Brown Fat Activating - Good Or Bad?

Milena

I am trying to raise my metabolic rate (LFHC) with no thyroid or progesterone supplements (not available to me) Some aspirin, B3 Vit E etc. Low fat to deplete PUFA and then lose 100lbs or so.
I've been feeling warmth between my shoulderblades and on the back of my neck. I believe this is brown fat being activated but am not sure if this will harm my liver recovery and glycogen storage or sabotage any weight-loss or even worse indicate the release of PUFA FFAs.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

sele

I am trying to raise my metabolic rate (LFHC) with no thyroid or progesterone supplements (not available to me) Some aspirin, B3 Vit E etc. Low fat to deplete PUFA and then lose 100lbs or so.
I've been feeling warmth between my shoulderblades and on the back of my neck. I believe this is brown fat being activated but am not sure if this will harm my liver recovery and glycogen storage or sabotage any weight-loss or even worse indicate the release of PUFA FFAs.

What I've learnt over the years is that a vibrant health is more important than weight loss or gain.
PUFA is stored in both brown and white fat.
Anytime you summon cortisol or adrenaline you will be releasing FFAs into the blood.
Aspirin and B3 will not release FFA but may slow down lipolysis.
Lipolysis is good for fast fat loss but detrimental to your metabolism and health.
LFHC, easy to digest foods, and foods that don't increase endotoxin should help increase metabolism.
Anything that will lower your glycogen storage will make you fat. B2, famotidine, taurine help with glycogen. Any food (even 'peaty') that raises your histamine will lower glycogen. Estrogen disturbs glycogen storage.
http://180degreehealth.com/how-to-burn-fat-and-why-you-shouldnt/

T

tca300

If your in a mild calorie deficit, taking good quality vitamin E, aspirin, eating enough protein, sugars, and a small amount of coconut oil, your pretty well protected from the PUFA thats being released from storage. I wouldn’t worry about it.

tankasnowgod

If it is indeed Brown Fat activation, it would be beneficial for weight loss, and likely for your body overall. Haidut, in another post, warned about deliberately trying to increase brown fat (through things like excess T3 administration or cold thermogenesis) here- Fat Loss Through Topical Thyroid Or Thyroid Injections?

OP
Milena

Milena

Thanks, all. I remember doing the Zone diet and that gave me crippling headaches for 2-3 weeks. I think it must have been AA release as fish oil competed well with it and reduced the headaches.

I did get headaches initially doing RP protocol - I think that was similar but I upped the B3 and they have not returned apart from once when I was slack.

Brown fat had been activating intermittently before, often in the evenings with no particular trigger or increase in temperature.

In general, my temperatures are rising being >=36.0 <=36.5C

At the moment, (repeated on two days), I have felt brown fat activating with sweating (and swelling of hands) at the same time. I was not sure whether the sweating was due to increased adrenaline and/or cortisol or rise in core temperature. I think the former is most likely as my oral temp shows 36.1 C at the moment and I feel hot and sweaty. I cannot tell the difference between adrenaline and cortisol reactions at the moment - is there an easy way to tell? I chased my lunch coffee (2 tsps instant coffee in 125ml water, 125ml milk with tsp hydrolysed collagen I, 2 tsps refined sugar) with a cup of camomile tea which dealyed the sweating over yesterday, so possibly cortisol today.

After reading lots of the RP articles, I have increased my salt intake to compensate for the large amount of liquid ingested - 3.27 litres (3.4 qts) daily, milk and OJ. I will wait and see if this reduces the occasional sweating. I wonder if my body is fighting the set-point or, more likely, I have not got all my metabolic and mineral ducks in a row.

My appetite is increasing without major cravings even though it is low-fat. I am not losing weight or fat% and am patient but need to identify circumstances where tweaking is necessary and what tweak is required. I definitely think histamine is being produced and, if that does negatively affect glycogen storage, I need to address it. Hopefully, I have some cyproheptadine arriving soon and will be able to try that out. Whenever things go a little pear-shaped, I currently eat some sugar or gelatine sweets; it doesn't always work.

So many questions pop into my head as various difference sensations crop up - it is hard to correlate things and it feels like good health is a knife-edge.
Burn, baby, burn:watching: , long-term.

OP
Milena

Milena

Tried 100mg of B3 and the sweating has subsided and hopefully the reduction in swelling is not my imagination.
I will try this solution for a few attempts. Temp 36.3C

sele

Tried 100mg of B3 and the sweating has subsided and hopefully the reduction in swelling is not my imagination.
I will try this solution for a few attempts. Temp 36.3C
If you feel hot, sweaty, pulse is high, mind is racing, uncomfortable, tense muscles, then it's probably stress hormones.
Cypro may not help with weight loss since it will increase hunger. Instead avoid the food that is spiking your histamine.
Keep an eye on your coffee. With low glycogen it can get you stressed and make you gain weight.
Once you fix metabolism, weight loss will not be far. ;)

OP
Milena

Milena

If you feel hot, sweaty, pulse is high, mind is racing, uncomfortable, tense muscles, then it's probably stress hormones.
Cypro may not help with weight loss since it will increase hunger. Instead avoid the food that is spiking your histamine.
Keep an eye on your coffee. With low glycogen it can get you stressed and make you gain weight.
Once you fix metabolism, weight loss will not be far. ;)

No Mind-racing, no pulse higher than normal, not uncomfortable, no tense muscles. Just sweating and feeling warmer.

Milk and OJ are increasing histamine, but mildly. I was mainly after Cypro to ease overnight sleep, potentially, as low dose. I will probably quit it if it makes me raging hungry!
I keep the coffee to one when I get to work after a breakfast of egg, 3/4 quart of skimmed milk, collagen and possibly some OJ. Then another cup with lunch. I rarely drink it at the weekend, maybe 1 regular cup with a meal out.

I appreciate any insights, Sele, they give me simple things to change, one at a time. I'm amazed at the potential of simple and cheap foodstuffs. As I age, I am less interested in variety and pretty happy to eat the same each day for a while.

OP
Milena

Milena

Oops, too much salt
Waking each 2 hrs to pee :(

OP
Milena

Milena

Too much salt made my legs swell. Best I back off a bit.

Collected my first batch of cyproheptadine, today. Just taken 1mg. Reading the enclosed leaflet, the recommended dose (for anti-histamine use) is 3-4 tablets a day -max 8 = 12-16mg a day, max 32mg. From what people have said about the drowsiness, this sounds like an ENORMOUS amount.
I'm starting on 1mg with food at lunchtime to see how it goes.

OP
Milena

Milena

Well, went to sleep in the afternoon and slept well. Usual interrupts at night (about every 3-4hrs) but felt rested. Awake early, alert, at 6,30am - around about sunrise.
Today took another 1mg - no sleepiness - a slight bit more chilled, I think. Not very hungry but craving protein.
Dropped the box so have lost 3mg somewhere under the bed :(

Luann

Milk and OJ are increasing histamine, but mildly.

Milk does that for some people, make sure you drink it fresh; keeping it away from light in a dark container helped me.

I'm amazed at the potential of simple and cheap foodstuffs.

Totally :) my favorite snacks are pickles, carrots, milk, rice& soy sauce, soda, and peach rings.

Peater

Collected my first batch of cyproheptadine, today. Just taken 1mg. Reading the enclosed leaflet, the recommended dose (for anti-histamine use) is 3-4 tablets a day -max 8 = 12-16mg a day, max 32mg. From what people have said about the drowsiness, this sounds like an ENORMOUS amount.
I'm starting on 1mg with food at lunchtime to see how it goes.

I take 0.5mg and I'm an 85kg male. It's strong stuff. Following the instructions I took a whole tablet when I first got them and it wiped me out for 24 hours. The leaflet's recommended dose seems crazy to me.

GorillaHead

What I've learnt over the years is that a vibrant health is more important than weight loss or gain.
PUFA is stored in both brown and white fat.
Anytime you summon cortisol or adrenaline you will be releasing FFAs into the blood.
Aspirin and B3 will not release FFA but may slow down lipolysis.
Lipolysis is good for fast fat loss but detrimental to your metabolism and health.
LFHC, easy to digest foods, and foods that don't increase endotoxin should help increase metabolism.
Anything that will lower your glycogen storage will make you fat. B2, famotidine, taurine help with glycogen. Any food (even 'peaty') that raises your histamine will lower glycogen. Estrogen disturbs glycogen storage.
How to Burn Fat and Why You Shouldn't - 180 Degree Health

Really is that basically the underlying mechanism. ? So if i keep my glycogen stores full and eat saturated fat i wont gain weight?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals