Journey So Far To Normalise Hormones - Lab Results Included

RSTurbo

Hi all,

SUMMARY:
  • High Estrogen/Prolactin - Mid-Range - Testosterone
  • Suspected high affinity for converting natural testosterone production to estrogen
  • Suspected High cortisol levels
  • Objective: Increase T, Lower E and P.
New member here. Have lurked for a while and thought it would be worth posting the results of my most recent blood tests vs two years ago. I'm a 30 year old male and have suffered what I feel are symptoms of low T, lack of energy, general moodiness, stressed.

I wanted to try to improve things myself through diet/lifestyle so over the past two years I made a few changes in terms of adding the following to my diet each day:

Broccoli
Macadamia Nuts
Brazil Nuts
Eggs
Pomegranate juice
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
ZMA Supplement

I also supplement with Vitamin D and C, along with a multi vit and mineral supplment, although was doing this at the time of my first results too.

I'd previously eaten a relatively low fat diet with the main calories coming from protein and carbs so I'd imagine the increase in fat has been the main contributor that led to the increase in testosterone/LH etc.

Results below:

Feb 2017
Total Test 13.69
LH 1.39
FSH 2.07
SHBG 28.21
DHEA 10.13
Oestradiol 95.47
Prolactin N/A
Free Test (calc) 0.284
Free Androgen 48.53
Index

Feb 2019
Total Test 19.3
LH 3.3
FSH 2.72
SHBG 27.4
DHEA 8.45
Oestradiol 166
Prolactin 269
Free Test (calc) 0.446
Free Androgen 70.44
Index

Reference Ranges
Total Test 8.64 - 29
LH 1.7 - 8.6
FSH 1.5 - 12.4
SHBG 18.3 - 54.10
DHEA 4.34 - 12.2
Oestradiol 41-159
Prolactin 86 - 324
Free Test (calc) 0.2 - 0.62
Free Androgen 24-104
Index

My main concerns now are, unsurprisingly, the high levels of prolactin and estrogen. I'm guessing my body has a natural affinity to aromatise tesosterone hence the increased levels have caused higher estrogen.

I now want to tackle this with the end goal being testosterone in the higher range, along with lower estrogen and prolactin so there is more balance.

I'd appreciate any observations/comments that may help but so far I have settled on adding the following:

Vitamin K2 - Thorne - applied to scrotum for testosterone boosting/estrogen control
Ashwaghanda -KSM-66 - to help deal with cortisol/stress
Dopa Mucana - stress
Curcumin -Estrogen control

It's fair to say that although I'm in fairly good shape, weight training 3 x a week, just started HIIT (5ft 10, 12 Stone (170lbs)) I carry a disproportionate amount of my bodyfat around my stomach which I understand will mean more aromatisation. I'm therefore also now on a cutting diet to focus on losing this fat and also supps to control cortisol.

Are there any other obvious things I've missed that may help the numbers? I plan to run another set of blood tests later in the year to see what affect the next lot of changes will have.

Thank you in advance.

Turbo

Hans

Forum Supporter
Hey RSTurbo.
Reduced mood, well-being, etc., is most likely due to an increase in cortisol and serotonin. I think the elevated estrogen and prolactin and mid section fat is just a sign and symptom of that.
Your DHEA dropped and estrogen increased from the first to the second test, which is clearly an indication of elevated cortisol and possible sluggish thyroid function.
I'd drop the broccoli and nuts for now, and rather just focus on fresh fruits. Can be whole or juice. That will greatly promote the detoxification of estrogen through the liver.
Would you mind sharing exactly what you eat as well as what multi vit and mineral supp your using?
Then, instead of the ashwagandha (which is serotonergic) and curcumin (lower DHT), use tribulus terrestris as that also lowers cortisol, estrogen, prolactin and most likely serotonin as well, while boosting dopamine, DHEA and DHT. Mucuna would go synergistically with it.
Lowering cortisol, serotonin and overall stress would be fundamental to lowering estrogen and prolactin. If you don't, lowering estrogen and prolactin would be mission impossibru...
A great way to lower serotonin and boost dopamine would be with BCAA + phenylalanine and/or tyrosine with mucuna or diamant (adamantane). Then just add the tribulus to that stack and you should be all good to go to keep stress under control.

Then I would not advise to go into a caloric deficit or add extra exercise as your cortisol is already high. Pushing/stressing yourself to far might just cause you to crash and then it takes a lot of time, energy and patience to recover from.
So just stick to three times a week training and eat in a small surplus. Eliminate all potential gut irritating foods and eat only nutrient dense foods that's easy to digest.

Last but not least, keep the gut clean to reduce serotonin, estrogen, endotoxins, inflammation, etc. I used 1tsp activated charcoal with 1 tbsp coconut oil and vinegar twice a day for two weeks and I now have perfect bowel movements (ghost wipes) ever since.

Cirion

Last but not least, keep the gut clean to reduce serotonin, estrogen, endotoxins, inflammation, etc. I used 1tsp activated charcoal with 1 tbsp coconut oil and vinegar twice a day for two weeks and I now have perfect bowel movements (ghost wipes) ever since.

Thanks for this protocol. I am going to try this now myself. How much vinegar? By itself, or added to OJ or something?

btw too much olive oil may not be the greatest either, as it can add extra PUFA's and does not contain any SFA's. I'd stick to first cold pressed olive oil (if you do consume it) if you aren't already, as that's the best for you.

Hans

Forum Supporter
Thanks for this protocol. I am going to try this now myself. How much vinegar? By itself, or added to OJ or something
I took all three ingredients together about 30min before breakfast and 1hour after my last meal. I used 1tbsp vinegar per dose.

OP
R

RSTurbo

Thanks for the replies guys. Interestingly, the mid section fat is around the same as was in Feb 2017 and I don't feel that cortisol has been any different since then. My simplistic evaluation was based on the increased LH producing more test, which in turn meant more conversion to estrogen.

Thanks for the suggestion on Tribulus - will add to the regimen. Out of interest, what's the reason for dropping the broccoli and nuts?

What are your thoughts on the K2 and best dosing bearing in mind it'll be applied topically to the balls!?

Cheers.

Hans

Forum Supporter
Thanks for the replies guys. Interestingly, the mid section fat is around the same as was in Feb 2017 and I don't feel that cortisol has been any different since then. My simplistic evaluation was based on the increased LH producing more test, which in turn meant more conversion to estrogen.

Thanks for the suggestion on Tribulus - will add to the regimen. Out of interest, what's the reason for dropping the broccoli and nuts?

What are your thoughts on the K2 and best dosing bearing in mind it'll be applied topically to the balls!?

Cheers.
Progressively, in contrast to acutely, getting worse is a sign of something going backwards over a period of time. This can also be due to a reduction in the NAD:NADH ratio, mineral imbalances or deficiencies, inflammation, mitochondrial damage, excess stress and cortisol, lack of environmental enrichment, heavy metal accumulation, etc. So, something wasn't optimal back in 2017, and then it just progressively worse as time when on. So you'll have to identify what it is and then fix it.

Broccoli contains thyroid and endocrine disrupting substances, but maybe if you keep the amount low it wouldn't be too big of a problem.
Nuts are rich in PUFAs, except the macadamia. I'd just rather invest my calories from fats from other sources. Last time I ate macadamia nuts it didn't digest very well despite me chewing it well, and that led to gut issues.

For topical K2 I'd rather use Kuinone as it has better topical absorption, and then limit the dose to 3mg and not more than 5mg. But I don't know how well the thorne K2 will absorb there so I don't really know what dose to advise. Plus, if you apply 5mg+, your nut sack is going to get very/too oily and that will also limit absorption if applied in excess.

Cirion

Yeah +1 on the nuts. I personally now think when one is in a healing phase, virtually all PUFA's should be limited/eliminated, even those occurring naturally from wholesome foods. It's not that the PUFA's from whole foods are all that damaging, but when one already has a large amount of PUFA to purge, any PUFA, regardless of source, is not going to be helpful for recovery.

I am personally now attempting to transition my diet to essentially EFAD + HCO diet for ultimate PUFA elimination. (Essential Fatty Acid Deficiency (< 1 gram PUFA a day) and hydrogenated coconut oil to displace any PUFA's).

To that end, I personally opt not to consume eggs either. Now, I'm not telling you what to do, just what I'm currently doing. Because I haven't been doing EFAD for a sufficient time frame yet, I can not yet speak to its efficacy, but many people here have indeed done EFAD with good effect, which is what motivated me to start.

Last edited:
OP
R

RSTurbo

Thanks for the comments. Have ordered the Kuinone.

Will look at what other PUFAs I may be getting in diet and eliminate also.

Any other potential additions please let me know!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals