Is RP Philosophy Mainly Oriented To An Ill Public?

Drareg

I'll have to look around for them, but I wanted to clarify that it was studies posted on this forum, not by Peat himself, and I felt in some cases how the results were viewed (either positively or negatively), were being influenced by a desire to conform them to Peat's line of thinking. I love all the scientific studies posted here, and generally agree with their interpretation other than on a rare occasion.

It's important for dialogue to take place on studies posted, generally anything that has been questionable has been questioned,that's the importance of reading through entire threads as labouring as it can be.

I think both of you may be frustrated with new people posting on the forum with little knowledge currently,its understandable but important to remember it's a public forum trying to understand Peats articles and talks.
Both of you should respond to said posters with to the point answers, if you don't agree with the interpretation say something or do your fear being refuted?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I think we get a lot of people here who found Dr. Peat's work and are disappointed in mainstream health advice especially when it comes to thyroid. Like hypothyroidism not helped with T4 only or 'subclinical' hypothyroidism by medical standards that has gone untreated and people get tired of living that way.
There's also quite a few people trying to fix a crashed metabolism after following conventional dietary 'wisdom'.
Don't forget the people who want to stop or reverse hair loss.
It's almost a place of last resort in a sense when people are fed up with nothing else working.
I know we have a few people here who consider themselves biohackers like @thegiantess but I think more of our members seem to have a specific area they are looking to improve upon.

dbh25

I think thats the point. But thats far from the general forum mindset. Its something considered "approved" here going on 7-8 cups of coffee /day (bc RP does it), replacing sugar for starches with no point even if you always did right with starches, starting to drink quarts of cola-sodas.... and at the same time freaking out of having a handful of nuts becouse "pufas" when you always liked it as a snack (see "snack", not having a kg of them), or erradicating food sources like legumes becouse "phytoestrogen" when you may always have been perfectly hormonal balanced
Yes, thanks, this helps. I made some tweaks to my diet like adding in a little sugar to coffee and having some oj so I need to monitor if changes like this are beneficial for my situation.

Drareg

I read most on here that theres no "RP diet" but I see the general tone of the forum a "little too much" one-sided.

Pushing cherry-picked studies (if the study conclusion doesnt agree with our expectings > it may be some kind of pharma/industry interest or something flawed on methodology, if it agrees > "RP right again"), constant over-emphasizing on the most remote strategies to hit estrogen, serotonin, NO... at all cost, like pretending a permanent need for an ever less -or at least its what it appears-.. that, or presuming everyone here is ill. Is this general concept of RP oriented forum philosophy intended for an ill public?

Its like thinking anyone that hasn't been following all this guidelines will have excess estrogen, serotonin... etc. There are sometimes when I wonder about thisn when reading the forum.

I personally don't see RP perspective exclusively oriented to a specific health state, but for everyone; yet the individual approach from it will differ for different people and conditions. But its like the general forum mindset focuses only on the RP ill-applied protocol variant, where everyone will suffer from estrogen, serotonin, lack dht, is pufa poisoned, etc.

I say this because it can be an issue for someone new here who isn't in that scenario, but could get the impression he/she needs to follow that specific path intended here as an "unified RP universal protocol", when he just may be looking to learn minor things to apply to improve his lifestyle but wont have excess estrogen, serotonin...

Your title for the thread is misleading, you speak of the forum in your post not specifically Peat.

Overall Peat is trying to inform people on how a coherent organism works.

jaguar43

I think thats the point. But thats far from the general forum mindset. Its something considered "approved" here going on 7-8 cups of coffee /day (bc RP does it), replacing sugar for starches with no point even if you always did right with starches, starting to drink quarts of cola-sodas.... and at the same time freaking out of having a handful of nuts becouse "pufas" when you always liked it as a snack (see "snack", not having a kg of them), or erradicating food sources like legumes becouse "phytoestrogen" when you may always have been perfectly hormonal balanced.

It may seem exagerated, but looks like this is what RP philosophy has become on this forum, what it has been reduced to, what is left from aaaall his GREAT work.

thats an interesting point. I think Brad and Jermey have stated that when they interview Ray Peat for their documentary, he said that a persons diet would depend on a lot of factors like where you live and your income. Some people take things to far ( including myself at times). instead of incorporating Peat's recommendations into their life they incorporate their life into Peat's recommendations.

I think his most interesting work is his "non-nutritional" ideas. His insights into philosophy and other academic ideas are interesting.

Tarmander

If your looking to hang out with enlightened people, the ashram is going to be disappointing.

Peater Piper

It's important for dialogue to take place on studies posted, generally anything that has been questionable has been questioned,that's the importance of reading through entire threads as labouring as it can be.

I think both of you may be frustrated with new people posting on the forum with little knowledge currently,its understandable but important to remember it's a public forum trying to understand Peats articles and talks.
Both of you should respond to said posters with to the point answers, if you don't agree with the interpretation say something or do your fear being refuted?
I definitely don't have an issue with new people trying to learn. I still consider myself in that group.

On a few occasions, I have questioned the interpretations of studies, with varying results. I can recall a few occasions, but I'd rather not mention them specifically as I don't want it to seem like I'm attacking anyone. Often, I do keep quiet, as I don't feel knowledgeable enough to comment on most things, but I'll try to be more forthcoming in the future.

jaguar43

I definitely don't have an issue with new people trying to learn. I still consider myself in that group.

On a few occasions, I have questioned the interpretations of studies, with varying results. I can recall a few occasions, but I'd rather not mention them specifically as I don't want it to seem like I'm attacking anyone. Often, I do keep quiet, as I don't feel knowledgeable enough to comment on most things, but I'll try to be more forthcoming in the future.

Why do you feel like your attacking someone if you questioned their interpretation of a study or scientific paper ? Being critical of certain opinions shouldn't be taken as an "attack" on the forum.

Last edited:

Tarmander

As long as your adding value, even if it's anecdotal, it will be appreciated.

Peatish Ninja

When applying a "nutritional regime/diet", always have the mind in mind (akin to Peat's view on exercise).

judge

I also wonder if part of the OP's thoughts about sick people might be in some way true. Why would a normally healthy person ever search for something more or new, other than the rare soul who is seriously curious?

Suffering is often the catalyst for change. Change means seeking, searching, experimenting and someone with an open mind will find Ray Peat. Closed minded folks seem to not find him or if they do, reject him immediately.

Kyle M's remark above sort of points this out.

I agree! healthy young people could care less about this stuff! LOL but for us older and/or less healthy folks, it is all about trying something different. If what your doing now is making you worse, change it up! In the end we are responsible for our own health no matter whose advice we follow. Of course don't say that to a fricken low life bottom feeding money grubbing lawyer! LOL

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals