Issues After Taking High Dose Niacinamide

erho

I’ve been storing lots of niacinamide, hesitating for probably two years, since my first reactions to it was low blood sugar.

So two weeks ago I decided to try it out in a moderate dose, then to increase it to about 2-3 grams to get the potential reduction anxiety that some see (as I struggle with anxiety and OCD). However, when I had reached a dose of 1 gram after a little more than a week I started feeling quite strange.

Even though I believed I felt some relief from anxiety, I started to feel dizzy coupled with this vague headache, and feeling a little loopy and out of it. I then also realised I’d been having strange indigestion and horrible loose stools for half a week atleast, which I’d ignored out of optimism for niacinamide.

So I went off it, feeling disheartened, disappointed and also worried about what had happened.
Since then I’ve been having bad digestion, which I havent had since I started peating unless I ate something that is difficult to digest.

Anyone got any idea why this happened and why it left my digestion in this way?
I was thinking if it had something to do with bile production or too much magnesium, as I do supplement 300mg Magnesium bisglycinate.

I’d be happy and grateful to hear any ideas or thoughts anyone of you might have.
Thanks

Last edited:

Frankdee20

That dosage will lower sugar reserves quite fast, and you will feel like ***t, cold and sweaty, big time head pounding, weak and loopey, unless you eat like a beast. I would have started with 100MG, and go from there.

Frankdee20

Magnesium can cause loose stools, but not typically from the glycinated form. Anything is possible though because it is still magnesium, even though only 13 percent by weight.

OP
E

erho

Thanks for your response!

I was definetly feeling quite loopey.
My belief now is that it definetly affected my liver badly and messed with my methylation.

My digestion is still far from what it was, which was great before.

tara

1000g is a high dose.

You could try 30-50mg 2-4 times/day with meals and see if that has positive effects for you.
I think I've noticed more good than harm from 30-100mg for me, but >300mg was too much. Having it without enough food (carby) worsens the risk.

OP
E

erho

1000g is a high dose.

You could try 30-50mg 2-4 times/day with meals and see if that has positive effects for you.
I think I've noticed more good than harm from 30-100mg for me, but >300mg was too much. Having it without enough food (carby) worsens the risk.

If I do try it again it will be with such a regimen.
I think I had been reading too much on the benefits of NAD and some studies reporting benzo-like effects from high dosage.

I guess some of us here (or just me) forget the risks of being our own lab rats sometimes. And in the end Peat’s advice should be the rule.

tara

I guess some of us here (or just me) forget the risks of being our own lab rats sometimes. And in the end Peat’s advice should be the rule.
Yes about risks.
But I don't think Peat's advice should always be treated as rules. He shares lots of valuable info, but it is still up to us to figure out what makes sense for us.

SOMO

Niacinamide causes itchy skin eruptions in me and others.

Small periodic doses are safer, which is ironic because most Niacinamide pills come in 500 or 1000mg doses.

In general, supplementing with isolated B Vitamins can throw stuff out of balance IMO. This is an issue if your diet is lacking in B Vitamins.

Last edited:

Inaut

Niacinamide: A Powerful Biomedicine

52076562599bb9d192224525533ec803
Joe
3 years ago

Niacinamide is a form of vitamin B3 with quite a simplistic but powerful benefits- profile. It costs $5 for a bottle. It is the healthiest and safest form of B3 since the other form, nicotinic acid AKA niacin, increases serotonin and prostaglandins, increasing inflammation, and degranulates mast cells, increasing allergies. Niacin is liver-toxic, causes severe flushing, and lowers cholesterol, which is bad since the beneficial cholesterol is needed to form protective neurosteroids. It also speeds up liver phase 1 metabolism, increasing chemical sensitivity.

Niacinamide does the opposite. It reduces serotonin and prostaglandins so is anti-inflammatory, stabilizes mast cells, reducing allergies, and slows down liver phase 1 metabolism, reducing chemical sensitivity. Niacinamide energizes mitochondria, improves brain and gastrointestinal healing, and protects against the toxic free fatty acids and nitric oxide. It spares liver glycogen storage, improving metabolism and is a potent antifungal effective for candida in only a single dose of 35 mg/kg.

Histone deacetylases are enzymes increasingly found to be involved in causing physical and mental illness. Histone deacetylase inhibitors (HDIs) have long been used in psychiatry and neurology as mood stabilizers and anti-epileptics, and are now being researched as potential treatments for cancer, parasitic, inflammatory, and neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s and Huntington’s, and as a method to extend lifespan. Niacinamide is a cheap and powerful histone deacetylase inhibitor.

Niacinamide suppresses cancer growth, silences the cancer-causing hormone estrogen, and improves the tumor suppressing gene, p53.

In stress, trauma, and depression, brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) and glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF), which regulate neuron growth and health, are downregulated. Histone deacetylase inhibitors like niacinamide upregulate BDNF and GDNF. Animals treated with HDIs improved as much or better than those treated with Prozac.

Persistent or treatment-resistant depression involves brain adaptations and changes in gene expression, which are caused by stressors like social defeat and learned helplessness. Histone deacetylase is closely involved in these maladaptive conditions. Thus, HDIs like niacinamide can effectively reverse this kind of depression.

HDIs like niacinamide decrease preference for addictive substances like nicotine without creating aversion, allowing free choice.

By agonizing GABA, niacinamide prevents anxiety and seizures, relaxes muscles, reduces aggression, and lowers the stress hormone cortisol, making it similar to but much safer than benzodiazepines. It’s HDI ability enhances fear extinction in anxiety disorders. Socially anxious and subordinate rats given niacinamide became confident and popular. Researchers linked this to niacinamide’s mitochondrial benefits.

An adult woman on a social anxiety support forum reported that 1500 mg niacinamide daily cured her panic attacks and phobias, and returned three years after her original post to confirm persistent recovery (“Niacinamide cure“).

By inhibiting the estrogenic SIRT1 gene, niacinamide increases dihydrotestosterone (DHT), increasing libido and genital health.

Niacinamide is beneficial to the skin, reducing dryness, hyperpigmentation, scarring, and photoaging.

References

Ray Peat, PhD Quotes on Therapeutic Effects of Niacinamide

Why not niacin instead of niacinamide?

Andy-Niacinamide and Taurine questions

Niacinamide reverses gastric damage caused by NSAID

Niacinamide / nicotinamide has a glycogen-sparing effect

Niacinamide Is A Potent Antifungal Effective Against Candida

Antidepressant actions of histone deacetylase inhibitors.

The potential use of histone deacetylase inhibitors in the treatment of depression.

Deep brain stimulation, histone deacetylase inhibitors and glutamatergic drugs rescue resistance to fear extinction in a genetic mouse model

Research On Niacinamide / Nicotinamide And Benzodiazepines

HDAC Inhibitors Affect Every Function Of The Cell And May Extend Lifespan

Niacinamide Lowers Cortisol

Anxiety Leads To Lower Social Status (and Niacinamide Fixes It)

Skin Rejuvenation and Topical Vitamins

SOrry his was this was posted already and new

OP
E

erho

52076562599bb9d192224525533ec803
Joe
3 years ago

Niacinamide is a form of vitamin B3 with quite a simplistic but powerful benefits- profile. It costs $5 for a bottle. It is the healthiest and safest form of B3 since the other form, nicotinic acid AKA niacin, increases serotonin and prostaglandins, increasing inflammation, and degranulates mast cells, increasing allergies. Niacin is liver-toxic, causes severe flushing, and lowers cholesterol, which is bad since the beneficial cholesterol is needed to form protective neurosteroids. It also speeds up liver phase 1 metabolism, increasing chemical sensitivity.

Niacinamide does the opposite. It reduces serotonin and prostaglandins so is anti-inflammatory, stabilizes mast cells, reducing allergies, and slows down liver phase 1 metabolism, reducing chemical sensitivity. Niacinamide energizes mitochondria, improves brain and gastrointestinal healing, and protects against the toxic free fatty acids and nitric oxide. It spares liver glycogen storage, improving metabolism and is a potent antifungal effective for candida in only a single dose of 35 mg/kg.

Histone deacetylases are enzymes increasingly found to be involved in causing physical and mental illness. Histone deacetylase inhibitors (HDIs) have long been used in psychiatry and neurology as mood stabilizers and anti-epileptics, and are now being researched as potential treatments for cancer, parasitic, inflammatory, and neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s and Huntington’s, and as a method to extend lifespan. Niacinamide is a cheap and powerful histone deacetylase inhibitor.

Niacinamide suppresses cancer growth, silences the cancer-causing hormone estrogen, and improves the tumor suppressing gene, p53.

In stress, trauma, and depression, brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) and glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF), which regulate neuron growth and health, are downregulated. Histone deacetylase inhibitors like niacinamide upregulate BDNF and GDNF. Animals treated with HDIs improved as much or better than those treated with Prozac.

Persistent or treatment-resistant depression involves brain adaptations and changes in gene expression, which are caused by stressors like social defeat and learned helplessness. Histone deacetylase is closely involved in these maladaptive conditions. Thus, HDIs like niacinamide can effectively reverse this kind of depression.

HDIs like niacinamide decrease preference for addictive substances like nicotine without creating aversion, allowing free choice.

By agonizing GABA, niacinamide prevents anxiety and seizures, relaxes muscles, reduces aggression, and lowers the stress hormone cortisol, making it similar to but much safer than benzodiazepines. It’s HDI ability enhances fear extinction in anxiety disorders. Socially anxious and subordinate rats given niacinamide became confident and popular. Researchers linked this to niacinamide’s mitochondrial benefits.

An adult woman on a social anxiety support forum reported that 1500 mg niacinamide daily cured her panic attacks and phobias, and returned three years after her original post to confirm persistent recovery (“Niacinamide cure“).

By inhibiting the estrogenic SIRT1 gene, niacinamide increases dihydrotestosterone (DHT), increasing libido and genital health.

Niacinamide is beneficial to the skin, reducing dryness, hyperpigmentation, scarring, and photoaging.

References

Ray Peat, PhD Quotes on Therapeutic Effects of Niacinamide

Why not niacin instead of niacinamide?

Andy-Niacinamide and Taurine questions

Niacinamide reverses gastric damage caused by NSAID

Niacinamide / nicotinamide has a glycogen-sparing effect

Niacinamide Is A Potent Antifungal Effective Against Candida

Antidepressant actions of histone deacetylase inhibitors.

The potential use of histone deacetylase inhibitors in the treatment of depression.

Deep brain stimulation, histone deacetylase inhibitors and glutamatergic drugs rescue resistance to fear extinction in a genetic mouse model

Research On Niacinamide / Nicotinamide And Benzodiazepines

HDAC Inhibitors Affect Every Function Of The Cell And May Extend Lifespan

Anxiety Leads To Lower Social Status (and Niacinamide Fixes It)

Skin Rejuvenation and Topical Vitamins

SOrry his was this was posted already and new

I appreciate the post, quite informative, great with everything in one spot.

What do you all think about the links between niacinamide and Parkinson? I read somewhere on the forum that it can activate some Parkinson gene.

tankasnowgod

I’ve been storing lots of niacinamide, hesitating for probably two years, since my first reactions to it was low blood sugar.

So two weeks ago I decided to try it out in a moderate dose, then to increase it to about 2-3 grams to get the potential reduction anxiety that some see (as I struggle with anxiety and OCD). However, when I had reached a dose of 1 gram after a little more than a week I started feeling quite strange.

Even though I believed I felt some relief from anxiety, I started to feel dizzy coupled with this vague headache, and feeling a little loopy and out of it. I then also realised I’d been having strange indigestion and horrible loose stools for half a week atleast, which I’d ignored out of optimism for niacinamide.

So I went off it, feeling disheartened, disappointed and also worried about what had happened.
Since then I’ve been having bad digestion, which I havent had since I started peating unless I ate something that is difficult to digest.

Anyone got any idea why this happened and why it left my digestion in this way?
I was thinking if it had something to do with bile production or too much magnesium, as I do supplement 300mg Magnesium bisglycinate.

I’d be happy and grateful to hear any ideas or thoughts anyone of you might have.
Thanks

1 gram is a big dose. In my personal experience, a dose of 1 gram at a time left me feeling spacy and weird. Could very well be due to the effects of lowering fatty acids in the blood and blood sugar. I find that 500mg in a dose causes no issues, if taken with carbs. I take this dose 2-3 times a day now.

Some people do well on much less. I was doing 50-100mg a dose a few times a day, and that was completely fine as well. Some experimentation is key here.

If you know about Hoffer's work, he knows of patients (schizophrenics) that saw benefits from taking up to 60 grams of niacin (or niacinamide) a day. But he stressed that was a theraputic dose, and most normal people couldn't handle anywhere near that much. He also personally built up to a higher dose of niacin over time, so again, experimentation in this area is a good idea.

tankasnowgod

What do you all think about the links between niacinamide and Parkinson? I read somewhere on the forum that it can activate some Parkinson gene.

Well, go find the actual quote first. Hard to comment on something when you don't know what the claim even is.

baccheion

I'm also a 500 mg at a time person. 1 gram was too much. On the other hand, I take inositol hexaniacinate.

Is it Peaty to take niacin with vitamin C as is often done elsewhere? 1:1 ratio, but 2:1 C:niacinamide may be better. A 2:1 C:B ratio with any megadosed B vitamin seems like a good approach.

tankasnowgod

Niacinamide Parkinson's Connection?

Sorry, heres one thread in which it was discussed.

Considering the study even states that a deficiency of niacinamide can help induce Parkinson's, I have no concerns about it. As for any idea of a "Parkinson's Gene" being "activated," I have no concerns, as those ideas seem to be a myth. There is no proof that any "gene" causes any degenerative disease. I think the idea is even ridiculous. I rejected Genetic Calvinism long ago.

OP
E

erho

Considering the study even states that a deficiency of niacinamide can help induce Parkinson's, I have no concerns about it. As for any idea of a "Parkinson's Gene" being "activated," I have no concerns, as those ideas seem to be a myth. There is no proof that any "gene" causes any degenerative disease. I think the idea is even ridiculous. I rejected Genetic Calvinism long ago.

Well if we want to talk about any disease as a disease we’re going to have to define it somehow.
Sometimes rare gene expressions might cause a cascade of degenerative effects, which results in a diagnosis. If we are to understand causal relations that can help us understand what the root of the issue is, then perhaps we have to take the role of genes into account, as they’re somewhat important for our physical makeup.

tankasnowgod

Well if we want to talk about any disease as a disease we’re going to have to define it somehow.
Sometimes rare gene expressions might cause a cascade of degenerative effects, which results in a diagnosis. If we are to understand causal relations that can help us understand what the root of the issue is, then perhaps we have to take the role of genes into account, as they’re somewhat important for our physical makeup.

Well, there seem to be much more direct environmental effects that cause degenerative diseases than any mythical gene. In fact, the study you referenced didn't even mention genes. It specifically mentioned an enzyme that degraded niacinamide.

OP
E

erho

Well, there seem to be much more direct environmental effects that cause degenerative diseases than any mythical gene. In fact, the study you referenced didn't even mention genes. It specifically mentioned an enzyme that degraded niacinamide.

Yeah, that’s true.
You’re right, I hadnt reread it. I don’t have complete underatanding of biochemistry either so its always a bit of a mistery until someone more knowledgable clarifies it, hehe.

That dosage will lower sugar reserves quite fast, and you will feel like ***t, cold and sweaty, big time head pounding, weak and loopey, unless you eat like a beast. I would have started with 100MG, and go from there.
How would niacinamide lower sugar reserves?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals