shift when reverting back to slower breathing. Also, I think that slowing down breathing might be important for maintaining as much CO2 as possible.

I also did a little bit of walking up a short hill while nose breathing rapidly and was able to repeatedly walk up the hill without getting winded. So I'm thinking about setting up an experiment with hill walking and using the oximeter while doing it.

Also, I think that one needs to either start breathing fast before starting to exercise, or start out with gentle exercise and gradually increase exertion. One needs to breath fast enough to stay ahead of one's oxygen needs, otherwise it won't work.

I have searched online to try and find any info on anyone purposely breathing fast and intentionally hyperventilating while exercising. So far I have found nothing.

OP
m_arch

m_arch

@Heidi I don't quite understand. When I exercise my breathing automatically increases in depth and speed. Are you theorising that yours doesn't due to asthma, but you can force it and you feel better?

Does your friend have asthma too?

Heidi

I don't have asthma, just my friend. It's been hard to explain this in writing, and I've been really surprised by the positive results. When I intentionally increase my nose breathing speed and stay ahead of my body's oxygen needs, exercise becomes effortless, I can do way more than usual, I don't get winded like I usually would, I feel exceptionally good for a long while afterwards. Plus the effect sustains for a good while after I slow my breathing back down.

My friend goes to a gym and does very traditional exercise. He exercises a lot more than I do and is in much better shape than I am. I had asked him if he would test out the rapid nose breathing, as I was wondering if someone else would experience similar results. He was really surprised by how easy it made his exercise and how much more he could do. I'll ask him for more specifics. He's going to keep experimenting with this.

I hoop dance for exercise. It's fun, creative, flowing. Having the breathing and movement be so effortless, and no longer getting winded when nose breathing is an amazing shift. Plus I feel remarkably better afterwards. I've been holding back from expounding from how great it's been, because it's so new and I'm just trying to figure out what is going on. Even though I'm intentionally breathing faster through my nose, I stay very relaxed and it doesn't feel stressful. Exercising has been a joyful and invigorating release for me. But this has taken it to a whole other level.

OP
m_arch

m_arch

@Heidi awesome news!

There's an exercise called the beep test which is used to measure vo2 max in Australia we do it in gym class. In highschool. Do you or your friend know of it?

That would be a wicked test to run. Your max score is supposed to be when you're around 18 years olD. I used to get around level 10 without training then. Maybe 8 months ago I heard about buteyko and ran the beep test entirely nose breathing, where I scored 11.7 with out training and was less breathless afterwards.

I wonder what I'd get from nose hyperventilating during it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals