Why Would Mushrooms Cause Loose Stools When Carrot Doesn't?

L

Lord Cola

I have been experimenting with cooked white button mushrooms (boiled for three hours) for about a month now. I replaced carrot salad (coconut oil, distilled white vinegar, salt, shredded and rinsed raw carrot) with mushrooms during this space of time.

After ruling out other potential causes, it seems almost certain to me that mushrooms are causing poor digestion and loose stools. My digestion was good when I was having carrot salad regularly. What about mushrooms might be causing poor digestion and loose stools? I want to make mushrooms work, because I experienced many benefits from mushrooms, in spite of the digestive issues that they seem to be causing, that I did not experience with carrots.

ebs

Is there a reason why you boiled the mushrooms for 3 hours? I regularly eat white button mushrooms but I cook them in a frying pan for just a couple of minutes.

Daft

Mushrooms are high in sorbitol - the same substance that causes prune juice to have its similar effect. You are likely sensitive to them, search fodmap diet and fodmap food list for more info. It's thought people have different tolerances for the different fodmaps. Those with I.B.S. tend to have lower tolerance levels for each, and sorbitol (a polyol sugar, hence the "P" in fodmap) tends to be one of the less well tolerated in general.

OP
L

Lord Cola

Is there a reason why you boiled the mushrooms for 3 hours? I regularly eat white button mushrooms but I cook them in a frying pan for just a couple of minutes.
White button mushrooms are supposed to have toxins that are destroyed by heat.

OP
L

Lord Cola

In case anyone might be interested, white button mushrooms seemed to be digested very well by whatever is in my gut. I think the loose stools and poor digestion that I thought were caused by mushrooms were caused by bacterial overgrowth that came to exist after I removed carrots (which were working very well as an antibiotic, despite other drawbacks) from my diet and replaced them with mushrooms, which turned out to be digestible for me, and so unable to act like an antibiotic.

I tried eating the mushrooms in a few ways, all after boiling them for two to three hours and grinding them up close to fine, by eating them unmixed with other foods, or mixed with milk (for finer consistency when blending) and salt, and/or mixed with coconut oil and salt. I tried each of these variations for at least a few days. By the end of my experimenting with mushrooms, I experienced moderate serotonin symptoms like anxiety, restlessness, and not wanting to act.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals