Is there any way to VERIFY my allergy to caffeine?

Kenobi

For some reason, when I was 12 yo, I took caffeine with great results, even without nutrition. A stimulant and anti-depressant effect. But a couple years ago, I tried it again when I started Peating, and it makes me feel moody and tired at low doses, with plugged ears after I didn't take it for a while. At higher doses, I felt suicidal, I normally never feel suicidal. So is there a way to medically verify an allergy, or do it some other way? I wonder if I can cure it, why would I respond differently now than before?

aquaman

In terms of the effect, it will change as different hormones change in your body.

If you know it's bad for you, you don't need "medical verification", just avoid it.

One way is to check your body temps with and without caffeine at various times of the day, but the suicidal thoughts are enough to make you stay away from it. Don't worry about it, it's not essential.

tara

Have you identified whether it is the caffeine or the rest of the coffee that causes you problems? I am hoping one day i can manage the strong stuff, but in the meantime I am drinking instant decaf. It still probably has some caffeine in it, but a lot less. I started of weak, and am gradually increasing strength. Requires extra food to not cause stress. Have you tried only drinking it after your larger meals?

OP
K

Kenobi

Yes, I drank coffee after big meals and everything, but apparently hypoglycemia or protein deficiency is not the issue. And not the components of coffee, but caffeine in particular. I had my worst memory with 1200 mg of caffeine in a capsule after a full meal. I seemed to have to "recover" from it the next morning, so I bought a video game and played it through for like a week and ate a less strict diet.

And Aquaman, it would be interesting to see if it actually increases serotonin or histamine for me, instead of decreasing it. The first time I ever considered thyroid was when I told RP about my negative reaction to caffeine, and he asked if I got my thyroid tested.

tara

1200 mg of caffeine in one go is a huge dose. I'm not surprised you reacted strongly to that. I don't see why that would indicate a particular allergy, just a normal reaction to a big overdose. Don't they estimate a regular cup of coffee at about 100mg? If you haven't tried decaf, I'd give it go. It has many of the other beneficial components of coffeee without the big caffeine hit.

OP
K

Kenobi

When I take a huge dose, I react very negatively. When I take a small dose, I react slightly negatively. I should definitely keep caffeine out of my system.

Blinkyrocket

Because you said you were also affected negatively just by caffeine itself this probably means nothing but coffee has a thiamine inhibiting effect and low thiamine can cause depression. Maybe it's a B vitamin thing? Depression isn't all about serotonin, I don't think, since serotonin activates adrenaline it can actually make you feel good, I bet. For me, caffeine slows my heart rate and calms me down to the point of nonexistent stress, so relaxed that I can let my mind wander to the point where it seems I'm dreaming while being perfectly awake (I.e. somehow not controlling my thoughts consciously but also being aware that I'm awake).
Course my definition of slowed-down heart rate is around 75-80 so not THAT slow.
I guess telling you about my good experience doesn't really help :roll:

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals