Is There Any Safe Antispasmodics Out There?

lindsay

The past few days I have been experimenting with Tetracycline antibiotics and Cyproheptadine - reason being that I have felt like I have been battling a mild ear/sinus infection for quite some time, or else I have horrible allergies this season. Also, the ear pain and sinuses tend to correlate with stomach troubles.

Unfortunately, I also started menstruating the day I received both items in the mail (which explains the more extreme stomach-tied-in-a-knot issues I've been having). Though I do think the antibiotics are helping, my stomach has been in knots for over a week due to menses and it's driving me crazy. The cyproheptadine worked wonders for my stomach trouble at even a very small dose, but the problem is, it knocks me out. Great for sleep time, not great for daytime issues when I need to be alert, working and functioning. Though it will come in very handy for air-travel.

This reminded me - when I was stupid years ago and let my doctors give me Zelnorm for my constipation issues - I complained to the doctor about how it made my stomach feel unsettled long after taking it. So he gave me a prescription antispasmodic to take after the Zelnorm did it's magic and the two things together worked fantastic - at least until the Zelnorm had done it's harm.

Are there good antispasmodics out there which are SAFE for use for things like Premenstrual issues, or menstrual issues, when you just need the tummy to stop cramping? If anyone has any good recommendations, I'm all ears - whether an antispasmodic or an anticholinergic that is safe and doesn't cause drowsiness.

I'm not going to lie - Cypro makes me feel real nice at 0.5 mg, but I needed to take a huge nap and could barely stand up a few hours after taking it. Not suitable for long days on my footsies.

Thanks!

Last edited:

meatbag

Wouldn't topical Progesterone on the cramping area be effective? I might be misunderstanding this issue

Mittelschmerz is one-sided, lower abdominal pain associated with ovulation. German for "middle pain,"

From "Progesterone in Orthomeolecular Medicine" 3. Cramping at ovulation, often mistaken for appendicitis: in a 1962 study, 62% of all appendices removed from girls ages 11-20 were normal." pg 61

"I demonstrated that it acts similarly on vascular smooth muscle, regulating its tone and preventing venous pooling of blood, and maintaining normal filling of the heart, opposing shock. The immediate improvement in circulation can have dramatic effects, which include restoration of kidney function, elimination of fluid from the lungs, restoration of sensation in the feet, and healing of gangrenous toes. It restores normal tone to other smooth muscles, including the gall bladder, urinary bladder, intestine, sphincters, and uterus." pg 53

"Estrogen synergizes with adrenaline in causing vascular spasm." pg 5

OP
lindsay

lindsay

Wouldn't topical Progesterone on the cramping area be effective? I might be misunderstanding this issue

Mittelschmerz is one-sided, lower abdominal pain associated with ovulation. German for "middle pain,"

From "Progesterone in Orthomeolecular Medicine" 3. Cramping at ovulation, often mistaken for appendicitis: in a 1962 study, 62% of all appendices removed from girls ages 11-20 were normal." pg 61

"I demonstrated that it acts similarly on vascular smooth muscle, regulating its tone and preventing venous pooling of blood, and maintaining normal filling of the heart, opposing shock. The immediate improvement in circulation can have dramatic effects, which include restoration of kidney function, elimination of fluid from the lungs, restoration of sensation in the feet, and healing of gangrenous toes. It restores normal tone to other smooth muscles, including the gall bladder, urinary bladder, intestine, sphincters, and uterus." pg 53

"Estrogen synergizes with adrenaline in causing vascular spasm." pg 5

I have been applying progesterone to my abdomen topically for quite some time. It doesn't do a thing for the stomach pain. Cyproheptadine worked wonders, except for the extreme tiredness it gave me. But thank you for the suggestion! I understand this Mittelschmerz thing all too well - that's the stabbing of the ovary pain which accompanies the cramping pain. I like that term too :): I might have to use that!!

OP
lindsay

lindsay

Pepto Bismol?

Hmmm. I've not tried this. Does it work for menstrual cramping? Usually the one pain causes the other in my case. I've thought about trying PB, but I hate the taste. Tablets might be feasible though. My biggest concern is that PB might cause constipation. That's the frustrating part - I don't actually get diarrhea during the menstrual cycle - just feels like I might have it and I get super bloated, despite eating lots of salt.

OP
lindsay

lindsay

Does the expresso relax/calm you down or does it make you stressed/hyper?

Espresso always relaxes me. But it does not relax my stomach and stop the cramping.

