Instant Coffee Options in Australia

O

Omen

For the past 5 years I've been drinking Nature's Cuppa organic instant coffee and recently had a jar that tasted different and bloated me.

Not sure if I was unlucky and purchased a bad batch but would like to have a backup in mind if they have changed their source and I can no longer drink it.

I have a really sensitive stomach and have tried Coles organic and Replublica but they also didn't agree with me so hoping some fellow Australians can share some good options.

I prefer instant for simplicity but am open to other options.

AlaskaJono

Basically these companies buy the cheapest beans, green or roasted, to make more profit. Coffee bean prices have risen, transport costs, etc.. And bad coffee is , well, bad. I roast my own beans and have done so for 18 years, and prices for green beans have risen 50-100% for the great green beans. Sh+Te beans are still about 4 or 5$ kg. And the demand for these is slowly driving that price up! Anyhow, my advice, is find roasted coffee you like and make a cold brew infusion weekly, keep in the fridge, and use when you want. Look up coffee cold brew recipe, etc.. You don't need to buy all that equipment, but you can if you want. Basically just need a big container to 'brew' or steep the coffee in water, and after 12-24 hours then filter or strainer into a jar with a lid. It is that easy. Depending on the recipe you will have to add some water as you have made a strong extract. This allows for a smaller container to keep in fridge. Then add water and heat and drink.

Or just buy a press pot. Etc.. I;m in Tas by the way, and mostly I am not happy to have an espresso or coffee out. It is shite. Don't be fooled by the "Dark Arts' of the millennial bean whisperers. Or mid aged ones either. Where you at? Cheers.

GTW

An Aussie friend from Cooma visits me yearly. He's hooked on Vietnamese coffee. Not the concoction with cream and sugar but the "butter roast" beans. Trung Nguyen is one brand, apparently they built a plant just for their new process instant.

OP
O

Omen

Basically these companies buy the cheapest beans, green or roasted, to make more profit. Coffee bean prices have risen, transport costs, etc.. And bad coffee is , well, bad. I roast my own beans and have done so for 18 years, and prices for green beans have risen 50-100% for the great green beans. Sh+Te beans are still about 4 or 5$ kg. And the demand for these is slowly driving that price up! Anyhow, my advice, is find roasted coffee you like and make a cold brew infusion weekly, keep in the fridge, and use when you want. Look up coffee cold brew recipe, etc.. You don't need to buy all that equipment, but you can if you want. Basically just need a big container to 'brew' or steep the coffee in water, and after 12-24 hours then filter or strainer into a jar with a lid. It is that easy. Depending on the recipe you will have to add some water as you have made a strong extract. This allows for a smaller container to keep in fridge. Then add water and heat and drink.

Or just buy a press pot. Etc.. I;m in Tas by the way, and mostly I am not happy to have an espresso or coffee out. It is shite. Don't be fooled by the "Dark Arts' of the millennial bean whisperers. Or mid aged ones either. Where you at? Cheers.
It's just bizarre that I've had no issues with this brand for so long and now all of a sudden it's messing with my gut and it comes just after they raised the price. I emailed them and asked if they had made any changes and they claim no but my gut doesn't lie as I'm very sensitive and nothing else has changed in my diet and this happens repeatedly after consuming it now and have tried different jars from different stores to test if it was a batch issue and doesn't seem to be the case.

I'm in Melbourne and I've been considering testing cold brew.

Do you think it might be worth trying these brands? They are a lot more expensive but maybe they are still sourcing good beans.

If I don't have success with any other instant I'll make the switch to getting my own beans. The only reason I'm not quick to make the switch is I've come across many cases where others have only tolerated instant even after trying different beans/brewing methods.

OP
O

Omen

If I went the route of roasting my own beans, what do you think about using this setup?

I believe this has everything to get started. Do you think this is reasonably priced?

Thanks for your time.

AlaskaJono

If I went the route of roasting my own beans, what do you think about using this setup?

I believe this has everything to get started. Do you think this is reasonably priced?

Thanks for your time.
Hi Omen, wow, looks very cool, and I like the paperless Kona filter. I am using a Skerton just like this one, and it is great for a simple set up. And Japanese precision ceramic burrs. I am mobile now so it is small and light. I actually own some Professional Coffee stuff, but is in storage. A Mazzer Super Jolly Grinder that will outlast my grandkids, and an espresso machine. But... the Skerton is pretty bloody good. I grind for about 4 minutes to get about 50 gm of course coffee every morning, for my wife and I. For courser grounds it is a tiny bit wobbly, but overall I am satisfied. The grinder was about 75$ 5 years ago. Will last for years.

The Chemex looks awesome. I am poor now, but at 239$ it is a thing of beauty, and totally functional. It looks like a pourover set up, so you must take the hot kettle and pour slowly around the cone. Check it out on the net or at a shop before you buy if you can. Then you will know that you can live with this for years. For me the French Press Pot or Plunger is easy, and my #1 priority is roasting my own beans. But there must be a roaster or 3 within 500 metres of you as you are in Melbourne!!! At least you have a myriad of choices.

I recommended the Cold Brew option as once you make it, then it is done for the next 5 days or so as an extract. So it is easy as after the initial 'production'. But pourover works! Paper filters may remove some elements in the oils which can help folks to enjoy coffee more. See how you go, and let us know. Cheers.

Herbie

I'm lazy and used to buy instant and just buy a litre of milk, drink some then poor instant and sugar in and shake it up and drink it, now I just buy 3 flat whites from anywhere even McDonald's, my opinion is that the flat white is the best coffee.

Coles used to sell a coles brand organic instant which was from europe. Compared to Europe, instant in Australia is foul.

Vileplume

Maybe they switched from Robusta to Arabica beans? The two bean types have different acidity, lipid, and sugar profiles.

Arabica irritates my intestines and makes me bloated. I’d like to try robusta.

GTW

I have been roasting coffee for 5 years. I bought a US$65 roaster, like a air popper for corn but screens on top so chaff from "natural" unwashed beans doesn't fly away.
After brief learning curve it is great.
Robusta as a part of typical VN butter roast coffee or Italian espresso is good in my experience. Gives a satisfying fullness/pleasant bitterness. (Not everyone appreciates)
However, Robusta is stronger in caffeine and maybe pro-inflammatory effects.
Brewing gadgets are wasted time and money IMO. Cowboy or Turkish method is my favorite. I have French press, Moka, pour-over with filters, espresso machine. I rarely use any. Occasionally I retry alternatives but only to confirm the unconstructive bother.
A big factor with most coffee is water quality/minerals.

OP
O

Omen

I'm lazy and used to buy instant and just buy a litre of milk, drink some then poor instant and sugar in and shake it up and drink it, now I just buy 3 flat whites from anywhere even McDonald's, my opinion is that the flat white is the best coffee.

Coles used to sell a coles brand organic instant which was from europe. Compared to Europe, instant in Australia is foul.
My stomach is extremely sensitive so dairy is a no-go right now. I literally rely on digestive enzymes as well as coffee just to make sure my stomach stays moving.

Pretty much got no sleep last night from experimenting with a different brand. I am tempted to try an espresso from a coffee shop just to see how it sits but in the past they've always tasted burnt and bitter. I tried the Coles organic and unfortunately it causes problems, would have been nice if it worked since it is cheap but yeah instant coffee in Australia and NZ is really bad. This brand was the only one I could tolerate...

OP
O

Omen

It was always arabica, not sure if I have ever tried robusta coffee but I can try and source some. I always thought arabica was safer.

Frustrating that this has occurred as I just had a year of awful health and things started stabilizing and improving after adding digestive enzymes but now I'm just inflammed and my stomach isn't moving. Unfortunately without coffee I literally can't digest food properly so I need to figure out what I can tolerate.
Maybe they switched from Robusta to Arabica beans? The two bean types have different acidity, lipid, and sugar profiles.

Arabica irritates my intestines and makes me bloated. I’d like to try robusta

OP
O

Omen

I have been roasting coffee for 5 years. I bought a US$65 roaster, like a air popper for corn but screens on top so chaff from "natural" unwashed beans doesn't fly away.
After brief learning curve it is great.
Robusta as a part of typical VN butter roast coffee or Italian espresso is good in my experience. Gives a satisfying fullness/pleasant bitterness. (Not everyone appreciates)
However, Robusta is stronger in caffeine and maybe pro-inflammatory effects.
Brewing gadgets are wasted time and money IMO. Cowboy or Turkish method is my favorite. I have French press, Moka, pour-over with filters, espresso machine. I rarely use any. Occasionally I retry alternatives but only to confirm the unconstructive bother.
A big factor with most coffee is water quality/minerals.
Sounds interesting. Can you provide a link? It really is looking like I'm going to have to make my own coffee.

I always liked instant for the simplicity and usually I could always make it taste good. Reserving specialty coffee for going out. I think simpler is better.

Vileplume

It was always arabica, not sure if I have ever tried robusta coffee but I can try and source some. I always thought arabica was safer.

Frustrating that this has occurred as I just had a year of awful health and things started stabilizing and improving after adding digestive enzymes but now I'm just inflammed and my stomach isn't moving. Unfortunately without coffee I literally can't digest food properly so I need to figure out what I can tolerate.
I am curious what it is about coffee that causes the bloating. Robusta has less sugars, lipids, and acids than arabica—so if one of those things is the irritating agent, robusta might be better.

Whatever it is, please report back if you figure it out (I’ll do the same). Coffee makes me bloated too and I’d love to be able to tolerate it. I’ve tried many many brands and they all have that effect on me. Never tried roasting my own though, and lighter roasts seem better than dark roasts.

Herbie

My stomach is extremely sensitive so dairy is a no-go right now. I literally rely on digestive enzymes as well as coffee just to make sure my stomach stays moving.

Pretty much got no sleep last night from experimenting with a different brand. I am tempted to try an espresso from a coffee shop just to see how it sits but in the past they've always tasted burnt and bitter. I tried the Coles organic and unfortunately it causes problems, would have been nice if it worked since it is cheap but yeah instant coffee in Australia and NZ is really bad. This brand was the only one I could tolerate...
Coles and woolworths sell this cold drip in glass bottle from Melbourne, it's nice.

Have you ever concidered taking cyproheptadine for your gut issues? It's over the counter here.

GTW

Sounds interesting. Can you provide a link? It really is looking like I'm going to have to make my own coffee.

I always liked instant for the simplicity and usually I could always make it taste good. Reserving specialty coffee for going out. I think simpler is better.
Link?
Re cheap coffee roasters, the one I bought was discontinued and recalled because of fire hazard. I had used it for several years without problems; I kept mine. The chaff screens become obstructed with oils after 15-20 roasts and instructions were to clean them in warm dish water/detergent. I figure the fire hazard was from not cleaning.
You can find YouTube videos about using particular air popper models to roast coffee. Or pan style corn poppers that stir the beans.
Re Vietnamese coffee, with or without cream you might find them easy on the stomach. Trung Nguyen is the leading brand. The beans are roasted after light coating with butter and sugar. This is a matter of fact not disclosed on the labels.
About Robusta vs Arabica, there is huge variation within each species plus differences resulting from terrain. The bottom line is how each affects you, not any mechanistic-reductionist analysis.
Similarly for minerals in the coffee brew water. You might not totally predict the effects of different water but if you know how the water is different you can note the effects. My sister and nephew insisted on using distilled water for everything. Their well water tastes delicious to me, like my own. A Canadian coffee, PC brand Ethiopia, tastes superb brewed with distilled water. Convinced me to buy a water still. Unfortunately no other coffee brewed with distilled water lived up to the promise?! Municipal water is likely to give bad results.

Vileplume

Whatever the problematic compound is in coffee for sensitive people who struggle to digest it, tea doesn’t seem to have it.

I can drink black tea all day without any of the negative symptoms I get from coffee: major bloating, cold hands, and anxiety. If it’s not the caffeine, it must be something unique to the bean or roasting process.

GTW

We sin by omission as well as by commission. Marcus Aurelius
EGCG and Theanine in tea may counteract and moderate the caffeine adverse effects. Terpenoids in coffee such as cafestol and kahweol may have adverse effects for some.
Theanine from tea is taken with coffee to moderate effects. Theanine counters sympathetic/adrenergic agonists.

teds

Forum Supporter
For the past 5 years I've been drinking Nature's Cuppa organic instant coffee and recently had a jar that tasted different and bloated me.

Not sure if I was unlucky and purchased a bad batch but would like to have a backup in mind if they have changed their source and I can no longer drink it.

I have a really sensitive stomach and have tried Coles organic and Replublica but they also didn't agree with me so hoping some fellow Australians can share some good options.

I prefer instant for simplicity but am open to other options.
Hi omen- ok so editing bc I just read the bit where it’s about simplicity. Personally when I use instant coffee (I use four sigmatic instants when I’m travelling sometimes) and the coffee isn’t anywhere near as good but still tasty enough- I think of it as ‘camp coffee’ style. There’s also LayDay which you’d need to order online from nsw (I think)- these options aren’t cheap though. It works out to a couole
Of dollars per serve so it’s convenient but not necessarily cheap.
It you don’t want to grind your coffee fresh then most of the roasters here will grind the beans for you for whatever brewing style you choose.
SIMPLE is the Frenchpress/plunger. I mean, it would be a 5 min wait I guess from pour to ready. You’d just need to get them to grind it specifically for that. If you don’t have roasters near you then Allpress coffee would be a reliable option. Good luck!
View: https://youtu.be/w3A_Z1J78HY

Last edited:

AlaskaJono

Great thread ;-) Important because.....coffee!

Re upset GI symptoms from coffee or instant coffee: Acidity is a major factor in digestibility and taste. Cold brew style is way low in acid vs drip/ french press etc. Also one doesn’t really need a fancy setup- just a big container to brew in and a filter / strainer to get the coffee liquid at the finish. Espresso is probably next lowest acid because less time extracting coffee. Different varieties of beans have different levels of acidity amd caffeine as well.

Coffee bean production via washed/dry process/pulp ferment etc., all produce different end products. As in Very different taste and acidity. Instant coffee processing is another factor in the final product. Misses out on some aromas and subtlety....

Water quality is such a huge factor, which I forget as we are and have been on tank/rainwater. Filtered or quality water is important for coffee tea making,

OP
O

Omen

Hi omen- ok so editing bc I just read the bit where it’s about simplicity. Personally when I use instant coffee (I use four sigmatic instants when I’m travelling sometimes) and the coffee isn’t anywhere near as good but still tasty enough- I think of it as ‘camp coffee’ style. There’s also LayDay which you’d need to order online from nsw (I think)- these options aren’t cheap though. It works out to a couole
Of dollars per serve so it’s convenient but not necessarily cheap.
It you don’t want to grind your coffee fresh then most of the roasters here will grind the beans for you for whatever brewing style you choose.
SIMPLE is the Frenchpress/plunger. I mean, it would be a 5 min wait I guess from pour to ready. You’d just need to get them to grind it specifically for that. If you don’t have roasters near you then Allpress coffee would be a reliable option. Good luck!
View: https://youtu.be/w3A_Z1J78HY

Thank you for all the information, I appreciate it. French press is going to be the first method I experiment with.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals