Niacinamide Causing Skin Issues For Anyone Else?

SOMO

The flushing forms of niacin release free fatty acids into the bloodstream and if you have a lot of PUFA stored, you may flood your body with inflammatory PUFA, leading to skin issues.

-Whenever I use niacinamide ORALLY, I get these small red bumps that are sometimes itchy and look a bit inflamed and dry similar to psoriasis or eczema. I normally do not get skin eruptions like this and it seems like I can reproduce this effect each time I supplement with niacinamide b3.

-Whenever I use niacinamide topically on my face, it causes what looks like regular acne/whiteheads in the area where it is applied.

-I do think isolated B-Vitamins can cause side-effects and it may be difficult to know the proper ratio/balance of the B-Vitamins. I have taken both low doses and higher doses of niacinamide and both seem to cause skin eruptions.

-I know that this isn't unique to me, as my partner took 1000 mg of Niacinamide before in 1 dose and got head-to-toe skin eruptions.

Supposedly Niacinamide is not supposed to cause any flushing or negative effects, but that has not been my experience.

BTW, my diet hasn't really changed for years and neither does my supplement regimen. I've had the bottle of Vitamin B3(Niacinamide) for over a year now, because when I first purchased it and used it, I also got skin eruptions and had to cease taking it. First dose I took I suspected it caused skin issues.

I recently started taking it again (just 25mg) after reading how wonderful and beneficial it is and I got another skin eruption...in the same area of skin. The most concerning this is that it seems reproducible.

Others have reported side-effects from Niacinamide but I haven't seen skin issues as a complaint from anyone else yet:

Niacinamide Without Side-effects - Is It Possible?

Can Niacinamide Increase Serotonin?

peter88

Have you experimented with this some more? I took niacinimide for the first time yesterday and got the same symptoms you mentioned. Not sure if i should continue supplementing it.

OP
SOMO

SOMO

Have you experimented with this some more? I took niacinimide for the first time yesterday and got the same symptoms you mentioned. Not sure if i should continue supplementing it.

If you have the skin reaction, definitely back off the B3 until it goes away and try a smaller dose. If you're using capsules, you can take less by separating the capsules and pour some of the powder into a cup with liquid and take it that way.

Yes, the niacinamide (in larger doses) DOES cause these dry skin patches for me still. I still take it almost daily, however.

However, I used to only be able to take 1/8th teaspoon and I can do half a teaspoon so I can only assume something was "purged" from my body and skin, since I no longer get this skin problem at the lower dosage.

This post was a while ago so I got to take the time to experiment. I believe the Niacinamide can flush PUFA from the system and lead to a temporary increase in PUFA, which then become prostaglandins and irritate the skin. In addition, B3 will increase the metabolism so if someone is not receiving enough vitamins/minerals these skin lesions can arise. I think the more PUFA someone has stored, the more likely they are to react to a supplement like B3 and possibly to ANY supplement that speeds up the Kreb's Cycle.

I think the benefits of B3 are worth taking, just take it slowly every few days in gradually increasing doses.

peter88

If you have the skin reaction, definitely back off the B3 until it goes away and try a smaller dose. If you're using capsules, you can take less by separating the capsules and pour some of the powder into a cup with liquid and take it that way.

Yes, the niacinamide (in larger doses) DOES cause these dry skin patches for me still. I still take it almost daily, however.

However, I used to only be able to take 1/8th teaspoon and I can do half a teaspoon so I can only assume something was "purged" from my body and skin, since I no longer get this skin problem at the lower dosage.

This post was a while ago so I got to take the time to experiment. I believe the Niacinamide can flush PUFA from the system and lead to a temporary increase in PUFA, which then become prostaglandins and irritate the skin. In addition, B3 will increase the metabolism so if someone is not receiving enough vitamins/minerals these skin lesions can arise. I think the more PUFA someone has stored, the more likely they are to react to a supplement like B3 and possibly to ANY supplement that speeds up the Kreb's Cycle.

I think the benefits of B3 are worth taking, just take it slowly every few days in gradually increasing doses.
I appreciate the insights. I think I’ll try a small dose of B3 again in a couple days and maybe even experiment with haiduts energin.

FitnessMike

i got red itching spots on my skin from it too

joaquin

I like to take niacinamide as it makes sugar consumption much more enjoyable; however, I get spontaneous itchiness from it, so I don't take it often.
When I do take it, I will be trying to fall asleep and a spot on my arm or leg will just out-of-nowhere draw my immediate attn to it because of some slight itch. Or it could be a spot on my head or stomach.... This gets worse with each day that I take it. Maybe it will go away when all pufas are depleted.

japanesedude

I got big **** acne right next to my nose and even on my **** they magically appeared when I started taking 500mg niacinamide