Orange Juice Carrot Salad - It Screams

< Rain

Well I've been trying ways to eat carrot salad. I don't like salad. Love cooked potatoes.
In my experiments I:

Added 1/4 cup Orange Juice w/ tablespoon White Sugar to the usual 2 tsp Coconut Oil and 2 tsp Vinegar.
And of course the shredded Carrot.

It is awesome - the citrus totally makes the salad soar in my palette.
I you don't eat salad - try it.

Nina

Great idea! Also, I think kids would like this much better.

Pet Peeve

Sounds good, but I think the point of the carrot is antibacterial. The sugar and the orange would defeat the purpose.

maybe not. Maybe the sugar is quickly absorbed near the top of the intestinal tract, leaving the carrot roughage to make its way through to the bowel to do its good.

Pet Peeve

Maybe you're right, but still I think this kind of fiber sucks up stuff and doesn't let it go to a degree. Thought it was the reason for adding vinegar and coconut oil. I tried throwing a can of mushrooms into a pan after frying a burger in it, the pan was completely clean after a couple of minutes, I imagine it's the same for carrot and bamboo shoots.

OP
< Rain

< Rain

I had the same concerns as above - however I decided if this is what it takes to eat carrots then I will make it taste good. I appreciate the feedback as it had me research further.
I found this interesting Peat quote on FPS:
"...Many people find that daily use of the raw carrot eliminates their PMS, headaches, or allergies. The use of oil and vinegar as dressing intensifies the bowel-cleansing effect of the salad. Coconut oil is more germicidal and thyroid promoting than olive oil, but a mixture of coconut and olive oil improves the flavor. Lime juice. salt, cheese and meats can be used to vary the flavor.”
Ray Peat, PhD on the Benefits of the Raw Carrot – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)

CrystalClear

I have heard Ray say it is better to have the carrot salad in between meals - preferably in the afternoon. ( He might change his mind now and then). And when talking about mushrooms - they're good because you can have them with other food. Which is why I have been doing mushrooms for a change - the raw grated carrot is harder to get down but I force myself LOL

OP
< Rain

< Rain

I have heard Ray say it is better to have the carrot salad in between meals - preferably in the afternoon. ( He might change his mind now and then). And when talking about mushrooms - they're good because you can have them with other food. Which is why I have been doing mushrooms for a change - the raw grated carrot is harder to get down but I force myself LOL
I like the mushroom idea better - w/melted cheese. Carrots will have to be 1 day a week max. - Thanks.

Syncopated

I add fresh raw cucumber to the carrot salad and basil with just a hint of brown sugar.

nikolabeacon

I make sweet Also . Maybe this recipe is problematic for someone But it is no bothering me. Shredded carrot, sugar, teaspoon of fresh sour milk, teaspoon of ex.virgin. coc. Oil. And touch of apple vinegar( optional). And pinch of salt. Amazing flavor.

sprinter

I have struggled with eating a carrot a day for years. I just despise it. If I plan to eat in afternoon, I am hungry by time I should eat it, and want a meal instead. What I've been doing is having it first thing in the morning along with some orange juice. Meaning, I'll drink some juice and have a bite of carrot and keep doing that. I have to drink the juice in morning to get some sugar in me and I figure I mind as well just get carrot out of the way. Is it really that bad to do it this way, mixing juice with carrot?

nikolabeacon

I have struggled with eating a carrot a day for years. I just despise it. If I plan to eat in afternoon, I am hungry by time I should eat it, and want a meal instead. What I've been doing is having it first thing in the morning along with some orange juice. Meaning, I'll drink some juice and have a bite of carrot and keep doing that. I have to drink the juice in morning to get some sugar in me and I figure I mind as well just get carrot out of the way. Is it really that bad to do it this way, mixing juice with carrot?
In QUOTE above Ray said that you can add other things to it. It is not good to have it with some larger nutritional meal. Try my version If you think it is not problem for your gut. I am amazed with flavor.

sprinter

In QUOTE above Ray said that you can add other things to it. It is not good to have it with some larger nutritional meal. Try my version If you think it is not problem for your gut. I am amazed with flavor.

Unfortunately, I am a very lazy person! You're recipe is too much work for me. I just want to eat this stupid carrot and drink my store bought juice alongside it.

Last edited:

HLP

Another idea. I make homemade orange marmalade after I'm finished squeezing fresh oranges, for juice. I slice up the rinds really thin and cover with water and dump quite a bit of sugar in. Boil this up and simmer for an hour. Cool and use a slotted spoon to fish out mostly the orange rind and mix with grated carrots, a sprinkle of salt and a few tablespoons of fresh milk. Sometimes I add a small spoon of red pepper jelly to spice it up too. Delicious.

L

lollipop

Another idea. I make homemade orange marmalade after I'm finished squeezing fresh oranges, for juice. I slice up the rinds really thin and cover with water and dump quite a bit of sugar in. Boil this up and simmer for an hour. Cool and use a slotted spoon to fish out mostly the orange rind and mix with grated carrots, a sprinkle of salt and a few tablespoons of fresh milk. Sometimes I add a small spoon of red pepper jelly to spice it up too. Delicious.
Great idea. Your version of marmalade seems sooo much easier :): How many rinds to how much sugar approximately?

HLP

Today I used six oranges minus what I juiced out of them. Covered with water and probably used a cup of sugar. I'm too lazy to measure. It will thicken up nicely and I've added some Great Lakes Gelatin (orange can) , maybe about one Tablespoon but it's completely optional but does add more nutrition. In the past I've also sliced up candied ginger to this recipe. I make it for the seniors lodge, since I have an abundance of orange peel to share.

L

lollipop

Today I used six oranges minus what I juiced out of them. Covered with water and probably used a cup of sugar. I'm too lazy to measure. It will thicken up nicely and I've added some Great Lakes Gelatin (orange can) , maybe about one Tablespoon but it's completely optional but does add more nutrition. In the past I've also sliced up candied ginger to this recipe. I make it for the seniors lodge, since I have an abundance of orange peel to share.
Sweeeetness. Thank you :):

Vajra

"...Many people find that daily use of the raw carrot eliminates their PMS, headaches, or allergies. The use of oil and vinegar as dressing intensifies the bowel-cleansing effect of the salad. Coconut oil is more germicidal and thyroid promoting than olive oil, but a mixture of coconut and olive oil improves the flavor. Lime juice. salt, cheese and meats can be used to vary the flavor.”
Ray Peat, PhD on the Benefits of the Raw Carrot – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)
This is a relief. Honestly I find both carrots and coconut oil pretty unpleasant tasting, and I thought you had to exclude any other food from the carrot salad.
Ditto. Hope that's not bad.