Peata

Hmmm. I've not tried this. Does it work for menstrual cramping? Usually the one pain causes the other in my case. I've thought about trying PB, but I hate the taste. Tablets might be feasible though. My biggest concern is that PB might cause constipation. That's the frustrating part - I don't actually get diarrhea during the menstrual cycle - just feels like I might have it and I get super bloated, despite eating lots of salt.
I guess I need a little clarification. I thought the trouble was cramping ala diarrhea. But are you talking about menstrual cramps?

Peata

What about some Alka Seltzer? It has the aspirin for menstural cramps and the baking soda can help other kinds of cramps (muscle cramping pain), ime.

Derek

Espresso always relaxes me. But it does not relax my stomach and stop the cramping.

It's high in magnesium and if it relaxes you then additional magnesium probably won't help. How's your potassium status?

OP
lindsay

lindsay

I guess I need a little clarification. I thought the trouble was cramping ala diarrhea. But are you talking about menstrual cramps?

You know that feeling like you need to have a good bowel movement with complete elimination, and it doesn't happen? It's like that, even after having a good bowel movement in the morning. But then it's like the stomach just keeps cramping and rumbling, but not leading anywhere further. I'm sure it's serotonin-estrogen related, but it always used to coincide with menstruation for me - seems that hasn't changed. Diarrhea would be better, because at least there would be an end to it. This is just annoying. Cypro worked great, but it made me tired and bound me up.

What about some Alka Seltzer? It has the aspirin for menstural cramps and the baking soda can help other kinds of cramps (muscle cramping pain), ime.
Hmmm. That's a good idea to try! Aspirin doesn't do much for me, but I could just drink some baking soda water and see if that leads somewhere. I hate being a woman - I didn't miss this menses thing all those months.

OP
lindsay

lindsay

It's high in magnesium and if it relaxes you then additional magnesium probably won't help. How's your potassium status?

I'm not sure about potassium. I think it should be okay. I drink OJ and eat oranges and am not experiencing actual diarrhea or other muscle cramping. But I do get really exhausted and weak feeling during menses. Would more OJ be enough?

Derek

I'm not sure about potassium. I think it should be okay. I drink OJ and eat oranges and am not experiencing actual diarrhea or other muscle cramping. But I do get really exhausted and weak feeling during menses. Would more OJ be enough?

I don't think OJ is a good source. The amount you need to consume to get enough K would cause a lot of digestive distress for most people. Chocolate, Potatoes, Cooked Greens & Milk seem like better choices.

OP
lindsay

lindsay

I don't think OJ is a good source. The amount you need to consume to get enough K would cause a lot of digestive distress for most people. Chocolate, Potatoes, Cooked Greens & Milk seem like better choices.

On the scale of "digests easily for me", Organic OJ (I've found one brand I like) is much easier on my digestion than milk, chocolate and potatoes. Cooked greens are a toss-up, but I do like soups with well cooked greens, so maybe next cycle I will give that a try. But I digest OJ well and it keeps the bowel movements a bit more frequent (which helps to alleviate the cramps), so long as I drink it with or after food & salt. Too bad cheese and cream don't have potassium. I prefer cream and cheeses to milk. Less fluids more tastiness.

Peata

Try sweet potatoes and see if they digest better than the others. They have potassium too.

OP
lindsay

lindsay

Hmmm. I've never tried it. It's in a lot of meats, so I do get some of it. But I don't know what sort of dose would be helpful. I've been a bit nervous about supplementing amino acids since my Taurine experience :wideyed:

Doesn't help your pain or ? Just curious.

I've taken aspirin and large and small doses and it does nothing for me. The only thing that kills pain for me is Advil, and I only take it when I have a bad headache. I've tried taking three aspirin for headaches and nothing. I wish I felt some relief from aspirin, but it hasn't worked for me in the past. I do think the enteric coated stuff might have done a little something. I could try it again. Feeling better now though. Hopefully at the end of this hellish week. Being a woman sucks.

P.S. I do plan to experiment with raw sweet potato at some point. But in the past, mashed sweet potatoes have been difficult for me to digest. However, maybe after the antibiotics, I can try again. I have been taking a very low dose hoping to help the digestive scenario. By the way, I know you've taken Cypro in the past...... How long before the body adjusts to the drowsiness? 0.5 mg seriously kicked me in the pants when I took it Sunday afternoon - like I had to take a huge nap and was super sedated. I can take a whole Benadryl and it will do nothing, so I was kind of surprised.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals