Jennifer's Recovery Log

tara

Hope something good comes out of that dr visit and tests for you.

Jennifer said:
I've hardly been talking (IRL) at all lately and instead I've been journaling.

Journalling has its uses, but there is nothing like connecting close up with real people - a journal can't always give a perspective outside apparently overwhelming worries etc. Hope you have some good people around you that you can talk with.

narouz

Great you're having those tests.
I'll be interested to see how they turn out.

I don't think it was bigp who posted a negative view of Nystatin.
Maybe I missed it.
But HDD posted what was said I think to be a view from Peat on it...?
Can't recall exactly.

As you know I've had a candida hypothesis about myself.
Along with many other hypotheses. :lol:

I've seen some significant improvement lately.
Couple of thoughts:
-I stopped D3 because some few think it may be immunosuppressive
-methylene blue has antifungal and antibacterial actions, and anti nitric oxide;
I take a light dose 2 or 3 times a day.
-lysine: good for gut and anti-serotonin and some say mood altering
-added calcium

My white tongue is very much improved after that regime.
Bumps that came up around my butt like half a year ago went away.
A sore inside my nose (nicked it wiping out my nose after some woodworking)
that would not heal for close to 2 years
is almost gone.
Most importantly, I've been able to use enough dosage of NDT to get my temps/pulses up
while not getting palpitations/skipping. So good signs now since able to do so.

Keep us posted!

HDD

It is on page 32 of the Townsend Letters, the last paragraph in the article. I can't copy/paste now but he says Nystatin can be toxic but it's considered the best treatment for deadly systemic infection(e.g. lungs, heart,kidney).

For what it's worth, I have been taking high dose Nystatin for one month now. I did a tremendous amount of research beforehand and decided that it's completely safe to take orally (not so much intravenously). It has been a lifesaver. I'm not recommending this to anyone, but simply clarifying my own personal position. I love the stuff....that is all. :2cents

OP
Jennifer

Jennifer

tara said:
Hope something good comes out of that dr visit and tests for you.

Jennifer said:
I've hardly been talking (IRL) at all lately and instead I've been journaling.

Journalling has its uses, but there is nothing like connecting close up with real people - a journal can't always give a perspective outside apparently overwhelming worries etc. Hope you have some good people around you that you can talk with.
Thanks, tara! :)

I'm in and out out of the house most days so I'm never isolated or anything and have plenty of good people around me. I also made sure to have a long talk with my doctor about how severe my depression is so that's why she's making sure to get all that blood work done. I'm hoping to no longer be a broken record and finally have some good news to share. :)

OP
Jennifer

Jennifer

narouz said:
Great you're having those tests.
I'll be interested to see how they turn out.

I don't think it was bigp who posted a negative view of Nystatin.
Maybe I missed it.
But HDD posted what was said I think to be a view from Peat on it...?
Can't recall exactly.
Yeah, thebigp and I had talked about Nystatin in her log or sunmountain's (?) and she mentioned what Ray said about it and I remember we talked about Pau d'Arco as an alternative.

narouz said:
As you know I've had a candida hypothesis about myself.
Along with many other hypotheses. :lol:

I've seen some significant improvement lately.
Couple of thoughts:
-I stopped D3 because some few think it may be immunosuppressive
-methylene blue has antifungal and antibacterial actions, and anti nitric oxide;
I take a light dose 2 or 3 times a day.
-lysine: good for gut and anti-serotonin and some say mood altering
-added calcium

My white tongue is very much improved after that regime.
Bumps that came up around my butt like half a year ago went away.
A sore inside my nose (nicked it wiping out my nose after some woodworking)
that would not heal for close to 2 years
is almost gone.
Most importantly, I've been able to use enough dosage of NDT to get my temps/pulses up
while not getting palpitations/skipping. So good signs now since able to do so.

Keep us posted![/font]
Thanks for sharing, narouz! :)

I did stop D3 supplementation after you had mentioned that to me. I haven't bought the lysine yet.

Did you end up using the Nystatin? I know at one point you were going to experiment taking it up your Southern Hemisphere. :mrgreen:

OP
Jennifer

Jennifer

HDD said:
It is on page 32 of the Townsend Letters, the last paragraph in the article. I can't copy/paste now but he says Nystatin can be toxic but it's considered the best treatment for deadly systemic infection(e.g. lungs, heart,kidney).
Great! Thanks for that info, Diane! I thought thebigp had mentioned Ray saying it was toxic.

OP
Jennifer

Jennifer

thebigpeatowski said:
For what it's worth, I have been taking high dose Nystatin for one month now. I did a tremendous amount of research beforehand and decided that it's completely safe to take orally (not so much intravenously). It has been a lifesaver. I'm not recommending this to anyone, but simply clarifying my own personal position. I love the stuff....that is all. :2cents
Oh, good! You're here, BP! :D

My doctor said the same as you. She said it's completely safe taken orally because it doesn't get absorbed through the intestines and we just poop it out. I'm just so darn itchy now and after my last dose of minocycline, I'm now itchy in my vagina. Sorry for being crude! Things are just not resolving no matter how many Peaty tools I try. My pantry is looking like a herbal and supplement shop again.

May I ask, what was your experience when starting the Nystatin? Did you have any negative reactions at first while your body got use to it or while it was clearing out the yeast?

tara

Jennifer said:
I'm in and out out of the house most days so I'm never isolated or anything and have plenty of good people around me.
:)

Jennifer said:
My doctor said the same as you. She said it's completely safe taken orally because it doesn't get absorbed through the intestines and we just poop it out. I'm just so darn itchy now and after my last dose of minocycline, I'm now itchy in my vagina. Sorry for being crude! Things are just not resolving no matter how many Peaty tools I try. My pantry is looking like a herbal and supplement shop again.

May I ask, what was your experience when starting the Nystatin? Did you have any negative reactions at first while your body got use to it or while it was clearing out the yeast?

I plan on posting about my experiment when the first round of Nystatin is complete, which will be at the three month mark. So I'm just over the one month mark so far....yes, there were some immediate reactions: headaches, dizziness, tired and general flu-like symptoms. I guess those lasted about a week. Then my appetite increased tremendously and my brain fog permanently disappeared. I also added a small dose of thyroid meds in May when I went to Mexico. And one week ago I added back my Magic Bullet (Methylene Blue) because I love it dearly. So far I feel completely awesome....too busy for words and I don't have internet service at my new place yet so I'm typing this on me phone. The sun is shining and I'm thoroughly enjoying the time away from the computer.....hugs and kisses all around!!! To be continued....XOXO

narouz

Jennifer said:
Did you end up using the Nystatin? I know at one point you were going to experiment taking it up your Southern Hemisphere. :mrgreen:

Ha. :D
Yeah, I was on the verge of taking it when I saw that negative note.
Really though, I can't say I've turned up much about dangers of Nystatin.
An interesting feature is that it is not systemic--
stays in the gut/bowels.

So that negative bit made me pause.
And then I started seeing significant improvements from the changes I mentioned,
so I've just put the Nystatin on the back burner.

I should've mentioned too, with the methylene blue,
since you noted depression...
Apparently some good science showing anti-depressant properties from MB.
In addition to its anti-fungal and anti-biotic actions.

narouz

thebigpeatowski said:
Jennifer said:

I plan on posting about my experiment when the first round of Nystatin is complete, which will be at the three month mark. So I'm just over the one month mark so far....yes, there were some immediate reactions: headaches, dizziness, tired and general flu-like symptoms. I guess those lasted about a week. Then my appetite increased tremendously and my brain fog permanently disappeared. I also added a small dose of thyroid meds in May when I went to Mexico. And one week ago I added back my Magic Bullet (Methylene Blue) because I love it dearly. So far I feel completely awesome....too busy for words and I don't have internet service at my new place yet so I'm typing this on me phone. The sun is shining and I'm thoroughly enjoying the time away from the computer.....hugs and kisses all around!!! To be continued....XOXO

That's great. :)

I just don't know how else to interpret your Repeated Scientific Experiment with Nystatin
than to think that you have problem-causing fungi/yeast.
I mean:
1. Nystatin kills fungus/yeast; does not kill bacteria (as far as I can find)
2. you repeatedly have specific symptoms
3. Nystatin repeatedly relieves those symptoms

Add to that
-your problems worsen after antibiotics...right?
Classic yeast scenario.

And yet: this is a mostly Imaginary Disease.
Peat thinks so too!

Do keep us posted, bigp!

narouz

HDD said:

Thank you, HDD!
I think there is a file deposited on the forum somewhere,
where we can go to read a lot of those Townsend Letters.

OP
Jennifer

Jennifer

thebigpeatowski said:
Jennifer said:

Aww...awesome, BP! It's great to hear you're doing so well and that the fog is finally gone! :D

OP
Jennifer

Jennifer

narouz said:
Thank you for mentioning that, narouz!

I'm wondering if its anti-fungal and anti-biotic actions translate into less critters that cause intestinal inflammation, which in turn means less serotonin and thus reduced depression? Is that how it works?

narouz

Jennifer said:
narouz said:
Thank you for mentioning that, narouz!

I'm wondering if its anti-fungal and anti-biotic actions translate into less critters that cause intestinal inflammation, which in turn means less serotonin and thus reduced depression? Is that how it works?

That is one possibility.
But MB's actions are more complex than just that.
For one thing, it helps mitochondrial energy.
There's at least one thread here on MB.
haidut has posted some studies and thoughts.
And several members have tried it, talked about it.
Peat discusses it a bit in the interview "Nitric Oxide" with The Herb Doctors.

Your Dr. O...
Is she/he a medical doctor?
Just wondering, because what medical doctor believes in candida!? :D

OP
Jennifer

Jennifer

narouz said:
That is one possibility.
Perfect! Thank you, narouz!

And yes, Dr. O is a regular GP who, after graduating, continued her schooling in alternative medicine so she uses a holistic approach. She was recommended to me by a chapter member of a WAPF group I was part of. The first time I met her, I mentioned Ray Peat and she new exactly who I was talking about. It was refreshing to not have to explain for the hundredth time that progesterone is the main female hormone, not estrogen.

narouz

Jennifer said:
narouz said:
That is one possibility.
Perfect! Thank you, narouz!

And yes, Dr. O is a regular GP who, after graduating, continued her schooling in alternative medicine so she uses a wholistic approach. She was recommended to me by a chapter member of a WAPF group I was part of. The first time I met her, I mentioned Ray Peat and she new exactly who I was talking about. It was refreshing to not have to explain for the hundredth time that progesterone is the main female hormone, not estrogen.

If you get a chance, Jennifer,
I wish you would ask her
-why she thinks candida may be a real, not an imaginary, disease
-what tests she puts stock in as far as testing for candida

Sounds like you've found a cool doctor!
Keep us posted about the labs and all....

OP
Jennifer

Jennifer

narouz said:
If you get a chance, Jennifer,
I wish you would ask her
-why she thinks candida may be a real, not an imaginary, disease
-what tests she puts stock in as far as testing for candida

Sounds like you've found a cool doctor!
Keep us posted about the labs and all....[/font]
Oh, she's not the only one who says candida overgrowth is real. The GI doctor that she referred my mom and I to said we had a candida overgrowth, not bacterial like my stool test showed. He went on to explain why, talking about Louis Pasteur's work with yeast and bacteria.

There was also the upper endoscopy I had done about two or three years back and one thing they checked for was a candida overgrowth. This was done by a regular gastroenterologist so candida overgrowth is thought to be real even outside of alternative medicine. From what Dr. O has told me, the problem is it's hard to distinguish from a bacterial overgrowth because the symptoms are so similar. And even if a stool test shows negative for a yeast overgrowth, you could still have it.

I'll be sure to post my labs. I get them done on Monday and should hopefully have the results by the end of next week. :)

narouz

Jennifer said:
Oh, she's not the only one who says candida overgrowth is real. The GI doctor that she referred my mom and I to said we had a candida overgrowth, not bacterial like my stool test showed. He went on to explain why, talking about Louis Pasteur's work with yeast and bacteria.

There was also the upper endoscopy I had done about two or three years back and one thing they checked for was a candida overgrowth. This was done by a regular gastroenterologist so candida overgrowth is thought to be real even outside of alternative medicine. From what Dr. O has told me, the problem is it's hard to distinguish from a bacterial overgrowth because the symptoms are so similar. And even if a stool test shows negative for a yeast overgrowth, you could still have it.

I'll be sure to post my labs. I get them done on Monday and should hopefully have the results by the end of next week. :)

As you know I'm very open to the existence of candida
as a real and maybe widespread gut disease.

So I'm curious what is being taught about it in medical schools
that makes doctors so certain it is just hypochondria.
And what elements of that teaching your Dr. O came to challenge and why.

Candida's existence as a gut disease
seems a little like the problem in proving the existence of UFOs.
People say they see UFOs,
but there never seem to be convincing photos.

With candida,
there are these alternative explanations,
like that the yeasts hide out in the dark recesses of the bowel
using biofilms to hide and protect themselves.
Seems like as many colonoscopies as are performed,
someone would be able to photograph or videotape these candida nests.

Or to invent a test that would prove candida's existence.

As I say, I'm very open to the existence of a candida disease in the bowels.
Just pointing out some of the frustrating things about how it is thought about.
And as I say,
it would seem to be one of those areas where the mainstream medical thinking
and Peat's thinking coincide.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals