Magnesium Glycinate and constipation

iLoveSugar

For years I have been dealing with bad stomach issues. Bloating m, discomfort, constipation, blood from straining, very limited diet, etc. I've taken small amounts of magnesium glycinate in the past and always hit or miss.

I still struggle with constipation, and for the most part go daily, but strain and never really feel better.

Problem is now, even at 150mg, Mag glycinate is just cleaning me out. Sure, it's nice to be cleaned out, but having no time to get to the bathroom several times a day is a nightmare.

For years I have been dealing with bad stomach issues. Bloating m, discomfort, constipation, blood from straining, very limited diet, etc. I've taken small amounts of magnesium glycinate in the past and always hit or miss.

I still struggle with constipation, and for the most part go daily, but strain and never really feel better.

Problem is now, even at 150mg, Mag glycinate is just cleaning me out. Sure, it's nice to be cleaned out, but having no time to get to the bathroom several times a day is a nightmare.
Have you tried Ray Peat’s recommended cascara tea?

FrostedShores

Try cascara sagrada if you haven't already. Go easy on it. A little goes a long way.

Also, 150 mg of Magnesium Glycinate is a pretty low dose. I take 600 mg a day, and I've seen some people on the forum take 1,000 mg or more. The glycinate form isn't supposed to cause digestive issues, either. I would think a different form would be better for dealing with constipation.

Try cascara sagrada if you haven't already. Go easy on it. A little goes a long way.

Also, 150 mg of Magnesium Glycinate is a pretty low dose. I take 600 mg a day, and I've seen some people on the forum take 1,000 mg or more. The glycinate form isn't supposed to cause digestive issues, either. I would think a different form would be better for dealing with constipation.
“Easy goes a long way” is right. I can’t take the capsules, they gave me horrible cramping. The tea is much nicer, and tasty if only steeped for less than a minute.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

I have tried multiple sources of cascara, and outside of the first time or two, never really felt great effects from it. More or less just nothing.

My main concern is why such a small amount of Mag glycinate completely wipes me out sometimes.

I have tried multiple sources of cascara, and outside of the first time or two, never really felt great effects from it. More or less just nothing.

My main concern is why such a small amount of Mag glycinate completely wipes me out sometimes.
I can’t say I notice any huge laxative effect with the tea, but I don’t want that either. I just use it after a restaurant meal or other bad eating times, to expedite the process. I guess if you are really constipated that bad the tea wouldn’t do the trick.

FrostedShores

Different types of magnesium seem to have different effects depending on the individual. I've experimented with multiple types, and I've gotten different results from each. Have you tried other types? I know glycine can cause digestive upset for some people, so maybe the glycinate form isn't the best form for you.

margo

“Easy goes a long way” is right. I can’t take the capsules, they gave me horrible cramping. The tea is much nicer, and tasty if only steeped for less than a minute.
Hi. I tolerate mg Glycinate well. No cramps and it calms me down but I can’t retain it. I’ve never had constipation even once in my life. I take it because I use progesterone and girls on the forum said to use a lot mg while on progesterone therapy. I’m just wondering is it possible that I have enough magnesium in my body that’s why laxative effects? People usually think they are deficient but maybe not everyone. Dont know what to think.
I also have terrible diarrhoea after chloride.
I took taurate today and will see how I feel.
Maybe it is this B1 deficiency.
Also I observe people in my family and they live until 80-90 yo never supplemented anything in their life’s. Also in my country we don’t eat leafy greens. This is not our food. I’m thinking how they still alive while you should take hundreds of mg daily? Maybe you don’t need this much.

Hi. I tolerate mg Glycinate well. No cramps and it calms me down but I can’t retain it. I’ve never had constipation even once in my life. I take it because I use progesterone and girls on the forum said to use a lot mg while on progesterone therapy. I’m just wondering is it possible that I have enough magnesium in my body that’s why laxative effects? People usually think they are deficient but maybe not everyone. Dont know what to think.
I also have terrible diarrhoea after chloride.
I took taurate today and will see how I feel.
Maybe it is this B1 deficiency.
Also I observe people in my family and they live until 80-90 yo never supplemented anything in their life’s. Also in my country we don’t eat leafy greens. This is not our food. I’m thinking how they still alive while you should take hundreds of mg daily? Maybe you don’t need this much.
Margo I don’t supplement anything either, and much better for it. I tried so many things and most worked until they didn’t, with most creating a different problem. I am sixty and am the healthiest of my life, not dealing with any issues. I don’t even take vitamins. Maybe you should start over and give your body a rest and see how you feel. Diet is everything.

margo

Margo I don’t supplement anything either, and much better for it. I tried so many things and most worked until they didn’t, with most creating a different problem. I am sixty and am the healthiest of my life, not dealing with any issues. I don’t even take vitamins. Maybe you should start over and give your body a rest and see how you feel. Diet is everything.
Thank you for your reply. Can you please share what do you eat daily? Or weekly. I try to eat Peaty. Think my diet is ok. I know people eating worse and they’re pretty healthy.

Thank you for your reply. Can you please share what do you eat daily? Or weekly. I try to eat Peaty. Think my diet is ok. I know people eating worse and they’re pretty healthy.
I document details of what I eat in my thread linked below. I mostly eat dairy, raw whole milk, cottage cheese, ricotta and fresh mozzarella, raw honey and maple syrup, shellfish, a little beef and lamb, boiled and broiled chicken wings, homemade bone broths and soups I make from them, corn and soy free eggs, white and purple sweet potatoes and sometimes regular red ones, and fresh pressed juices like apples, oranges, purple and white carrots, pineapple, mango and watermelon and it’s rind, and on occasion, sprouted grains or lately, boiled Angel hair pasta with marinara.

margo

I document details of what I eat in my thread linked below. I mostly eat dairy, raw whole milk, cottage cheese, ricotta and fresh mozzarella, raw honey and maple syrup, shellfish, a little beef and lamb, boiled and broiled chicken wings, homemade bone broths and soups I make from them, corn and soy free eggs, white and purple sweet potatoes and sometimes regular red ones, and fresh pressed juices like apples, oranges, purple and white carrots, pineapple, mango and watermelon and it’s rind, and on occasion, sprouted grains or lately, boiled Angel hair pasta with marinara.

Thank you

peter88

Have you tried thyroid? I deal with very similar symptoms, especially constipation and bleeding.

mattmm24

Forget all supplements. Start eating large quantities of cooked vegetables. You are likely dehydrated from your diet ( not sure what it is). You will get alot of calcium magnesium and tons of other vitamins/minerals. You don’t have to guess. I am talking about 6-9 cups a day. Not only will this help constipation all your other health problems will go away. Obviously eat some meat and whatever else you want. The easiest way is get an instant pot, Cook tell soft, throw butter on top and salt.

My personal stance is most people have horrible guts. They can’t absorb anything from regular food. So cooked vegetables where they are almost mushy are easy to digest with tons of nutrients. THEN after your digestion gets better you can start supplements again. I think most people aren’t getting much from supplements at all bc they can’t absorb them, let alone have no idea what to take.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals