Matt Stone On Peat

key

I can see how lots of oj on a low salt diet qualifies as too much fluid. But I don't think milk(which has decent sodium) does. Ray recommends lots of sodium which is probably why Ray has made no mention of excluding food liquids from diet for hypothyroid people and one his only specific recommendation for diet plan is 2 quarts milk & 1 quart OJ.

"Most foods contain a considerable amount of water, usually more than 70% of their weight,"
This quote is stating oj,milk,etc have water so you don't necessarily need plain water.

gretchen

Matt's crowd tolerates whatever whim he gets on. For a year or so it was something about RBTI, the study of one's pee. Now it's starches to warm you up and the end of dieting... Matt does do a lot of research, I will grant him that, and is an expert. His work now seems more about finding a way for people to add everything back in whatever amounts they want except PUFAs, which might be a step in the right direction for some. Personally, I wonder about his serotonin situation. He and some of his community seem angry and obsessive, while claiming to be chill.

J

j.

gretchen said:
His work now seems more about finding a way for people to add everything back in whatever amounts they want except PUFAs, which might be a step in the right direction for some. Personally, I wonder about his serotonin situation. He and some of his community seem angry and obsessive, while claiming to be chill.

Charlie, I think we have a new quote for the front page.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
:rolling

I s**t you not! I was thinking the same exact thing when I read it but I was like well, let's not start any trouble. hehe

Asimov

Matt is an expert only at rationalizing his own expertise, and convincing gullible internet suckers that being 50ish pounds overweight is a perfectly healthy, natural state of existence. As I said earlier, the guy is gaining 20 pounds of fat per year on his "diet" and people eat it up like fools. He's not even trying to hide it....here's Youtube screen caps...

mqdefault.jpg

7 months ago
mqdefault.jpg

10 months ago
mqdefault.jpg

1 year ago
mqdefault.jpg

mqdefault.jpg

2 years ago
mqdefault.jpg

3 years ago

juanitacarlos

Asimov said:
As I said earlier, the guy is gaining 20 pounds of fat per year on his "diet"

Hi Asimov

Yeah Matt has totally put on the pounds over the past couple of years, but hasn't that happened with a lot of people who start eating "Peatish" also?

Asimov

Yes, which also should make you question the "peat" diet. Any diet that makes a normal weight person fat is the wrong diet for that person.

Disclaimer: I don't "eat peat" and I think lots of the diet recommendations by the community are woefully misguided and lacking a fundamental understanding of biology.

J

j.

Asimov said:
Disclaimer: I don't "eat peat" and I think lots of the diet recommendations by the community are woefully misguided and lacking a fundamental understanding of biology.

e.g. (those shared by Peat)?

Also, I think you mentioned all the long term studies on PUFA show damage, do you have any links? That's very interesting information.

Asimov

j. said:
Asimov said:

e.g. (those shared by Peat)?

Also, I think you mentioned all the long term studies on PUFA show damage, do you have any links? That's very interesting information.
The "peat diet" is nothing than a partial compilation of some of his dietary views. He obviously shares views (because...they're his ideas) but they are in no way a complete meal plan or method of dieting. This is why, despite numerous requests, he refuses to lay down an overall specific diet plan or write a book on the subject. I think he realizes, when many of his disciples don't, is that generalized diets rarely work in specific circumstances.

And I don't know what you're asking me about PUFA studies.

juanitacarlos

Asimov said:

Can you please elaborate on what you consider the more common misnomers? Thanks.

Asimov

ttramone said:
Asimov said:

Can you please elaborate on what you consider the more common misnomers? Thanks.
I general I think it's the sense of exclusion that people place in Peat's advice. Like he says milk is good, so the Peat community interprets that as "only milk is good" and get 50% of their daily calories from milk.

You have to think, as many different foods as Peat has discussed in his articles and interviews, I'm sure it's still on scratching the surface of his own personal knowledge and diet.

Some people on this board act as if a particular food has been sanctified by Ray Peat, it's righteous and good, and if it hasn't, then it's not worth touching. I was shocked reading through the "eating on the go" thread to see people seriously mentioning eating haribo gummy bears if they're on the road as a meal replacement instead of just stopping at a restaurant and getting some good wholesome food.

Because gummy bears were sanctified, apparently people interpreted that to mean "eating 600 calories worth of gummy bears is a good meal" and since chipotle has never been sanctified, people run away scared even though it's perfectly healthy.

I don't think it's good to be extreme about anything, including diets.

T

tobieagle

Asimov said:
ttramone said:
Asimov said:

I general I think it's the sense of exclusion that people place in Peat's advice. Like he says milk is good, so the Peat community interprets that as "only milk is good" and get 50% of their daily calories from milk.

You have to think, as many different foods as Peat has discussed in his articles and interviews, I'm sure it's still on scratching the surface of his own personal knowledge and diet.

Some people on this board act as if a particular food has been sanctified by Ray Peat, it's righteous and good, and if it hasn't, then it's not worth touching. I was shocked reading through the "eating on the go" thread to see people seriously mentioning eating haribo gummy bears if they're on the road as a meal replacement instead of just stopping at a restaurant and getting some good wholesome food.

Because gummy bears were sanctified, apparently people interpreted that to mean "eating 600 calories worth of gummy bears is a good meal" and since chipotle has never been sanctified, people run away scared even though it's perfectly healthy.

selfmade gummy bears with lemon and orange juice are a very safe and nutrious snack better than most things you can order "on the road".

juanitacarlos

Asimov said:

I'd have to agree with you. I have, in the past, had a tendency to do that. Twist and turn a particular way of eating to fit my particular wants. Oh fat is good for me? Ok I will lather everything with butter because I love butter, and it's good for me now. I'm really trying to stop doing that.

But I think there is enough in Peat's writing to get a good amount of different types of food to form a foundation, and then work it for your own particular needs.

I think the important thing for me is that I don't want to eat like Peat, I want the health benefits that might happen if I incorporate into my diet certain foods and beverages, and possibly some supplements that Peat has written about. So if orange juice, or milk, or coffee, or gelatin will cure some of my ills, I will try and consume them and hopefully benefit from them. I'm only here because I'm unwell - if I was happy and healthy and energetic I wouldn't give my diet a second thought.

I've personally promised friends and family I will not show up at a get-together and refuse to eat because I'm on Diet X this week. I think the stress this denial caused me - not enjoying myself socially when food and drink is involed - has probably caused just as much damage as eating a couple of chicken wings and drinking a few beers. Enjoying yourself is very important!

But that's just me and I guess I'll see how my health improves over the next months and years.

Asimov

tobieagle said:
selfmade gummy bears with lemon and orange juice are a very safe and nutrious snack better than most things you can order "on the road".
What nutrients do gummy bears possess besides gelatin and sugar? They're missing about 90% of the essential nutrients humans need to survive.

If we're talking about complete, nutritious, convenient meals on the road, there's no rational way you can argue for haribo gummy bears and OJ over top of stopping at Chipotle, one of the biggest restaurants in America, and getting a freaking $6 burrito bowl.

This is the kind of illogical thinking I'm talking about when people regard the "peat diet". Ray Pay said gummy bears are great. So now we've got people trying to rationalize them as a complete, nutritious meal. Well....they're not, they're just a benign snack.

cliff

If you make the gummi squares with juice instead of water they have some nutrients.

If you want to go to chipotle it's an ok option but don't kid yourself that it's so nutritious haha. I imagine you would get something like rice, meat and cheese there which isn't really that amazing as far as nutrition go's. You have to deal with all the potential allergens too, for some people eating in restaurants is a major concern. Who cares how nutritious it is on paper if it irritates the **** out of your intestines.

By the way its classic you claim people in this community are woefully misguided in regards to biochemistry but you buy into the classic gary taube low carb bull**** which isn't even based on anything but conjecture, hello pot meet kettle :)

I've yet to see anyone rationalize gummy bears as a complete nutritious meal, i didn't know we had to have crazy nutrient dense meals every time we ate food. You probably don't even what a nutrient dense food is considering you think fish is a good source of potassium...

kiran

Well, if you're on the run, then sugar is probably one of your immediate needs to keep glycogen up. What better way to satisfy this than OJ. Doubt there's a more portable form of OJ than gummi squares.

key

Asimov said:
ttramone said:
Asimov said:

I've heard Ray talk about 90% of the food you can find in a grocery store.

I have done research on what foods are the most nutritious/cheapest and OJ is basically the most nutritious, easy to get, cheapest, easy to eat fruit/carb currently available at grocery stores. And milk is basically the most nutritious, easy to get, cheapest, easy to eat protein currently available. :2cents

gretchen

tobieagle said:
Asimov said:
ttramone said:
Asimov said:

I would pick up milk from a gas station to eat with homemade gummy bears before I would eat a restaurant meal , ita. In my view most Peatians aren't eating Peat approved foods arbitrarily but have consciously decided what's healthy and what's not based on his views.

No, Asimov, most restaurant food is not that wholesome. There's a popular cafe in my neighborhood that I used to eat at during my paleo/ real foods years. Now when I go there I realize no one who works there has the faintest clue what's healthy. It's all about appealing to the lowest common denominator who had just recently heard the term gluten free.

Asimov

gretchen said:
No, Asimov, most restaurant food is not that wholesome. There's a popular cafe in my neighborhood that I used to eat at during my paleo/ real foods years. Now when I go there I realize no one who works there has the faintest clue what's healthy. It's all about appealing to the lowest common denominator who had just recently heard the term gluten free.
In general you're right. They don't know what's healthy, but I don't put the burden of knowledge on restaurant staff. I put it on myself.

When I go to a mexican place and order carne asada, I don't ask them about PUFA content. I say "what kind of fat do you guys cook this in?". If they say "oil" I order something else. If they say "we just throw it in a pot and it cooks it's self" then I'm sold.

I've never been to a restaurant that I can't find something acceptable to eat with but a cursory glance over the menu and 1 or 2 questions to the staff.

key

^Yes we could find acceptable foods at basically any restaurant. But if someone wants to haribo gummi bears instead of chipotle, who cares?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals