Implementing Low-fat Diet And Needing Advice

OP
D

DanielleB

Well..... um all your symptoms are the same that happened with low progesterone in relation to your estrogen. You might think that your symptoms are hypothyroid but Hashimotos or hyperthroid you can have the same ( even weight gain because your cortisol goes high. Adding in progesterone is cheap and easy if you are not able to afford testing. Also you might want to know where your iron and ferritin is as well. There are a lot of online testing labs that can give you are hormone panel. My last opinion on this ( your'e welcome ) is to check your hormones. Based on your age , that is when they really change. What worked for you in your 20s or 30s is not the same in your 40s.

I'm not sure where you are getting that I'm old enough to be in my 40's... I posted I was 29...not 39

D

danishispsychic

oops- sorry, my bad. must have read that wrong. anyway- try progestelle or progest -e

OP
D

DanielleB

oops- sorry, my bad. must have read that wrong. anyway- try progestelle or progest -e

No worries. I have no idea when to take the progesterone, how much, or any of that jazz. Plus, does it just affect as a bandaid of sorts that corrects the hormonal issues while taking it but once you stop, the issues come back?

D

danishispsychic

best
No worries. I have no idea when to take the progesterone, how much, or any of that jazz. Plus, does it just affect as a bandaid of sorts that corrects the hormonal issues while taking it but once you stop, the issues come back?

Dr Peat has a lot of article on the Progesterone online- also some you tube video interviews . It really is worth to really study his work , and especially the stuff about hormones, particularly Progesterone . It not a band aid , no.

Hugh Johnson

I appreciate the reply. I guess I say "ironic" because there have been several threads that have mentioned the benefit of weight lifting to increase BMR. I do feel the exercise should be toned down a bit. I did a 45 minute leg day work out yesterday and my temps and energy have suffered for it today significantly.

Any thoughts to the TSH reading low?
I'm a young man in better health than you and lifting 45 minutes five days a week would break me.

You train way too much. In your state of health twice a week for 30 minutes with plenty in periworkout carbs would be closer to what you can manage.

Lifting can increase bmr but that requires you that recover from the exercise. Now you are killing yourself with overtraining.

Last edited:

nwo2012

The training is definitely too much for you in this current hypothyroid/stressed state. It is acting as an extra stressor. Train only twice a week. Only compound movements. Day 1 Squat, Deadlift and Hang Cleans. Warm up and work up to only 2 working sets, 6-8 reps. Day 2 Bench Press, Military Press and Pullups (or Pulldowns if not strong enough).
Should take no more than 25 mins per session and it more than halves your total workout time. I have had many hard-gainers over the years gain muscle and strength from this very program and recovery is quick.

nwo2012

I'm a young man in better health than you and lifting 45 minutes five days a week would break me.

You train way too much. In your state of health twice a week for 30 minutes with plenty in periworkout carbs would be closer to what you can manage.

Lifting can increase bmr but that requires you that recover from the exercise. Now you are killing yourself with overtraining.

Ha I posted without even reading past 1st page of thread. Great minds think alike!

nwo2012

WIth a TSH like that I doubt you are hypo- sounds more like you are low in progesterone- to me it would help to see your cortisol and hormone levels in general. My guess is low progesterone, estro dominance , and you might research fats and their effects on female hormones. As for the 20 shrimp you are eating = if you have hashimotos at all.... then that is too much iodine, IMO. I would really re think it in terms of : female hormone balance /perimenopause.... iodine overload possibly making your possible hashimotos worse, and the very low fat might have worked for you before when your hormones were different but now it might actually be hindering your balance. Alsoyou might want to test that TSH a lot to see if it bounces around a bit. Your TSH to me seems almost hyperthyroid.

Not true, though that is the medical way of thinking about things. Sometimes the hypothyroid state is such that even some pituitary hormones are very low. There is no such state as hyperthyroidism, it is just a transitional state.
But you are probably spot on with the suggestion on sex hormones.

D

danishispsychic

Not true, though that is the medical way of thinking about things. Sometimes the hypothyroid state is such that even some pituitary hormones are very low. There is no such state as hyperthyroidism, it is just a transitional state.
But you are probably spot on with the suggestion on sex hormones.
oh wow! interesting. I will research that .. xx

MissRed

you could easily gain strength doing nothing more than singles.
ie. Squat... 3 reps very light, increase weight on bar x amount do 1 rep and rest
increase again x amount 1 rep and rest
repeat this to where set 5 is an attempt at your 1 rep max
low stress, make you strong like bull, done in 15 min or less.
Even if you NEVER EVER approach your 1 rep max on a given day for set 5 you'll still gain regardless
ZERO reason for "leg day" or any other workout to ruin you
Jits, I am reading every word. I will go now and see if I can search on "singles" but I am not confident my search will reveal much. Is this technique expounded on further anywhere? I am recovering from some severe injuries and want to get back to lifting and this approach would really help me not do too much too soon (or ever). I'm guessing your typical aerobic exercise is out of the question? Yoga and stretching too?
Thank you all so much for sharing your thoughts and what has worked for you. In am also intrigued by the VLD eating plan. Coming from the low carb discipline I have a real problem believing in it but hey, I have no data for myself that it doesnt work. The thought of drinking quarts of milk and orange juice is making my blood sugar go crazy tho. :D I need to search here for the VLF plan if one exists. I didnt see on on the raypeat site but havent searched here.
Much research ahead of me. If anyone can point me to salient links, I would be much obliged. Feel really grateful I found this group.

jitsmonkey

Jits, I am reading every word. I will go now and see if I can search on "singles" but I am not confident my search will reveal much. Is this technique expounded on further anywhere? I am recovering from some severe injuries and want to get back to lifting and this approach would really help me not do too much too soon (or ever). I'm guessing your typical aerobic exercise is out of the question? Yoga and stretching too?
Thank you all so much for sharing your thoughts and what has worked for you. In am also intrigued by the VLD eating plan. Coming from the low carb discipline I have a real problem believing in it but hey, I have no data for myself that it doesnt work. The thought of drinking quarts of milk and orange juice is making my blood sugar go crazy tho. :D I need to search here for the VLF plan if one exists. I didnt see on on the raypeat site but havent searched here.
Much research ahead of me. If anyone can point me to salient links, I would be much obliged. Feel really grateful I found this group.

@MissRed "singles" are normal components of any powerlifters regimen. Its not new or novel is basic powerlifting 101 Low rep High load stuff. If you want to be in the olympics just singles won't do it for you but if you're weight lifting for is primary benefit STRENGTH and you live a varied life and move around like humans should you don't need to spend hours or even half hours in the weight room

People must stop thinking of "exercise" as a mechanical/muscular/metabolic activity if "exercise" is going to offer "health" benefits
its a BRAIN activity nothing more nothing less. Unless you are an athlete with sport specific goals
the ONLY reason to lift is to provide the brain the stimulus offered by the "exercise" you choose to do
singles provide the maximum amount of stimulus with the least amount of distress
compared to higher rep schemes. I'm not saying nobody should do higher rep schemes they too serve a purpose.
But for someone who's goal is to be strong and not kill themselves in the process singles are perfect.
Weight Loss is 100% about what you eat or don't eat. It has zero to do with exercise. If someone needs strenuous exercise to lose weight they're
doing it wrong. But remember you can't sell gym memberships, personal trainer sessions, supplements, etc.... unless its sexy and you can post it on instaG
singles just ain't that sexy and most folk don't brag about how SHORT their training was on insta

I do yoga almost daily just not to a point of breathlessness. So I rarely attend group classes for that reason.

Low Carb and all of the other diets for that matter suffer from magical thinking.
there's no magic in the diet format. Its just simply what works with the least amount of distress.
Don't think in terms of Milk and OJ. Just plug a gallon of milk and a half gallon of oj into cronometer and see how much of your daily nutrition it covers.
Milk and OJ are not Ray's magic foods. He just chose them because they cover a ton of bases, they're easily accessed and cheap. That's it.
No magic. You do NOT EVER have to drink Milk or OJ you just have to choose foods that satisfy your nutritional requirements.
What you'll find is with a milkless ojless diet its HARD to meet those requirements. Not impossible but HARD. I don't drink a gallon of milk and a half gallon of oj a day. I have done it for periods of time and its fine. But its boring and so I choose not to. But you have to figure out how to meet your needs and that becomes
the priority. Your needs are definitely heavy on the carb side from a macro perspective. Fat is eaten as needed (more for some less for others). I don't think in terms of macros tho. Just in terms of meeting nutritional needs with a majority of them coming through carbs (mostly fruit but I still eat potatoes fairly often) .
The sooner a person loses the magical thinking magical foods magical diet thing the faster they get better.

Your blood sugar is likely fine. Low carb requires increased adrenaline the more carbs you eat the less adrenaline you make (generally speaking)
when I started eating this way I told a knowledgable friend I was "tired" he retorted "are you sure you're not just feeling what its like to not be adrenalized all the time?" turns out he was right. Its not magic and carbs don't ruin your blood sugar EXCEPT the can become problematic if you eat a lot of fat
but you don't handle fat well. This is not MY magic opinion that works for everyone. Just my experience of my own self ;-)

walker_in_aus

Hello! Few things for low fat diets. 1. Pick your fat amount (5-20g is still low), and then double the grams of carbs for how much protein you eat. I ate like this for three weeks and the amount of lean mass I gained was significant, with only walking a few times a week. 2. B-VITAMINS. You are going to asking your body to start using a lot more sugars. B-Vitamins are like, I guess, pseudo-insulin, in the way that they ferry sugars about and into your cells. 3. You will be struggling to absorb fat soluable vitamins. Try and have a day where you eat something really fatty and get in some A, E, D, K etc... 4. I found taurine very helpful during this diet as it can act to massively increase liver glycogen storage. PLEASE READ ABOUT TAURINE BEFORE YOU USE IT 5. IF YOU FEEL LIKE ***t EAT SOME BUTTER. If you are losing weight fast, you are also increasing circulating pufas and also... many fat cells are handy storage spots for heavy metals and other ***t, and when you start draining them you can over strain your liver, which basically defeats any weight loss purpose.

Hope this helps, have fun experimenting!

L

lollipop

I don't think in terms of macros tho. Just in terms of meeting nutritional needs with a majority of them coming through carbs (mostly fruit but I still eat potatoes fairly often) .
The sooner a person loses the magical thinking magical foods magical diet thing the faster they get better.
Your entire post presents a good balanced perspective. Especially this quote.

OP
D

DanielleB

Hey there! Just wanted to let you know that if you search "low fat diet" in the search bar here, you will get some great results! It's what helped me piece together my own diet plan and get the information I was needing for why a low fat diet can be very beneficial but there's certainly many pieces to the puzzle such as ensuring proper Calcium to Phosphorus ratio, other macros, etc. Good luck and here's to hoping that your recovery from your severe injuries is sped up through Peating! :blush:

OP
D

DanielleB

Hello! Few things for low fat diets. 1. Pick your fat amount (5-20g is still low), and then double the grams of carbs for how much protein you eat. I ate like this for three weeks and the amount of lean mass I gained was significant, with only walking a few times a week. 2. B-VITAMINS. You are going to asking your body to start using a lot more sugars. B-Vitamins are like, I guess, pseudo-insulin, in the way that they ferry sugars about and into your cells. 3. You will be struggling to absorb fat soluable vitamins. Try and have a day where you eat something really fatty and get in some A, E, D, K etc... 4. I found taurine very helpful during this diet as it can act to massively increase liver glycogen storage. PLEASE READ ABOUT TAURINE BEFORE YOU USE IT 5. IF YOU FEEL LIKE ***t EAT SOME BUTTER. If you are losing weight fast, you are also increasing circulating pufas and also... many fat cells are handy storage spots for heavy metals and other ***t, and when you start draining them you can over strain your liver, which basically defeats any weight loss purpose.

Hope this helps, have fun experimenting!

I found your reply very interesting and helpful, thank you! So, can I ask why it's important to double the carbs to protein? The suggestions for taking B-vitamins was helpful as well, I do have some B-vitamins but I get a weird metallic taste when I take them so I don't care for them very much....wonder why the metallic taste?
Can I ask what all you ate when you did the VLF?
I will read up on Taurine as well and consider getting some.
So when you advised getting in one fat meal a week or so, do you mean to take supplemental A,E,K,D vitamins or just a higher fat meal that has those in it?

OP
D

DanielleB

So I did some research on the progesterone and it seems like it's a bit of gamble with what results I might get. Some users report negative side effects/symptoms after taking it.....namely, gaining weight. Did you have any negative side effects from usage?

sladerunner69

I dont think shorter chain fats stimulate bile flow, so fats from beef, dairy, eggs, and olive oil would be preferable to coconut, which would have to be consumed in much higher qualities to stimulate equal bile flow.

Hey @tca300 how have things been since you began experiencing severe problems from your nearly fat free diet? I remember some time ago you explained that you were encountering problems with "salicylates" and therefore only consuming milk. Is this still so?

T

tca300

@sladerunner69 Things are great currently! Lots of 1% milk, and about 1oz of liver everyday. I do mussels a few times per month for manganese. Maybe once per month egg yokes, ground beef, and cheese.

walker_in_aus

I found your reply very interesting and helpful, thank you! So, can I ask why it's important to double the carbs to protein? The suggestions for taking B-vitamins was helpful as well, I do have some B-vitamins but I get a weird metallic taste when I take them so I don't care for them very much....wonder why the metallic taste?
Can I ask what all you ate when you did the VLF?
I will read up on Taurine as well and consider getting some.
So when you advised getting in one fat meal a week or so, do you mean to take supplemental A,E,K,D vitamins or just a higher fat meal that has those in it?
The carbs to protein ratio is often recommended by body builders, but I think there are a number of atudies done on protein digestion and muscle synthesis but I can't remember what they are as I read them years ago - reading them youraelf is the best option (think, peecieve, act). B vitamin complexes are often not great, weird ratios and they come with additives. Toxinless (website) has amazing in-depth reviews of supps. Or, you can add nutritional yeast to your diet, and an egg yolk twice a week, pretty much covers it. I ate low fat milk with added casein, fruit and gelatin, prawns, white fish, chicken, rice, honey, some green vegetables and slow cooker tomato and beef casseroles. And soup! In a pinch of have tuna with tomato, capsicum and cucumber with a slow fat laughing cow xheese.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals