Scientists REVERSE Brain Damage In Girl, 2, Who Almost Drowned In A Pool Using Oxygen Therapy

Soren

Forum Supporter
Scientists REVERSE brain damage in girl, 2, who almost drowned in a pool using oxygen therapy.

Read more: Scientists reverse brain damage in girl who almost drowned | Daily Mail Online

• Eden Carlson was two years old when she jumped in the family pool in 2016
  • Her mom found her in the water, paramedics revived her after almost 2 hours
  • Doctors in Arkansas said she would be severely brain-damaged for life
  • The family traveled to New Orleans for 40 sessions of oxygen therapy
  • Now, MRI scans show the damaged brain tissue is now fully-functioning

Thought this was interesting. This is something that I do not know much about but would it be logical to assume that the same treatment might have benefit for those suffering from chronological degenerative brain diseases such as dementia or Parkinson's. The article does not go into too much detail about the physiological process that might have led to the brain tissue damage reversing. Does anyone have any idea on what that might be, could it be CO2 related?

T

tca300

How do we know she wouldn't have recovered without oxygen therapy? She might have recovered in spite of it. Also someone so young is likely to have a higher level of regenerative functioning than that of a someone fully mature.

Herbie

CPR was performed for two hours and note that CPR is performed by giving the patient two large mouth breaths after 30 chest compressions so she would have got some CO2 in her tissues after two hours. Could have also played a role in her recovery.

OP
Soren

Soren

Forum Supporter
How do we know she wouldn't have recovered without oxygen therapy? She might have recovered in spite of it. Also someone so young is likely to have a higher level of regenerative functioning than that of a someone fully mature.

Did some more research and the doctor who gave her the oxygen therapy said that her youth was probably a big factor in the healing. However, given the fact that at the start of every oxygen session it was immediately apparent the improvement in her neurological condition, I think it was unlikely that she would have recovered without the treatment.

CPR was performed for two hours and note that CPR is performed by giving the patient two large mouth breaths after 30 chest compressions so she would have got some CO2 in her tissues after two hours. Could have also played a role in her recovery.

This is possible but given the account that is given it seems highly unlikely to me. 55 days post drowning she still had severe brain damage, if there were to be any benefit from the mouth breaths I think it would have manifested it self well before 55 days had passed. My thought is that there might be someway that this oxygen treatment actually indirectly increases CO2 although I do not have enough knowledge of the bio-mechanical processes of oxygen therapy so I'm purely speculating.

Here is another article on the story from futurism.com that goes into slightly more detail than the original one I posted,
Medical Researchers Reverse Brain Damage in Drowning Victim

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals