Implementing Low-fat Diet And Needing Advice

jitsmonkey

I found your reply very interesting and helpful, thank you! So, can I ask why it's important to double the carbs to protein? The suggestions for taking B-vitamins was helpful as well, I do have some B-vitamins but I get a weird metallic taste when I take them so I don't care for them very much....wonder why the metallic taste?
Can I ask what all you ate when you did the VLF?
I will read up on Taurine as well and consider getting some.
So when you advised getting in one fat meal a week or so, do you mean to take supplemental A,E,K,D vitamins or just a higher fat meal that has those in it?

The ratio of Protein:Carb is different for different people (once again the ONLY source of success is experimentation and response to your data)
Double is a reasonable place to start.
the reason most require more carb than protein is because protein REQUIRES carbohydrate for metabolism and you'd prefer not to use glycogen stores to metabolize your current meal.
Some will require a 1:1 ratio others 4:1 carbs: protein.
experiment, document and respond
no matter how much our thinking wants to avoid this fact it is unavoidable
experiment, document, respond

jitsmonkey

So I did some research on the progesterone and it seems like it's a bit of gamble with what results I might get. Some users report negative side effects/symptoms after taking it.....namely, gaining weight. Did you have any negative side effects from usage?

the research you're looking at are side effects of ProgestIN not progesterone. However the literature is littered with reports treating those to things as the same thing. they are not. As far as magical thinking goes progesterone is about the closest thing to a magical substance as you'll get. If you want to read sensible information about progesterone read Ray's articles.

raypeatclips

@MissRed "singles" are normal components of any powerlifters regimen. Its not new or novel is basic powerlifting 101 Low rep High load stuff. If you want to be in the olympics just singles won't do it for you but if you're weight lifting for is primary benefit STRENGTH and you live a varied life and move around like humans should you don't need to spend hours or even half hours in the weight room

People must stop thinking of "exercise" as a mechanical/muscular/metabolic activity if "exercise" is going to offer "health" benefits
its a BRAIN activity nothing more nothing less. Unless you are an athlete with sport specific goals
the ONLY reason to lift is to provide the brain the stimulus offered by the "exercise" you choose to do
singles provide the maximum amount of stimulus with the least amount of distress
compared to higher rep schemes. I'm not saying nobody should do higher rep schemes they too serve a purpose.
But for someone who's goal is to be strong and not kill themselves in the process singles are perfect.
Weight Loss is 100% about what you eat or don't eat. It has zero to do with exercise. If someone needs strenuous exercise to lose weight they're
doing it wrong. But remember you can't sell gym memberships, personal trainer sessions, supplements, etc.... unless its sexy and you can post it on instaG
singles just ain't that sexy and most folk don't brag about how SHORT their training was on insta

I do yoga almost daily just not to a point of breathlessness. So I rarely attend group classes for that reason.

Low Carb and all of the other diets for that matter suffer from magical thinking.
there's no magic in the diet format. Its just simply what works with the least amount of distress.
Don't think in terms of Milk and OJ. Just plug a gallon of milk and a half gallon of oj into cronometer and see how much of your daily nutrition it covers.
Milk and OJ are not Ray's magic foods. He just chose them because they cover a ton of bases, they're easily accessed and cheap. That's it.
No magic. You do NOT EVER have to drink Milk or OJ you just have to choose foods that satisfy your nutritional requirements.
What you'll find is with a milkless ojless diet its HARD to meet those requirements. Not impossible but HARD. I don't drink a gallon of milk and a half gallon of oj a day. I have done it for periods of time and its fine. But its boring and so I choose not to. But you have to figure out how to meet your needs and that becomes
the priority. Your needs are definitely heavy on the carb side from a macro perspective. Fat is eaten as needed (more for some less for others). I don't think in terms of macros tho. Just in terms of meeting nutritional needs with a majority of them coming through carbs (mostly fruit but I still eat potatoes fairly often) .
The sooner a person loses the magical thinking magical foods magical diet thing the faster they get better.

Your blood sugar is likely fine. Low carb requires increased adrenaline the more carbs you eat the less adrenaline you make (generally speaking)
when I started eating this way I told a knowledgable friend I was "tired" he retorted "are you sure you're not just feeling what its like to not be adrenalized all the time?" turns out he was right. Its not magic and carbs don't ruin your blood sugar EXCEPT the can become problematic if you eat a lot of fat
but you don't handle fat well. This is not MY magic opinion that works for everyone. Just my experience of my own self ;-)

Please could you explain how you structure your daily yoga sessions?

jitsmonkey

Please could you explain how you structure your daily yoga sessions?

I don't structure them
humans were made to move
I do bits of yoga all day long
some sessions might be 10 or 20 or 30 min
some are 2 min
some days there are 10 sessions some days there is 1
no structure at all.
I know my strengths, weaknesses, things I want to work on,
things I need to avoid, etc... and each days practice is executed accordingly
It takes no time at all to do a sun salutation or a series of them
or some other series. If I'm not busy and I feel strong I'll
just go as long as I'm enjoying it. If I am busy I'll just make sure I
get some in between the rest of my day.
"yoga" is just a non english name for moving around, stretching and calisthenics.

MissRed

@MissRed Your blood sugar is likely fine. Low carb requires increased adrenaline the more carbs you eat the less adrenaline you make (generally speaking)
when I started eating this way I told a knowledgable friend I was "tired" he retorted "are you sure you're not just feeling what its like to not be adrenalized all the time?" turns out he was right. Its not magic and carbs don't ruin your blood sugar EXCEPT the can become problematic if you eat a lot of fat
but you don't handle fat well. This is not MY magic opinion that works for everyone. Just my experience of my own self ;-)
Thanks so much for taking time to respond to me.
I do seem to have a "problem" with eating sugar/carbs in that I fall asleep after eating around 50 gr. I get very groggy and have to take a nap. This can happen right after I get up if it is breakfast, or right up to around 6 pm. After that time I can eat carbs and be fine. But by then I have napped 2 or so hours and feel very groggy all day. This is the main reason I have been low carb for years.
Do you have any insights into why that may be and can you allay my fears that if I eat vlf that I will spend most of my day asleep?
And thanks for the tip about plugging in the macros into the chronometer.

MissRed

...I ate low fat milk with added casein, fruit and gelatin, prawns, white fish, chicken, rice, honey, some green vegetables and slow cooker tomato and beef casseroles. And soup! In a pinch of have tuna with tomato, capsicum and cucumber with a slow fat laughing cow xheese.
Oh thank goodness, this sounds doable.
I tend to think long term when I think eating plans and I just could get behind milk and OJ as my only choice. As was pointed out tho, I can use the chronometer to check my ratios and common sense to build out nutrition

MissRed

Hey there! Just wanted to let you know that if you search "low fat diet" in the search bar here, you will get some great results! It's what helped me piece together my own diet plan and get the information I was needing for why a low fat diet can be very beneficial but there's certainly many pieces to the puzzle such as ensuring proper Calcium to Phosphorus ratio, other macros, etc. Good luck and here's to hoping that your recovery from your severe injuries is sped up through Peating! :blush:
Hi Danielle, tnx for the encouragement and for starting this thread. It is very timely for me :D So much great experience here and wonderful to find others who are willing to take time to help others.

jitsmonkey

Thanks so much for taking time to respond to me.
I do seem to have a "problem" with eating sugar/carbs in that I fall asleep after eating around 50 gr. I get very groggy and have to take a nap. This can happen right after I get up if it is breakfast, or right up to around 6 pm. After that time I can eat carbs and be fine. But by then I have napped 2 or so hours and feel very groggy all day. This is the main reason I have been low carb for years.
Do you have any insights into why that may be and can you allay my fears that if I eat vlf that I will spend most of my day asleep?
And thanks for the tip about plugging in the macros into the chronometer.

If you have been dependent upon adrenaline to stay alive switching over will feel like you're "tired"
reality is you're just not cracked out on adrenaline. Its a hole you've dug yourself into
the only way to remedy it is dig yourself out. That will likely mean some "tired" along the way.
as I've said many times there is NO answer in advance.
there's just pulse/temp/mood.... live.... pulse/temp/mood.... adjust accordingly.
there was a time my fear of being tired stopped being my #1 fear
my #1 fear became the ravaging effects of high adrenaline and cortisol.
so I dug myself out of the ditch s l 0 w l y

start with going low fat after 3pm or noon or only between waking and noon.
just start somewhere, be diligent about gathering your metrics daily and adjust accordingly.

OP
D

DanielleB

The carbs to protein ratio is often recommended by body builders, but I think there are a number of atudies done on protein digestion and muscle synthesis but I can't remember what they are as I read them years ago - reading them youraelf is the best option (think, peecieve, act). B vitamin complexes are often not great, weird ratios and they come with additives. Toxinless (website) has amazing in-depth reviews of supps. Or, you can add nutritional yeast to your diet, and an egg yolk twice a week, pretty much covers it. I ate low fat milk with added casein, fruit and gelatin, prawns, white fish, chicken, rice, honey, some green vegetables and slow cooker tomato and beef casseroles. And soup! In a pinch of have tuna with tomato, capsicum and cucumber with a slow fat laughing cow xheese.

Great advice about the B-supps, did you take a specific brand when you were going VLF that you can recommend?

Thanks for sharing your diet, sounds similar to mine! What benefits did you notice from going VLF, if I may ask? Would love to know!

OP
D

DanielleB

The ratio of Protein:Carb is different for different people (once again the ONLY source of success is experimentation and response to your data)
Double is a reasonable place to start.
the reason most require more carb than protein is because protein REQUIRES carbohydrate for metabolism and you'd prefer not to use glycogen stores to metabolize your current meal.
Some will require a 1:1 ratio others 4:1 carbs: protein.
experiment, document and respond
no matter how much our thinking wants to avoid this fact it is unavoidable
experiment, document, respond

I'm certainly experimenting and logging everything in a daily food/mood/energy/temps journal haha! I like that I can go back and reference it if a strange symptom appears or what have you. I'm thinking of starting a log in this forum as well that gives a weekly recap...we shall see.

OP
D

DanielleB

Hi Danielle, tnx for the encouragement and for starting this thread. It is very timely for me :D So much great experience here and wonderful to find others who are willing to take time to help others.

I've been lurking for a bit but I've been very pleasantly surprised by the members, experiences, and loads of advice. Glad you are here!

sladerunner69

Can I ask what happened to you when you went low fat? Why are you not able to to drink juices or eat fruit?! That sounds concerning!

Yes it is concerning, I remember @tca300 in particular for his intense commitment to rooting PUFA out of his diet, and to that end had been consuming very low fat for a long period of time, until he began experiencing digestion problems that (if I recall) he blaimed on not getting enough saturated fat...

OP
D

DanielleB

The carbs to protein ratio is often recommended by body builders, but I think there are a number of atudies done on protein digestion and muscle synthesis but I can't remember what they are as I read them years ago - reading them youraelf is the best option (think, peecieve, act). B vitamin complexes are often not great, weird ratios and they come with additives. Toxinless (website) has amazing in-depth reviews of supps. Or, you can add nutritional yeast to your diet, and an egg yolk twice a week, pretty much covers it. I ate low fat milk with added casein, fruit and gelatin, prawns, white fish, chicken, rice, honey, some green vegetables and slow cooker tomato and beef casseroles. And soup! In a pinch of have tuna with tomato, capsicum and cucumber with a slow fat laughing cow xheese.

Can you also share if you counted calories at this time or just at according to hunger?

OP
D

DanielleB

Yes it is concerning, I remember @tca300 in particular for his intense commitment to rooting PUFA out of his diet, and to that end had been consuming very low fat for a long period of time, until he began experiencing digestion problems that (if I recall) he blaimed on not getting enough saturated fat...

From all the VLF experiences that I have read on this forum, it seems that it's quite crucial that the person who is intending to implement such a diet be very mindful about proper vitamin supplementation if the diet is deficient, be mindful of over-exertion (stress) from too much physical activity while undertaking the diet, being mindful of calorie intake and macro-nutrient intake. If a person is not highly in-tune with their body and the subtle reactions it has to tweaking any of the above-mentioned factors, I truly believe that person is setting themselves up for failure. I am, by no means, asserting that the user you mentioned did this but I do think that most whom try to implement the VLF get in over their heads by taking too many supplements or just having too many other variables present that makes it difficult to understand if it's the diet causing the issues or any of the other variables present.
Just my take on it though...

T

tca300

Possibly too little fat as well as a deficiency in aldolase b which led to severe liver damage and massive bacteria overgrowth from all the fructose I was consuming. My bad experience is only applicable to myself as most have adequate aldolase b activity.

OP
D

DanielleB

Possibly too little fat as well as a deficiency in aldolase b which led to severe liver damage and massive bacteria overgrowth from all the fructose I was consuming. My bad experience is only applicable to myself as most have adequate aldolase b activity.

How would one know if they have an adolase b deficiency? Are there tests one can take to determine this? Can I ask what symptoms you had when things started going downhill?

T

tca300

How would one know if they have an adolase b deficiency? Are there tests one can take to determine this? Can I ask what symptoms you had when things started going downhill?
Liver biopsy is how its found out for certain. Low energy, hypoglycemia, liver and kidney problems/failure eventually. If its completely absent fructose ingestion leads to death, usually infants completely lacking aldolase b will die after its first time consuming fructose. This condition is very rare, and likely not to concern you.