Matt Stone On Peat

chris

gretchen said:
kettlebell said:
I have read his book.

Meh...

I purchased it because it was on offer at £0.77

Was it any good?

I didn't think it was anything incredible, the main point I took from it was to try increase solid foods/decrease fluids.

kettlebell

chris said:
gretchen said:
kettlebell said:
I have read his book.

Meh...

Was it any good?

I didn't think it was anything incredible, the main point I took from it was to try increase solid foods/decrease fluids.

Hi Gretchen,

The above is all I took away from it really and I do that already really (Eat plenty of solid food).

Not the best book I have read. I am not fond of his writing style.

jyb

chris said:
gretchen said:
kettlebell said:
I have read his book.

Meh...

Was it any good?

I haven't read the book, but I've seen this idea of increasing solid foods by a few peatarians. When hypothyroid, is it recommended to increase solid foods (compared to the Peat's diet of mostly OJ, milk, cheese and occasional meat...) even when salt consumption is high? I thought the issue with liquid is increased sodium requirements, but seems like there is more. I suppose cheese doesn't count as solid?

kettlebell

I would definitely count cheese as solid food.

I think that's the thing - If your salt intake is good I don't think its a problem at all regarding what Matt says about solid vs liquid food. The more fluid you drink the higher your sodium requirements especially when OJ is a big player as the Potassium and sodium need to be balanced somewhat for correct kidney function.

The issue is people not actually realising how much salt they need and I believe the answer generally is "More than you currently use".

It takes a long time to get over the anti salt stance in western society which must be a big influence when people here are starting on this road.

When I first started I would have a "Pinch" each day and worry about using more. Now I use it as required which is a lot more than a pinch.

If I have a large dose of salt within minutes I feel more relaxed, warmer, higher pulse etc. It has a dramatic effect for me but I still believe I am dealing with adrenal issues.

gretchen

chris said:
gretchen said:
kettlebell said:
I have read his book.

Meh...

Was it any good?

Actually, this seems true to me. I drink liquids all day long and struggle to get my temps up over 97.5. I eat tons of salt also...

Asimov

gretchen said:
Actually, this seems true to me. I drink liquids all day long and struggle to get my temps up over 97.5. I eat tons of salt also...
This is likely just heat sink. When you drink cold fluid, the heat in your mouth will leave and enter the cold liquid.

Getting a 97.5 temp after drinking OJ is no more accurate than getting a 100.2 temp reading after drinking hot coffee. No one drinks a piping hot cup of coffee, measures their oral temp 2 minute later, and then proclaims "WOO HOO! My Thyroid is finally working again!!!"

So I'm surprised that the inverse Matt Stone bro-science of getting low temps after drinking cold liquids would be widely regarded as truth.

As long as your salt intake is adequate, you have nothing to worry about drinking liquids. If you're really suspicious of my reasoning, take your anal or axillary temp before and after drinking a glass of cold OJ. I absolutely guarantee you it won't budge.

The fact that "don't drink liquid because it'll make your oral temps drop, and that's an indication of hypothyroidism" is the best that Matt Stone has brought to the health and fitness community speaks for it's self.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Asimov said:
The fact that "don't drink liquid because it'll make your oral temps drop, and that's an indication of hypothyroidism" is the best that Matt Stone has brought to the health and fitness community speaks for it's self.

:rolling

Asimov, welcome to the forum! :welcome

asajulian

frustrated said:
He doesn't understand Peats work or physiology, and his dismisal of sugar's superiority to starch is pretty funny. He has a following because he markets himself correctly and writes well.

From what I have been reading from him lately, he has switched his position on starch and sugar. He prefers fruit and fruit juice over other forms of carbohydrate. I don't think he has updated his Diet Recovery eBook though, which definitely holds his old positions.

Personally, I like Matt, he's like a Danny Roddy. He has had health issues in his past and he is honestly wanting to find the truth about them. All of us are learning, no matter who we are.

asajulian said:
Personally, I like Matt, he's like a Danny Roddy. He has had health issues in his past and he is honestly wanting to find the truth about them. All of us are learning, no matter who we are.
Except Roddy brings more to the table than obfuscation.

His comments section is also readable.

Asimov said:
2urp4qe.gif

frustrated

asajulian said:
frustrated said:
He doesn't understand Peats work or physiology, and his dismisal of sugar's superiority to starch is pretty funny. He has a following because he markets himself correctly and writes well.

From what I have been reading from him lately, he has switched his position on starch and sugar. He prefers fruit and fruit juice over other forms of carbohydrate. I don't think he has updated his Diet Recovery eBook though, which definitely holds his old positions.

Why has he been fat for 5+ years despite claiming to have a raging metabolism? He literally just pulls shite out of his arse to sell his books.

Asimov

Not only is Matt fat, he's literally getting fatter every time I see a photo or video of him. At this point, the fact that anyone treats him as a credible dietary expert is hilarious to me.

The guy literally started as the 'eat everything all the time' guy, moved to the 'don't drink liquids' guy, and finally has morphed into the 'ray peatism + starch' guy....while gaining about 15 pounds a year in the process.

Mittir

Ray-Z said:
jus d'orange said:
fwiw, I just bought and read eat for heat and his metabolism ebooks. The former has actually helped me stay warm these last few days by avoiding liquids and keeping salt up. I think he's on to something there as I've seen a lot of other folks with liquid issues on Danny's site and peatarian.com.

I have my beefs with Matt Stone. I agree with jus d'orange, however, that for hypothyroid people, Matt's advice to go easy on liquids and get more sodium can be extremely helpful.

Matt stone did not figure it out himself. He is simply restating Peat's recommendation.
" When people force themselves to drink a certain amount of water every day, even when they don't feel thirsty, they are activating complex adaptive processes unnecessarily. Thirst is the best guide to the amount of fluid needed.

When extra water consumption is combined with a low salt diet--as physicians have so often recommended--a healthy person can adapt easily, but for a hypothyroid person it can have disastrous effects. "-- Ray Peat (Water: swelling, tension, pain, fatigue, aging)

Attachments

• Jennifer_Worsley_RR138861705TH.jpg
    Jennifer_Worsley_RR138861705TH.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 56

key

Mittir said:
Matt stone did not figure it out himself. He is simply restating Peat's recommendation.
" When people force themselves to drink a certain amount of water every day, even when they don't feel thirsty, they are activating complex adaptive processes unnecessarily. Thirst is the best guide to the amount of fluid needed.

When extra water consumption is combined with a low salt diet--as physicians have so often recommended--a healthy person can adapt easily, but for a hypothyroid person it can have disastrous effects. "-- Ray Peat (Water: swelling, tension, pain, fatigue, aging)

milk & oj don't = water

key

anyone hear what ray said in recent 2hr interview about pancakes vs oj?(Ray basically said cortisol can make you really warm but isn't healthy regarding starches being able to raise temps in some individuals but Oj makes them cold)

I personally have no problem with temps while drinking as much milk/oj as I can.

J

j.

key said:
imo Rays quote was in the context of water

Since he says fluid specifically, I think he started talking about water, but then gave more general advice that applied not only to water.

Mittir

j. said:
key said:
imo Rays quote was in the context of water

Since he says fluid specifically, I think he started talking about water, but then gave more general advice that applied not only to water.

I agree with j. I am adding another quote from that same article to clarify that by
"water" RP means water in foods too, not just pure water.

"Most foods contain a considerable amount of water, usually more than 70% of their weight,"
--A R T I C L E
Water: swelling, tension, pain, fatigue, aging
-

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals