Matt Stone On Peat

Birdie

narouz said:
I checked out Stone's website a few years ago
and while I was intriqued
overall I felt he was a bit of a blowhard.
I'm talking mostly about style or tone:
he seemed a strong self-promoter
and someone who took greater interest
in making startling, iconoclastic, and entertaining claims
and calling a lot of things stupid,
than in calmly and reasonably advancing an argument.
This approach that you describe has a wide appeal.
Oh, funny that I thought this was more by
nwo, and it's narouz!

narouz

Birdie said:
narouz said:
nwo, and it's narouz!

I'm everywhere, Birdie.
There is no escape. :D

Birdie

narouz said:
Birdie said:
narouz said:
nwo, and it's narouz!

I'm everywhere, Birdie.
There is no escape. :D
I don't think of him as someone in the same category as Ray. I can see comparing someone like Jaminet's thoughts with Peat's. .....

Narouz, I just thought nwo was coming out with a stronger statement.
But, you are everywhere! :)

Birdie

Sorry, I don't see the edit button but Spellck changed nwo to NOW above.

jus d'orange

can we get him to do an AMA on this forum? Grill him a little bit, see what comes out? :)

fwiw, I just bought and read eat for heat and his metabolism ebooks. The former has actually helped me stay warm these last few days by avoiding liquids and keeping salt up. I think he's on to something there as I've seen a lot of other folks with liquid issues on Danny's site and peatarian.com.

The whole intracellular/extracellular fluid/sodium content as it relates to minerals, PTH, blood volume, & aldosterone is something I'm very intrigued with and I think Matt is starting to hit on something with this latest book. Has anyone else read it? It was $.99 on amazon last I checked and took me a few hours to read.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
jus d'orange said:
can we get him to do an AMA on this forum? Grill him a little bit, see what comes out? :)

That would be cool.

At first glance, it seems to me that this Eat for Heat strategy seems rather wreck less. But honestly, I do not know anything about it. He says eat cake and be hot. Well, isn't that what most of America is doing right now? It's like he did a complete circle and came back to the standard American diet. However, like I said, I don't know the ins and outs of it so truly I cannot have a complete and final opinion on it at this time.

Ray-Z

jus d'orange said:
fwiw, I just bought and read eat for heat and his metabolism ebooks. The former has actually helped me stay warm these last few days by avoiding liquids and keeping salt up. I think he's on to something there as I've seen a lot of other folks with liquid issues on Danny's site and peatarian.com.

I have my beefs with Matt Stone. I agree with jus d'orange, however, that for hypothyroid people, Matt's advice to go easy on liquids and get more sodium can be extremely helpful.

Birdie

Charlie said:
jus d'orange said:

That would be cool.

At first glance, it seems to me that this Eat for Heat strategy seems rather wreck less. But honestly, I do not know anything about it. He says eat cake and be hot. Well, isn't that what most of America is doing right now? It's like he did a complete circle and came back to the standard American diet. However, like I said, I don't know the ins and outs of it so truly I cannot have a complete and final opinion on it at this time.
Sometimes I think this comes from Ray's saying to put things in context. It can get miss read to say that we should eat whatever makes us hot. Then it's easy to get confused into just eating junk. It's not a step ahead. Seems more like Oprah type hype.

Okay, enough of this subject for me. :)

juanitacarlos

Ray-Z said:
jus d'orange said:

I have my beefs with Matt Stone. I agree with jus d'orange, however, that for hypothyroid people, Matt's advice to go easy on liquids and get more sodium can be extremely helpful.

Hi all. Matt Stone led me to Peat. Although he sometimes mocks Ray, I find that he has mostly positive things to say about his work, and he does. Well that's how I read it. I think he is actually very influenced by Peat. In terms of Eat for Heat, which I've read, I think it could be useful for some people. Being a newbie to Mr Peat's work, I'm just trying to put it all together nutrionally and some of the principles in EFH will help with that. I have a tendency to crash in the morning at this stage, so drinking lots of fluid just does not work for me - I've tried. So I'm better of eating more solids in the morning and I seem to be able to drink to gleeful abandon in the afternoon and early evening. That may change as I progress.

I just wanted to say to that over the past few days I've been reading old posts and have been thoroughly impressed with the level of respect show between people. thoughtful debates without posturing and just so much useful information. Thanks for making it available. Happy new year everyone!

Ray-Z

ttramone said:
Hi all. Matt Stone led me to Peat. Although he sometimes mocks Ray, I find that he has mostly positive things to say about his work, and he does. Well that's how I read it. I think he is actually very influenced by Peat. In terms of Eat for Heat, which I've read, I think it could be useful for some people. Being a newbie to Mr Peat's work, I'm just trying to put it all together nutrionally and some of the principles in EFH will help with that. I have a tendency to crash in the morning at this stage, so drinking lots of fluid just does not work for me - I've tried. So I'm better of eating more solids in the morning and I seem to be able to drink to gleeful abandon in the afternoon and early evening. That may change as I progress.

I just wanted to say to that over the past few days I've been reading old posts and have been thoroughly impressed with the level of respect show between people. thoughtful debates without posturing and just so much useful information. Thanks for making it available. Happy new year everyone!

Welcome to the forum, ttramone. :welcome

Glad you are finding the information useful. There are definitely some great people around here...

kiran

ttramone said:
Hi all. Matt Stone led me to Peat. Although he sometimes mocks Ray, I find that he has mostly positive things to say about his work, and he does.

I think Matt is afflicted by a need to distinguish himself from Ray, since a lot of his stuff is based on Ray's work. Although I can't really blame him, he's gotta make his own name and a buck or two.

juanitacarlos

Ray-Z said:
Welcome to the forum, ttramone. :welcome

Glad you are finding the information useful. There are definitely some great people around here...

Thanks Ray-Z - appreciate that!

juanitacarlos

kiran said:
ttramone said:
Hi all. Matt Stone led me to Peat. Although he sometimes mocks Ray, I find that he has mostly positive things to say about his work, and he does.

I think Matt is afflicted by a need to distinguish himself from Ray, since a lot of his stuff is based on Ray's work. Although I can't really blame him, he's gotta make his own name and a buck or two.

That's probably a fair call kiran - Matt talks about Ray dozens of times, so there is no way he's not greatly influenced or challenged by him. I like Matt's work - I find even when I disagree with him, I get a lot out of it. When I first read his work, I was pissed off that he kept changing his mind. Yet, that is exactly what I have done over the years. It's made me actually think for myself, rather than expecting one of the 'guru's' to tell me exactly what I need to do, blindly following whilst ignoring my own biofeedback. That's worth a lot.

But anyhoo, I'm here to fall down the ray-peat hole into Wonderland... :D

narouz

ttramone said:
Ray-Z said:
jus d'orange said:

ttramone-
I got onto Peat partly through Stone, too.
So for that...hat tip.
And he does seem heavily Peat influenced.
But he likes to deny that in a way.
It is a tactic he uses, I think.
He doesn't want anybody thinking anybody could know more than him,
so he picks some specific fight--
with Peat I think it was about starch--
does a very unpersuasive job of debunking
so that Stone comes off, in his mind, as The Master.

As way that he can have his cake and eat it too:
claim interesting and outre' influences,
but at the same time make it clear the He Rules Over All. :lol:

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
ttramone said:

ttramone, welcome to the forum! :welcome

That is a really great compliment you have given to the community. :rockout

See you around!

Attachments

• Charlie_Mathers_packing.jpg
    Charlie_Mathers_packing.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 52
  • Charlie_Mathers_RR091748515TH.jpg
    Charlie_Mathers_RR091748515TH.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 49

frustrated

Kris said:
I read some interesting articles of Matt Stone on Peat from 2011. While they are generally very positive, I found also many dismissing kind of remarks, like that what Peat writes is 'silly'. In particular Matt is very dismissive about the idea that starch is more fattening or less healthy. I wonder if some of you have any response to this.

http://180degreehealth.com/2011/05/ray- ... nd-obesity
http://180degreehealth.com/2011/05/ray- ... -vs-starch

Matt is a good guy, but I am going to rag on him (if you're selling books you're open to criticism imo).

He doesn't understand Peats work or physiology, and his dismisal of sugar's superiority to starch is pretty funny. He has a following because he markets himself correctly and writes well.

He also claims to have a crazy fast metabolism -- why has he sat at 17-20% bodyfat for years then? Oh that's right, because he is on perma bulk apparently..........

chris

I think Matt looks more unhealthy than when he started the whole health gig.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals