Is there nothing bad to say about Xanthan Gum?

trinity

I went searching Pubmed thinking there would be a heap of studies showing the negative effects of this gum on our health. But alas... none (that I could find). What's going on? Surely this gum can't be benign. Its everywhere! Anybody got some dirt on Xanthan gum? Please tell me there are some studies out there somewhere showing it's negative effects on us humans.

OP
trinity

trinity

Dr. Peat had plenty bad to say about it.

Search xanthan gum here:
Thanks Sunny, I know Ray's views on gums and other additives (toxic), but I was looking for some hard evidence as in a study or two. Anybody?

LucH

Please tell me there are some studies out there somewhere showing it's negative effects on us humans.
Not everybody thinks it's a problem if taken in moderate dose. Not me: I don't buy a product with guar gum in the composition. Other gums are less problematic if consumed in small amounts (low frequency too).

*) Animal Studies
Most of the carrageenan hysteria stems from animal studies that implicate carrageenan in the formation of ulcerations and cancerous lesions in the colon. A thorough review of the approximately 45 available animal studies on carrageenan was published in 2001, and at first glance, these studies seem alarming. However, it turns out that the majority of these animal experiments used poligeenan instead of carrageenan, and as I mentioned before, these are two separate compounds with different effects. Poligeenan is significantly more detrimental to the health of lab animals than carrageenan, so the lack of a clear designation between them has given carrageenan a worse reputation than it deserves.
source : Harmful or Harmless: Carrageenan - Chris Kresser

*) Carrageenan and liver enzyme (terms for Google Search)
=> Impact on immune system (macrophages & potentiation of tumour growth) + damage to the liver and kidneys.

Carrageenan: a review of its effects on the immune system - Inflammation Research

*) Guar gum and gut bacteria
=> Guar gum induces a selective adaptation of microbial taxonomy and function. Stimulates Bifidobacteria and butyrate-producing bacteria in the human large intestine.
Note’editor: White side of the angel ;)
Black side: Refined guar gum may heighten the intestinal inflammation in patients with IBD.
Metabolic response of intestinal microbiota to guar gum consumption
https://www.sciencedirect.com/scien...Conclusions,inflammation in patients with IBD.

*) Galactomannan and sides effects
This polysaccharide may be produced by aspergillus => antifungal reaction by fragile / weak persons. Excessive reaction.

sunny

Thanks Sunny, I know Ray's views on gums and other additives (toxic), but I was looking for some hard evidence as in a study or two. Anybody?
Maybe you have to look back to the 1940s like RY was talking about. He said after that, when industry was more powerful than FDA, that is when it started to " be fine for human health ". Just a thought.

Jonk

Not everybody thinks it's a problem if taken in moderate dose. Not me: I don't buy a product with guar gum in the composition. Other gums are less problematic if consumed in small amounts (low frequency too).

*) Animal Studies
Most of the carrageenan hysteria stems from animal studies that implicate carrageenan in the formation of ulcerations and cancerous lesions in the colon. A thorough review of the approximately 45 available animal studies on carrageenan was published in 2001, and at first glance, these studies seem alarming. However, it turns out that the majority of these animal experiments used poligeenan instead of carrageenan, and as I mentioned before, these are two separate compounds with different effects. Poligeenan is significantly more detrimental to the health of lab animals than carrageenan, so the lack of a clear designation between them has given carrageenan a worse reputation than it deserves.
source : Harmful or Harmless: Carrageenan - Chris Kresser

*) Carrageenan and liver enzyme (terms for Google Search)
=> Impact on immune system (macrophages & potentiation of tumour growth) + damage to the liver and kidneys.

Carrageenan: a review of its effects on the immune system - Inflammation Research

*) Guar gum and gut bacteria
=> Guar gum induces a selective adaptation of microbial taxonomy and function. Stimulates Bifidobacteria and butyrate-producing bacteria in the human large intestine.
Note’editor: White side of the angel ;)
Black side: Refined guar gum may heighten the intestinal inflammation in patients with IBD.
Metabolic response of intestinal microbiota to guar gum consumption
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S247529912311660X#:~:text=Conclusions,inflammation in patients with IBD.

*) Galactomannan and sides effects
This polysaccharide may be produced by aspergillus => antifungal reaction by fragile / weak persons. Excessive reaction.
I see from the Chris Kresser article he writes: "Regardless, the significant differences between poligeenan and carrageenan as evidenced by the reactions of lab animals make it pretty clear that even if some degradation does take place, carrageenan still doesn’t have the potential for harm that poligeenan does." Does that even make sense? The potential harm from poligeenan (degraded carrageenan) doesn't compare to the harm from poligeenan? Am I missing something? He just means that the amounts of degradation would be so small that it wouldn't compare to larger amounts of poligeenan ingested?

OP
trinity

trinity

Thanks everyone for your contribution. I'm disappointed though, as it seems there is no hard evidence against Xanthan Gum. This s#*t is being added to everything!
Maybe you have to look back to the 1940s like RY was talking about. He said after that, when industry was more powerful than FDA, that is when it started to " be fine for human health ". Just a thought.
I think it was only discovered in 1963.

OP
trinity

trinity

"Consequently, no conclusions could be drawn on the safety of the X. campestris strains ■■■■■. Considering the above and in the absence of adequate information on the additive under assessment, the FEEDAP Panel cannot conclude on the safety of xanthan gum produced by the X. campestris strains ■■■■■ for the target species, the consumer, the user and the environment. Xanthan gum is considered as an efficacious stabiliser and thickener in feedingstuffs for all animal species at the proposed conditions of use."

Last edited:

sunny

Dr. Peat replies in all interviews that he was reading about it in the 1940s Britannica. I don't have a set, but have been meaning to get one.

Here is a description from the current online Britannica. It does not entice me to eat it:

"

Production​

Xanthan gum is derived naturally from X. campestris, which is a plant pathogen, being responsible for diseases such as black rot in brassica crops (e.g., cauliflower and cabbage). The gum is produced when sugar, commonly from corn, wheat, or soy, is fermented by X. campestris. The gum is then processed, through pasteurization, drying, and milling, to create a fine white powder or, occasionally, granules. The final product, a kind of hydrocolloid, disperses and creates a gel when added to water."

OP
trinity

trinity

This might be of interest: Direct impact of commonly used emulsifiers on human gut microbiota.

I've found other studies in the past, though I don't have them to hand and I can't recall what I was searching for at the time. I think this particular study has been discussed here before, too.
Great find! Thanks CreakyJoints.

Exactly what I expected, and was after.

"Microbiotas exposed to xantham gum, sorbitain monostearate, and glyceryl stearate displayed a tendency of increased LPS levels during the treatment phase, which became significant in the post-treatment phase, suggesting that these dietary emulsifiers induce slow but persistent increase in the microbiota’s expression of these pro-inflammatory molecules. Moreover, all carrageenans (iota, kappa, and lambda), as well as xantham gum, guar gum, and locust bean gum, significantly induced bioactive levels of flagellin in a reversible manner"
"Locust bean gum, HPMC, guar gum, and kappa carrageenan impacted various parameters in a reversible manner, while xantham gum, sorbitan monostearate, glyceryl stearate, maltodextrin, and P80 impacted various microbiota parameters, both compositionally and/or functionally, in a non-reversible manner (Table (Table22 and Fig. Fig.8).8). These results suggest that particular caution should be employed for these latter compounds, and suggest priorities for further in vivo testing of these emulsifiers broadly used by the food industry".

OP
trinity

trinity

Dr. Peat replies in all interviews that he was reading about it in the 1940s Britannica. I don't have a set, but have been meaning to get one.

Here is a description from the current online Britannica. It does not entice me to eat it:

"

Production​

Xanthan gum is derived naturally from X. campestris, which is a plant pathogen, being responsible for diseases such as black rot in brassica crops (e.g., cauliflower and cabbage). The gum is produced when sugar, commonly from corn, wheat, or soy, is fermented by X. campestris. The gum is then processed, through pasteurization, drying, and milling, to create a fine white powder or, occasionally, granules. The final product, a kind of hydrocolloid, disperses and creates a gel when added to water."

A great reference. Thanks Sunny!

CreakyJoints

Great find! Thanks CreakyJoints.

Exactly what I expected, and was after.

You're very welcome! I'm happy it was useful to you.

I asked Ray about something related to allergies once, he said the following, which may be of interest to you also:

"An irritant, such as an emulsifier, taken with another substance can sometimes produce an allergy. The allergy is likely to be more or less permanent, but may gradually fade away."

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals