Hard to believe estradiol is good for collagen synthesis. Somehow I don't trust the science.

trinity

Hi all,

Ray says:

"Because of the claims that estrogen protects the skin against aging, investigators have tested its effects when rubbed into guinea pigs (Pliske, 1953), or injected into rats (Hooker and Pfieffer, 1943). It caused hair loss and thinning of skin in the rats, and in guinea pigs it caused degeneration and vacuolization of connective tissue. Animal experiments show clearly that estrogen accelerates the aging of connective tissue, and it causes the accumulation of 'age pigment'. (Extract from 'From PMS to Menopause: Female hormones in Context)

however a search on pubmed only reveals a heap of studies showing good outcomes when administering estradiol, resulting in an increase of collagen synthesis.

My gut is telling me different but I can't find any recent studies (or older studies for that matter) which show any detrimental effects of estrogen on collagen synthesis.

Can anybody help out with some studies showing a detrimental effect of estrogen on collagen production?

Thanks in advance.

youngsinatra

Estradiol raises ceruloplasmin which is involved in lysyl oxidase (collagen-crosslinking)

„Activity levels or aortic lysyl oxidase, a copper metalloenzyme, have been compared with ceruloplasmin (p-phenylenediamine oxidase activity) concentration in copper deficient and normal chicks.

The marked decrease in lysyl oxidase activity in copper deficiency and this enzyme's rapid return following CuSO(,4) injection have been correlated with similar behavior in ceruloplasmin concentrations.

Administering estradiol-17(beta) to deficient birds enhanced the subsequent activation of lysyl oxidase by CuSO(,4). The heightened response correlated with an increase in ceruloplasmin levels but not serum copper.“

High E2 is a problem, but if you crash your E2, you will feel even more awful.

OP
trinity

trinity

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals