Trying To Understand Peat's Views On Altitude And Metabolism

TheDrumGuy

Peat argues that by the Bohr-Haldane effect, the lower oxygen partial pressure at high altitude results in less CO2 unloading of hemoglobin as blood passes through the lungs. The result is that the body retains CO2. The elevated CO2 in the tissues results in more oxygen unloading from hemoglobin as it passes through the tissues.

So if Peat is right, we should expect that blood CO2 is higher at high altitude, right? Well this study showed lower blood CO2 when participants went up to a high altitude location.

Hypobaric hypoxia causes body weight reduction in obese subjects. - PubMed - NCBI

Link to full study: Library Genesis: Scientfic Articles

I think he usually talks about after acclimatization. Is 1 week enough?

DK580

Peat argues that by the Bohr-Haldane effect, the lower oxygen partial pressure at high altitude results in less CO2 unloading of hemoglobin as blood passes through the lungs. The result is that the body retains CO2. The elevated CO2 in the tissues results in more oxygen unloading from hemoglobin as it passes through the tissues.

So if Peat is right, we should expect that blood CO2 is higher at high altitude, right? Well this study showed lower blood CO2 when participants went up to a high altitude location.

Hypobaric hypoxia causes body weight reduction in obese subjects. - PubMed - NCBI

I looked at the "full study" and in Table 1 it shows that the drop in "oxygen dioxide partial pressure" at altitude (about 1/3) is higher than the drop in "carbon dioxide partial pressure" at altitude (about 1/8).

So that seems to back up what Peat said.

It sounds very beneficial. There must be a reason professional athletes train in high altitude. I would love to do a full hormonal panel before, during and after to see if anything changes. Of course keeping everything else the same for accurate results. I’m going to Colorado for 6 days at the end of the month so I might do the first trial very soon!