Is there any benefit to the vinegar in the carrot salad?

Bluebell

I am having a little distilled white vinegar on my carrot salad, along with salt (can't have coconut oil, even the refined stuff I react to).

I'm quite happy not to have vinegar taste-wise. Is there any health benefit to adding the vinegar?

chris

As far as I am aware, it is an antiseptic and/or antibiotic to some degree. If you are using vinegar regularly watch out for sulphates, there is still a lot of benefit from a carrot salad without vinegar, if it isn't your thing.

LucyL

I use balsamic, b/c that is what's on the salad bar where i get shredded carrots ;-) I also use olive oil. I find oil to be necessary to balance the vinegar taste. They really go together and Peat has said olive oil is an ok sub for coconut on the salad.

Peater

It gave me killer sensitive teeth which I've never had in my life.

At first I thought it was all the sugar, but by accident I stopped having the salad and it cleared up.

Stupid question: will just eating a couple of carrots will still have the anti-estrogen effect?

jyb

Peater said:
Stupid question: will just eating a couple of carrots will still have the anti-estrogen effect?

Apparently the anti-estrogen part is mostly due to the fiber structure that helps transport it. And maybe the chewing and gratting makes it better as it increases the surface.

tara

I think Peat suggests using vinegar with the carrot salad to add to the antimicrobial effect in the gut.
Personally I prefer my carrot salad without vinegar, but it might be more effective if it's included.

Not from Peat, but some people find a little cider vinegar helps with digesting meals - presumably if the stomach acid is a bit weak.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
H Minimal elevation needed for health benefit? Altitude, Weather 4
Advocate2021 Doxycycline vs. Amoxicillin? prescribed incidentally for ear/sinus infection but true goal has been to reap intestinal and other benefit Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 75
C Does Flowers Of Sulphur Only Benefit The Gut? Ask For Help or Advice 14
Twohandsondeck Cocoa Or Pre-treated Cacao For Benefit? Diet, Recipes 4
B No Real Benefit/potential Risks Seen With IF For T2D - Hot Off The Press Scientific Studies 2
Hans Red And Infrared Light's Benefit Is Not Through Cytochrome C Scientific Studies 27
Fletcher Fish Oil Supplements Offer 'little Or No Benefit' Against Cancer Diet, Recipes 3
Cameron Aspirin And Collection Of Benefit Articles Health 2
L Can Young Men (age Between 18-30) Benefit From Taking Pregnenolone, If Their Metabolism Is Good? Pregnenolone 44
B Would I Benefit From Preg/dhea Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 5
N Ares Concentrace Mineral Drops Of Any Benefit? Minerals 0
W A Long-term Risk-benefit Analysis Of Low-dose Aspirin In Primary Prevention Aspirin 19
Queequeg Limited Benefit Of Aspirin For Prevention Of Cardiovascular Events And Cancer Aspirin 1
N Why Did Progesterone Show No Benefit In Stage III Clinical Trials For Traumatic Brain Injury? Progesterone 20
L Breast Cancer Patients Could Benefit From Controversial Hormone (Progesterone) Cancer 3
biggirlkisss I Need Studies Showing The Benefit Of Lowering Serotonin And A Explanation Of How Serotonin Works Fo Ask For Help or Advice 12
biggirlkisss Infared Wavelengths How Much Benefit Are There Ask For Help or Advice 1
D How To Benefit From Lapodin Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 5
A Why Do Some People Require Or Benefit From Huge Amounts Of Vitamin A? A 4
Suikerbuik Fish oils NO benefit for CAD. Scientific Studies 0
Blossom Omega 3 doesn't benefit the heart Political Talk, Alternative World Theories 1
J Fibre Glucose Benefit? Articles & Scientific Studies 0
P Another coke benefit Soda (Mexican Coke, Pepsi, etc.) 1
charlie "...benefit from antibiotics probably results from..." Ray Peat Quotes 0
B The Cider Vinegar Onions & Garlic HairLoss Guy Hair & Nails 1
berk Ex-patients After Corona: 'Rubbing In Vinegar Helped Me Through' Supplements 5
F H Pylori Eradicated With Senna And Vinegar? Ask For Help or Advice 2
L How Do Bicarbonate And Vinegar Neutralize Stenches? (Mechanism) Miscellaneous Health Discussions 0
Twohandsondeck Apple Cider Vinegar - Increases Nitric Oxide Science 5
milkboi Vinegar To Balance Out Excessive Alkalinity Ask For Help or Advice 12
A This Writing Says That Vinegar Can Be Harmful In The Long Term Ask For Help or Advice 16
Cameron Raw Carrot Olive Oil And Vinegar Killing My Gut Digestion 16
Inaut More Vinegar Please Toxins, Detoxification 6
L What Kind Of Vinegar Should Be Used For The Carrot Salad? Recipes 6
S Sweat Smells Like Vinegar Skin 1
M Apple Cider Vinegar And It's Dramatic Effect Ask For Help or Advice 24
A.R Vinegar Makes Me Hypothyroid Metabolism 13
P Expired(vinegar Smelling)aspirin Probably As Good Or Even Better Than Fresh Aspirin? Aspirin 5
Koveras Ulcerative Colitis May Be Treatable With Vinegar Scientific Studies 1
M Apple Cider Vinegar Supplements 5
uuy8778yyi boil potatoe in vinegar water to remove starch Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes, Ray Peat Potato Protein 4
A Strange Lifelong (since Toddler Age) Extreme Cravings For Vinegar - A Clue? Ask For Help or Advice 16
M Vinegar Smell Saliva Ask For Help or Advice 9
haidut Coconut Oil + Vinegar Or OJ = Potent Antibiotic Scientific Studies 12
A Thoughts on mixing baking soda with lemon, lime, vinegar? Sodium 1
B Vinegar In Plastic Bottle Or Metabisulfite In Glass? Diet, Recipes 2
M Yes, But What TYPE Of Vinegar Diet, Recipes 7
H Vinegar Diet 8
R I wrote a new post on the daily raw carrot... Diet 1
L Carrot salad before bed Diet 6