Carrot Salad With Shredded Coconut Meat

yerrag

Ray says when he ate coconut meat he got some gas. But he also says that coconut milk could be better than coconut oil because it contains sterols not found in coconut oil. Coconut oil is a processing step away from coconut milk, where the oil is extracted from the liquid (coconut milk)that comes out from coconut meat. The coconut meat is the inner meat lining of a mature coconut. It is usually grated with the shell intact into a fine short strands. These strands are pressed mechanically to produce coconut milk. These coconut strands can also be eaten, and is usually sprinkled on top of local sweets.

Not common is what I do with the coconut meat. I pry them from the shell, and with a sharp ceramic knife, I cut up the meat into coarser pieces. They are tougher than carrots.

Today, I thought of an idea. I mixed this coarse coconut meat with carrots and make them into a carrot salad, with apple cider vinegar, coconut nectar, and salt. I didn't need the coconut oil anymore.

I get the coconut oil and the sterols. I could also mix the coconut strands with the carrot salad. They'll be easier to chew for sure, and I may try that as well. It sure's tough with the coarse piece. But then, it may just be that a coarser piece leaves less room for endotoxins to develop in the gut. But it may be a non-issue to go with the coconut strands because coconut already contains antibiotic properties, and I'm having it with carrots just the same.

It's probably not practical to eat plenty of coconut meat, though, to get what I would find in say, 3 tbsp. of coconut oil. But I'm hoping what I can consume comfortably will provide me with some of the sterols and vitamin E that is present in coconut. This is the only way I could eat them raw, unheated, and unprocessed. I just wish though that I could find information on the vitamin E content on raw coconut meat.

I'll let you know later if I get gas or if I feel funny.

Coconut Food.jpg

Coconut Carrot Salad.jpg

Dave Clark

Thought I remember him saying to use the refined coconut oil and not the coconut meat because of allergenic possibilities in the coconut proteins, etc.? I could be wrong on that, thought I heard it in one of the KMUD podcasts.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

I misspoke about Ray Peat saying the coconut milk contains sterols. http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/coconut-oil.shtml has this:

As far as the evidence goes, it suggests that coconut oil, added regularly to a balanced diet, lowers cholesterol to normal by promoting its conversion into pregnenolone. (The coconut family contains steroids that resemble pregnenolone, but these are probably mostly removed when the fresh oil is washed with water to remove the enzymes which would digest the oil.)

I don't understand this statement about the fresh oil being washed with water to remove the enzymes. I just suppose the coconut milk then would contain the steroids, and the meat also would.

Thought I remember him saying to use the refined coconut oil and not the coconut meat because of allergenic possibilities in the coconut proteins, etc.? I could be wrong on that, thought I heard it in one of the KMUD podcasts.
I wouldn't doubt that possibility exists. I would experiment some more to see if I would experience an allergic reaction. Also, it's possible that the coconut meat could be contaminated, as the way coconut meat is grated, some contamination could occur. While I personally don't worry much about it, I would recommend just getting the whole mature coconut (a young mature one is better for softer flesh) and getting the meat. But it's not easy to find one if you're not in the tropics, and it still takes some effort to get it into the size I need. I've been doing this thing for a year, feeding my koi with them. Only now did I think to let my koi share the goodness with me.

Dave Clark

I love and eat coconut meat when I can get it, I also use coconut flour for baking, etc. I have no idea if I am allergic/sensitive to it, I suppose one would have to do those food allergy tests which some experts say can't be trusted. Also, people can tend to gain new food sensitivities, and lose old food sensitivities with age. I also use the virgin coconut oil because I like the taste of coconut, but I also use the refined when I don't want the coconut flavor. The only time I will give it up if somehow it is confirmed to be a problem food for me. If you believe in the blood type diet, my blood type, A, shouldn't be eating it from what I read, but most of the Peat foods are not good for a type A, again, if you believe in that.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

I went through the blood type diet, and mixed it up with my metabolic typing diet before. I didn't think blood typing made much of a difference, unlike the way I benefited from metabolic typing. Even so, I think if I applied Ray Peat then, I would have been just as helped as I was with metabolic typing. If I didn't want to know the "why my body works this way and how it can be made better," and just follow a doctor, metabolic typing would still be what I'd follow. Most people are on that mode, leaving all the thinking to an expert, no questions asked. But Ray Peat is not just about being healthy, it's about challenging myself to be more critical with my thinking.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

I have to say that it's not a pleasant experience chowing down on tough coconut meat. I only ate the coconut meat-carrot salad mix once.

Instead, I've shifted to using coconut milk instead. Last night, I drank a cow milk- coconut milk blend, 2/3 cow and 1/3 coconut, with sugar, salt, and gelatin. It tasted really good. Freshly-extracted coconut milk (from the coconut meat) tastes really good, and doesn't have the taste that fills you up quickly. It also doesn't have any preservatives, which I often find in cans.

I also put the freshly-extracted coconut milk into ice-cube trays, so that I can use them during the week when I make coffee. This keeps the coconut milk from degrading, as the taste would change when it does. I would first heat the cow's milk in a Capresso frother, and after the milk is heated up fully, I add the cubes of coconut milk into the heated cow's milk, to let the cubes melt. When it liquifies, I would run the mix once again in the Capresso frother. When frothed and heated, I add it to my brewed coffee. It actually tastes better than the cow's milk-coconut oil mix that I had been using prior to this.

I'm less worried about allergens with coconut milk, even though the coconut milk contains about 2-3% protein. I'm used to eating coco jam, which is a jam made from coconut milk and sugar, and I've never had any allergic reactions to it.

This morning I woke up with a higher temperature, and a much higher pulse rate. I've been waking up lately with a hypothyroid-like low temperature, and seeing the temperature go up from 35.0C a day before to 35.4C today is encouraging. Pulse also went up from 70 to 75. I'm going to see if I can see more improvements in the coming days.

I listened to one of Danny Roddy's interviews with haidut in Generative Energy, and haidut had mentioned of taking more fats with dinner, as the fats help slow down the digestion of sugar during the night, and helps with maintaining blood sugar levels. So having the coconut milk added to milk would help in this way. Of course, in and of itself coconut milk contains steroids which are absent from coconut oil, and probably aids my metabolism as well.

churchmouth

I think you are onto something with combining a bit of coconut meat with the carrot.

I abused coconut when I first got into Paleo, now I feel aversion to coconut milk and dessicated coconut especially. But I am able to find the meat tolerable.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Glad you're taking to the coconut meat well. It may be because you can't take large quantities of it with it being tough, and for that reason you're not getting as much coconut milk/oil from its content.

Is your aversion to coconut milk because you got tired of the taste? Or were you getting reactions from it?

churchmouth

I keep off the dark 'skin' that comes off with the attached flesh.. doesn't seem very digestible.

I think I really overdid it eating some product in Canada that is like solid coconut cream... straight. When I was low carb my body really was starving and making me eat wierd things. It's just an aversion I think because it made me feel like throwing up once.

Attachments

• 20180323_171928.jpg
    20180323_171928.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 13
OP
yerrag

yerrag

It's a good habit. On rare occasions you'll be able to find a mold spot between them that you would otherwise have ingested.
That's true. If the dark skin is still stuck to the flesh, there won't be molds. Before mold develops, the outer flesh will have turned soft and mushy, which is a sign of spoilage. I usually scrape off that outer flesh and the inner flesh that's firm I can still use. The dark skin is cellulose, I would venture to guess, so it's indigestible so it's better to remove.

Amazoniac

That's true. If the dark skin is still stuck to the flesh, there won't be molds. Before mold develops, the outer flesh will have turned soft and mushy, which is a sign of spoilage. I usually scrape off that outer flesh and the inner flesh that's firm I can still use. The dark skin is cellulose, I would venture to guess, so it's indigestible so it's better to remove.
I meant that some molds appear where they attach to each other despite both looking fine on the exterior.
I just want to let you know that I'm not intimidated by your OP band.

So the water is what comes out without pressing and milk with pressing?