Is fortified wheat that big of a deal?

yerrag

Einkorn is the original wheat. I think there are many samples show its been unchanged for thousands of years. If I remember correctly, Einkorn was in the carrying pouch and undigested stomach contents of Itzhi? The frozen human that thawed out in the Italian Alps 150,000 yrs old? Einkorn.
So, its a shorter plant. Less yield compared to gmo'd so not many growers. A family in Italy the Bartoluccis grow with

I was trying to avoid saying buttery, but it is soft and warm tasting. The fine milled flour bakes soft like winter white wheats.It is about the same weight as red winter wheat in a final product, but of course that depends on the grind used. Heres what I do and a recipe to try:
After buying berries online to grind myself, I also keep the Jovial flour and mix the two equally.
Einkorn Easy Pastry Dough
Meat pies, baked plain with cinnamon and sugar, baked savory crackers(added shredded cheese, herbs, etc) fruit pies, layered tarts of all kinds, and my fave sweet potato pie and buttermilk pie. Yummy.
Have 2 eggs and a stick of butter (half cup) at room temp
Have a sheet of cling wrap spread out on the counter to put dough on to refrigerate.
Put 2 cups of flour on a clean countertop.
Add to that pile 1/4 tsp fine salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup sugar unless for savory bake, then just a tsp
Zest of a half lemon (optional but so good)
Using clean hand, swirl the dry ingreds to mix, make a well in the center and crack eggs in it, beat with a fork. Dump butter on top and start squeezing the egg butter and flour to combine, 2 minutes. Rub hands together to shag off remaining bits of dough using more flour as needed. Sometimes if it seems dry, I just sprinkle water over the whole mess until its a ball and I can use a spatula to clean the cabinet and end up with a doughball to flatten onto the cling wrap. Refrigerate at least 30mins,this lets the Einkorn absorb the fat and liquid.
You can roll this out or pat it into a pan, to whatever thickness you like for whatever your purpose. For pies, I put it in a med hot oven for 8 minutes and then take it out and pour in the fillings and set for the bake. I really dislike soggy crusts.
So quiche and buttermilk pies I bake about 325 degrees because lotsa eggs; fruit pies, meat pies 350. Plain sugared or cracker type munchies I watch carefully at 350.
this is a hefty recipe for a 10 inch tart pan with leftovers to bake cinnamon cookies, or divide however you wish see pics.
I see a chicken pot pie in your future!
I was gonna try to make this, but I just got bogged down reviving my desktop PC that crashed again. It took a while, would you believe a week, to go thru it, a nightmare. That was my first week for 2023 lol. But now all is good. Lesson learned. My architect uncle would say "The last home an architect would remodel is his own home." I used to know how to put a PC together, and maintain it. For others. But for myself, I was fast and loose.

I just need to have a nice podcast and listen to it while I do some kitchen stuff. and I'll be good to go. I hate to say it, but I couldn't just get the zen of cooking or baking without a podcast to distract me from thinking about things that would distract me from baking. And it's been a long time since I've done it, and that was with my breadmaker lol.

Thanks for the recipe. I will get to it after I am done with my biscotti, which I had been wanting to make. The almonds in the fridge must be stale, and I wonder if I should throw them out after 3 years of waiting for me to use them.

I am sure I will love the Einkorn bread. I made pancakes from winter wheat grains that I would mill myself. The grain mill, a Jupiter from Germany, doesn't make as fine a grind and so the pancakes come out as very organic, rough at the edges. But I like them with the maple syrup and butter. But it's not for everyone, as my nephew can't bring himself to finish one. He of unrefinied tastes lol. I miss some of the restos in Tao, New Mexico. A town of non-starving artists, and I think they will like my pancakes haha.

On another note, I can't grind eggshells using this burr grinder. Do you know the trick to it? Should I mix some white sugar with the eggshells and grind? As I did that to my manual pepper grinder, and the stuck piece of pepper become undone, and I got my pepper mill back to work.

akgrrrl

I was gonna try to make this, but I just got bogged down reviving my desktop PC that crashed again. It took a while, would you believe a week, to go thru it, a nightmare. That was my first week for 2023 lol. But now all is good. Lesson learned. My architect uncle would say "The last home an architect would remodel is his own home." I used to know how to put a PC together, and maintain it. For others. But for myself, I was fast and loose.

I just need to have a nice podcast and listen to it while I do some kitchen stuff. and I'll be good to go. I hate to say it, but I couldn't just get the zen of cooking or baking without a podcast to distract me from thinking about things that would distract me from baking. And it's been a long time since I've done it, and that was with my breadmaker

On another note, I can't grind eggshells using this burr grinder. Do you know the trick to it? Should I mix some white sugar with the eggshells and grind? As I did that to my manual pepper grinder, and the stuck piece of pepper become undone, and I got my pepper mill back to work.
You are so enterprising! If your almonds have been in the fridge, we can hope they arent rancid, but for future freezer is best. Toast them in a skillet for a few minutes and sniffvthem. Rancid nuts and grains dont stand up to a little heat, so if it tastes off or smells off, toss 'em.
On the eggshells, you have to boil them gently for 8 mins, drain, then spread on a cookie sheet and dry them out thoroughly in a low heat oven, THEN your coffee grinder will make short work of them. I apologize for the reply delay, I also got engaged in a frustrating home project☹
Heres my eggshell calcium jar
I have the easiest biscotti recipe ever, every measurement is a "1/2" so easy to remember half einkorn half almond flour with anise and almond extracts just divine keeps for weeks, let me know if that sounds interesting. Eating well is the best revenge in a clown world!

Attachments

• 20230116_194824.jpg
    20230116_194824.jpg
    396 KB · Views: 10

yerrag

You are so enterprising! If your almonds have been in the fridge, we can hope they arent rancid, but for future freezer is best. Toast them in a skillet for a few minutes and sniffvthem. Rancid nuts and grains dont stand up to a little heat, so if it tastes off or smells off, toss 'em.
On the eggshells, you have to boil them gently for 8 mins, drain, then spread on a cookie sheet and dry them out thoroughly in a low heat oven, THEN your coffee grinder will make short work of them. I apologize for the reply delay, I also got engaged in a frustrating home project☹
Heres my eggshell calcium jar
I have the easiest biscotti recipe ever, every measurement is a "1/2" so easy to remember half einkorn half almond flour with anise and almond extracts just divine keeps for weeks, let me know if that sounds interesting. Eating well is the best revenge in a clown world!
I'm gonna try toasting the slivered almonds. Had I known I was going to hold on to the almonds that long, I would put them in the freezer. But it's like I'm gonna get around to doing it, and so they sat in the fridge for years. I thought seeing them. in the fridge would remind me, but then I kept saying when I get time free I will do it. But then there are just too many little things, and I count myself to be one of the lucky ones not living a life of quiet desperation lol.

The biscotti recipe sure sounds simple enough, and that's the way I like it. Thanks.

cremes

I've seen the Mockmill flour mills that can be added as an attachment to your kitchen-aid and other models that can be used standalone. Does anyone have a recommendation for a manual ***t-has-hit-the-fan flour mill that can be used in a power outage situation?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals