The Bulletproof Coffee Founder Has Spent $1 Million In His Quest To Live To 180

Tarmander

The most impressive thing about this is that he looks the way he does after spending a massive amount of time staring at a computer screen. If he lives into his 60s, par for the course, 70s, that is pretty nice....80s? Well that is pretty damn impressive and he is worth listening to in some respect.

Gotta think of these things in context. How many long term computer programmers, software engineers, stock traders, etc, do you see looking like this?

yerrag

The most impressive thing about this is that he looks the way he does after spending a massive amount of time staring at a computer screen. If he lives into his 60s, par for the course, 70s, that is pretty nice....80s? Well that is pretty damn impressive and he is worth listening to in some respect.

Gotta think of these things in context. How many long term computer programmers, software engineers, stock traders, etc, do you see looking like this?
That's a good assumption but how do you know he's moved on from the stare at screen life? And if he does stare at the screen, maybe he's bathing in fresh air and sun at the same time while spinning lol?

Tarmander

That's a good assumption but how do you know he's moved on from the stare at screen life? And if he does stare at the screen, maybe he's bathing in fresh air and sun at the same time while spinning lol?
If he still stares at a screen, isn't that even more impressive?

yerrag

If he still stares at a screen, isn't that even more impressive?
He's only 45. Many look and feel just as good even on cocktails of prescription drugs.

I have to admit that I quite like his podcasts. He has some interesting topics and guests from time to time. Also I have to give him credit to point my attention to Danny Roddy (he mentioned his name in one of his Q&A podcasts). And through Danny's book I found Ray Peat...:sunglasses:.
So although he clearly is a sugar alarmist he pointed me in the right direction in the end :thumbup:.

My story is similar.

Bulletproof was my gateway drug. Dave did an interview on an economics podcast I listened to, so I checked out his podcast. My interest was peaked by his claims about increasing IQ. This was in 2012, you probably can't find any of the original first 100 episodes because people like to purge. I have a coffee mug and shirt with the original BP logo. I went to the Bulletproof Conference in 2015, which I would consider the inflection point. That's when they changed the logo, he released The Bulletproof Diet Book, they opened up the Bulletproof Cafe, and mentions of Bulletproof Coffee were hitting the mainstream. He also opened up the first class of Bulletproof Coaches, and I was in that class.

I dropped out of the course because I couldn't find any test clients, and I was losing motivation for the course. I can't explain why, but I started stepping back from Bulletproof. I stopped ordering supplements and coffee beans. I stopped discussing Bulletproof stuff with my friends and family, even when they initiated the discussion with interest.

In 2016, I had already read lot of Jack Kruse, and he was my guru. However, I had already read some articles by Ray Peat, and you can see some cracks surfacing in my paleo ideology: Ray Peat, PUFAs, sugar I was introduced to Ray Peat by a dude with the handle BigPapaChakra on the Bulletproof Forum (also on RPF) when he wrote the Battle of the Dietary Gurus.

In particular there was a quote he left that has always stuck with me:
"Colin Wilson, in about 100 books written over the last 50 years, has explored these different states of consciousness, and has argued that the excitedly expectant state of consciousness of a child on Christmas morning is a model of the way the mind should function throughout life. He believes that true perception sees a world full of potential and beauty, and that it is the "practical" everyday consciousness which is deluded."

-Ray Peat, PhD

The above seems like an ideal state to pursue.

Last edited:
I think he took the idea from Tibetans. I suppose he uses coffee instead of tea. When someone interviewing Ray asked him about it he seemed so perplexed "Uhh, I like cream in my coffee. It mixes better..." (paraphrased) lol. It's also almost the same thing so it's weird that people don't just use cream. What's the concern, trace amounts of proteins?

Butter tea - Wikipedia

Edit: What's hilarious is that this person has convinced a large amount of people to do this, instead of using cream. The butter doesn't mix well, doesn't taste as good, is less convenient and yet is made from cream and is almost the same thing, so why not just use cream? It's like some weird social experiment to see if people can be convinced to do something nonsensical. Apparently they can be...

Yeah, he did get it from Tibetans. He was in Tibet and saw them put yak butter in tea.

schultz

Stephen Guyenet is on it! "Invincible Coffee" is absolutely a step up from Bulletproof!

Whole Health Source: Invincible Coffee: The Next Evolution of Joe

Lol, thanks for that

In 2016, I had already read lot of Jack Kruse, and he was my guru. However, I had already read some articles by Ray Peat, and you can see some cracks surfacing in my paleo ideology: Ray Peat, PUFAs, sugar I was introduced to Ray Peat by a dude with the handle BigPapaChakra on the Bulletproof Forum (also on RPF) when he wrote the Battle of the Dietary Gurus.

In particular there was a quote he left that has always stuck with me:

That is a great quote, I've never seen that one before.

I read your old blog post. There is one part, and I have heard other people say it before, where you mention that sugar sources are naturally only available in the summer. This would depend how far from the equator you are. Some areas of the world have year round fruit. Also, I imagine some groups were nomadic, which would make seasonal availability less of an issue.

Yeah, he did get it from Tibetans. He was in Tibet and saw them put yak butter in tea.

Oh okay. I didn't know if that was true.

Last edited:

Cirion

He should spend $30 on Ray's newsletter...

With that kind of money you could set up a nicely tuned system to keep your house at optimal CO2 levels, with safety features installed (so you don't kill yourself). I'd also put a bunch of 1500w incandescent light bulbs in my house (I use 500w in my house, but I am no millionaire lol).

Edit: I've decided to buy a 1500w bulb for fun.

Edit2: Aww man, 1000bulbs doesn't sell it anymore!

Edit3: Guess I'll just get the stupid 1000w bulb... :(

@schultz

where the heck do you get lamps that can hold 1000W bulbs lol

also how does one ship bulbs from online without them breaking? I would think bulbs are kinda fragile to be shipping online

schultz

@schultz

where the heck do you get lamps that can hold 1000W bulbs lol

also how does one ship bulbs from online without them breaking? I would think bulbs are kinda fragile to be shipping online

Oh I never thought of them breaking but they never have so I guess it works lol.

A porcelain mogul lamp holder is rated to 1500w I think.

https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-8678-Incandescent-Lampholder-1500W-600V/dp/B003ATY10S

I realized that the R7 halogens might be a good option, but it's hard to find the bigger fixtures for them. The 500w flood fixtures are easy enough to find and are a very good price, though I wanted to try a 1500w halogen bulb rated for 33,000 lumens! ( EiKO 49570 | Clear 1500w Double Ended Halogen Bulbs )

OP
Mito

Mito

7141198F-E915-4E6E-A865-84054B59EE77.jpeg

I always respect and give credit to people who seriously want to pursue anti-aging or negligible-senescence and etc.

The interesting thing is that there are always new ways and countless theories as to how one could approach the anti-aging or life extension discussions and practices. Peat is a smart guy, but he -- like anyone -- doesn't have all of the answers or even all of the questions.

It is good to always keep an open mind and realize that Ray Peat is only one piece of this type of puzzle -- and that isn't discrediting him at all.

But yeah, his ideas on bioenergetics and such are likely pretty promising at getting one step closer to making humans achieve boundless negligible and/or reverse senescence.

burtlancast

The only reputable, verifiable way of increasing lifespan i know of is Norman Walker's juicing method: the man lived to 99.

I'm sure there would be additional supplements to increase that number, like magnesium, vit D, iodine, zinc, Vit B 17, Vit C, etc...and avoidance of some substances like PUFAS, heavy metals, radiation, etc

The only reputable, verifiable way of increasing lifespan i know of is Norman Walker's juicing method: the man lived to 99.

I'm sure there would be additional supplements to increase that number, like magnesium, vit D, iodine, zinc, Vit B 17, Vit C, etc...and avoidance of some substances like PUFAS, heavy metals, radiation, etc

Yeah but someone living long isn't any evidence of a "life extension plan" specifically proven to work I don't think.

We all have probably heard of someone living to 90s or even 100s+ who didn't necessarily have any "regimen" or stuff like that. Not saying they were not healthy but they were not usually pursuing health for sure always.

I am skeptical of any particular/specific way one could advertise or speak for life extension since it is such a complex process that one way or "plan" may not be enough in every case to make a difference.

I know "Peating" definitely makes a difference though with aging factors and quality of life. But aging is highly complex insofar as we can't exactly pinpoint any singular or even multitude of processes to indefinitely restore youth/vitality in everyone who has aged/is aging -- basically more "erasing" aging as opposed to just wanting to live longer feeling worn/being elderly/knowing you're "getting old" and etc.

InChristAlone

One of the greatest predictors of lifespan is having social support.

jaminhealth

I enjoy my morning organic coffee with some stevia, almond/coconut creamer and 1/2t of Coconut oil. Been doing this for a few yrs now. Also moved to Coconut Oil toothpaste, love it. And so do my teeth.

On age goals, I'll take what I get as long as I can take care of myself, if I can't then I'd love to have that "pill" handy. My folks lived into 90's so......

One of the greatest predictors of lifespan is having social support.

I think this has truth to it in a fundamentally physiological, epigenetic sense. No, I don't know all of the details much, but I get the hunch that continuous loneliness brings about (or is more likely to bring about) physiological changes in an organism that make it more self-defeating in a sense/less optimal in "functioning modes." I look to the true "hermits" and see that they have possibly poor metabolisms -- this could be because of some downregulation which affects social ability, goal orientation, etc. The very "serotonin-driven" ideal seems closely mirrored in, say, those with poorer social lives and more of a recluse-type living style. I think of it (the human overall) like something that needs to be regularly "stimulated" or maintained/upkept by "proper" external factors, although to what degree this is necessary and how/why is possibly not fully known. But I think being lonely skips this "step" and allows the higher likelihood of unfolding suboptimal epigenetic changes unbeknownst to the organism itself possibly. There also comes with it the ideal that many see human lifespan or living time as a machine-driven function or predestined thing -- but the body is known to adapt and suit itself to whatever conditions it's in, good or bad, in a more spontaneous sort of way that's very different from a mechanistic outlook. A lonely person will "adapt" to loneliness possibly (slower metabolism; less energy needs; less hunger or possibly more; obesity/disease; etc.), but this is probably not a good thing -- and a social person will adapt to social routines too, which might be a better positive feedback.

From reading of Ray the idea is learned quickly that we aren't fixed machines that follow algorithmic "decay processes" regardless of choices or situations -- we very much live, adapt, and change in to whatever situations we let ourselves be part of/end up a part of, whether we even have the faintest idea of the full scope/range of how this adaptation works. It's very much of interest to keep learning (for me at least) about adaptation, stress, environment, and degenerative/regenerative processes because then we can have more power over our own health, well-being and destiny -- not just go see a doctor and be told what your options are under their limited presumptions or knowledge on health and the human physiology/etc. I put much more faith you could say in research scientists (especially if more "indie") rather than in those who lock themselves on certain rigid understandings of the human physiology and health outcomes/treatments/etc.

I guess one thing for true loners/hermits is that they can capitalize on the subpar situation of their living conditions and try to alter their path physiologically with maybe things like pregnenolone, thyroid, and more optimal metabolic function/diet despite having no social interaction which can then give them an equivalent life at least like those who do have the "luxury" of social support or such arrangements. My guess is that -- if this isn't entirely possible yet -- it will be soon, i.e. mimicking a certain physiological/epigenetic change by way of understanding a more proper approach to certain environmental impacts/outcomes for organisms broadly. The "goal" is probably for everyone -- regardless of situation -- to be able to live at their "best" or at least make headway getting there.

I use the ideal of the "sum life prediction problem" -- a way of looking at life as not a predestined or limited timespan but a system by which you must account for all possible outcomes from external and internal feedbacks endlessly. If you cannot know every thing which can and will go wrong or right or anything in-between -- or can't even make a good prediction on it -- then you simply can't know what the process and depth of life is, will be or should be. When some look at life like a limited time system it might be largely ignoring the very actual "system" they're in and what should or could be done about it in a more idealistic way of humankind/humanity.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom