Progest-E Bizarre First Experience

OP
DannyIrons™

DannyIrons™

Based on your experience it did...no hormones for you until you get that cleared up maybe with antibiotics...no beer or wine

My naturopath doctor put me on a sugar-free since August which did not make me feel well, I only started with Peat a few weeks ago, I was off alcohol for 9 months.. I don't know if that issue has been resolved or not, symptoms could be a range of other things too. I've tried to google enterobacter/ray peat but it just displays my own posts so it doesn't seem anyone has the same pathogen or is aware of it.

Stool tests are very expensive!

inthedark

This seems like a pretty common reaction to small amounts of progesterone. As mentioned in this thread and on other sites I agree that intitial doses should be high as small doses apparently will release some stored estrogen but no necessarily provide enough progesterone to deal with that estrogen or some such. Don't be discouraged by this first try, imo progesterone is a very useful substance when used dosed correctly.

Arnold Grape

I agree and disagree. If you start progesterone you need to go heavy at first to switch over from estrogen dominance to progesterone dominance. This reaction is what makes people stay away from progesterone. When I first started taking progesterone I felt like I was coming down with the flu. Young males should not be taking progesterone but Preg instead. After man-o-pause its a different story...
Lol - I agree that context is oft-overlooked when taking something like progesterone, as is possibly the case here. What would you consider the age "manopause" begins? What are the symptoms?

Obi-wan

I think the age will vary. Could start as early as 35. My urologist let me know he just had a 38 year old come in with a 12,000 PSA. Manopause symptoms could be gain of weight, ED, High blood pressure, high cholesterol, low energy, diabetes, getting up to urinate at night, restless sleep, etc. Alcohol, stress, no exercise, wrong foods (not understanding PUFA), wrong supplements...

cyclops

There have been many many discussions on this forum by men of all ages trying to figure out if they could benefit from progesterone. Many different opinions on that. Many threads say it can be of benefit to young(ish) men in smaller amounts.

OP
DannyIrons™

DannyIrons™

This seems like a pretty common reaction to small amounts of progesterone. As mentioned in this thread and on other sites I agree that intitial doses should be high as small doses apparently will release some stored estrogen but no necessarily provide enough progesterone to deal with that estrogen or some such. Don't be discouraged by this first try, imo progesterone is a very useful substance when used dosed correctly.

There have been many many discussions on this forum by men of all ages trying to figure out if they could benefit from progesterone. Many different opinions on that. Many threads say it can be of benefit to young(ish) men in smaller amounts.

What would the issue be with starting a high dose for males? Or the main concern? I understand why it wouldn't be favourable in the long term due to T levels (despite some members reporting increased T levels at high doses). But if Peat recommends an initial high dose for women, would the same not apply for men? Fear factor maybe?

Obi-wan

Your gonads make Progesterone from LH (luteinizing hormone) along with testosterone . The signal comes from your pituitary gland. FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) make aromatase which we all know is the enzyme that converts testosterone to estradiol. So it depends on your situation. There is a feedback loop that adjusts LH and FSH. Low testosterone equals low progesterone IMO. I think men after man-o -pause can easily take 50-100 mgs per day as we are on par with women after menopause. Young dudes normally make approx. 10-12mg's per day. If you feel you are estrogen dominant then a higher dose is required to convert to progesterone dominance. If you go higher (couple hundred mg's) taper off slowly. At my higher dose I prefer a USP progesterone cream. Note: I am on androgen deprivation therapy due to advanced prostate cancer. I take Firmagon which shuts down LH and FSH. 50-100 mg's works for me...

inthedark

What would the issue be with starting a high dose for males? Or the main concern? I understand why it wouldn't be favourable in the long term due to T levels (despite some members reporting increased T levels at high doses). But if Peat recommends an initial high dose for women, would the same not apply for men? Fear factor maybe?

I'd recommend doing a search for the threads that talk about males taking progesterone. But offhand I think there's very few issues.

cyclops

Is it generally a good sign if progest-E increases libido in a male? Also if it creates some short lived euphoria?

JDreamer

I agree and disagree. If you start progesterone you need to go heavy at first to switch over from estrogen dominance to progesterone dominance. This reaction is what makes people stay away from progesterone. When I first started taking progesterone I felt like I was coming down with the flu. Young males should not be taking progesterone but Preg instead. After man-o-pause its a different story...

I'm a 41(M) and I finally jumped into the arena of progesterone supplementation a couple days ago. I've been experiencing basically what you described and I feel a little more relieved knowing that it's nothing abnormal. The instructions that come with the brand I'm taking are a bit vague, so I thought I kinda over-did it.