Troubleshooting Manual, When "RP Diet" Doesn't Seem To Work As Expected?

m_arch

And without the vitamin A is your acne extreme or only mild? Is the cholesterol necessary with the vitamin A to work properly?
It was extreme very early for me, around age 13. After accutaine it was never as extreme (I went through a few rounds), but enough to bother me. And it had the ability to get worse (usually from a bad diet). I'm 24 now so you have to consider that too.

Cholesterol, vitamin a and t3 work together to synthesie steroids. Do you need cholesterol? I think thats an individual question. If you have labs done and they show high cholesterol - you probably don't need more, your issue is most likely conversion. Aka low t3 / hypothyroidism or lack of a.

Context is king, but I can tell you my cholesterol labs were low, at least by danny roddys standard.

B

Braveheart

@scarlettsmum: what's "wapf"? I just can't figure that one out.

Well, here's the thing. I thought that, too. That I loved fat too much to give it up. Turns out, I don't. Once I got beyond the craving, I seemed to become a take it or leave it kinda girl. I actually had one (1!) piece of bacon today, and that's all I wanted. Ate it, enjoyed it, and immediately forgot about lusting after more. I can count on my right thumb the number of times *that* has ever happened in my life. ;) Because, mmmmmm, bacon. :lol:

That is not to contradict what I said above about living on heavy cream and fatty cheese if I could...I would. And bacon! Don't forget that! :lol: But I can't live on that. High fat/high protein/lo carb helped ruin my health. And now that I've moved beyond the psychological need for fat with almost everything I ingest, I just don't miss it. Most stuff is fine and tasty without it. Or at least, without that heavy amount of it that I always used to require. Does that make sense?

Peat and others (myself included, before I ever even heard of Peat) have theorized there's an addiction mechanism going on with PUFA. But I think there's an addiction mechanism with *all* fat, at least if there is PUFA in the diet or if there's a PUFA load in the body. Something keeps us hooked into it, even if we move to eating only good saturated fat. The fat craving may have something to do with the body attempting to compensate for an underlying lack of energy, but that's just a guess on my part since the body often craves what it's lacking, and if we're used to not oxidizing carbs/sugar properly we'll oxidize fat instead. But I'm definitely not the brightest light on the tree when it comes to elucidating biochemical mechanisms, or sci-babble. IME it seems to be a compensation for at least some of us, anyway.

If you can break that craving for fat by (again, this is a theory) by shifting the body over to a carb-burning metabolism by eliminating fat almost completely, the compulsion to eat it seems to leave. Anecdotally, this seems to be what happens in more people than just me after they go very low fat. Doesn't seem to matter too much if you're shifting to very low fat starch or very low fat fructose/sugar, either. Seems to be all about the fat.

Gut health may also play into the craving for fat and how hard it is to shift to very low fat. Bad bacteria may help drive cravings. Micronutrient deficiencies might play a part, as well. I had to get all these things sorted to get where I am today, which was kind of a long, hard road. I will say that if I had it to do over again, with the benefit of hindsight, some version of very low fat would be where I would start. If it didn't work, I'd tweak the amount of fat to the minimum necessary to make me feel better, and work from there.

Right On! my experience exactly...all you've said is true and should be helpful to others...the fat craving leaves you....and you then enjoy all the health benefits of low fat.