Tipping The Scales From Fat Oxidation To Glucose: Question On Mechanisms And Personal Experience?

Jon

What's up guys and gals?

Very new to the peat community, definitely love the intelligent crowd amassed here! So wanted to say a quick thanks for any input anyone shares with me :)

Quick bio: I've been doing natural bodybuilding for 11 years, done messed up my already poor metabolism (confident I have been hypothyroid since single digit age). Despite that poor metabolism have done well with athletics all my life and have had great success with body composition goals and strength/hypertrophy goals through training and macronutrients manipulation (I.e. Counting calories). But I'm ready to get my health on track and rectify my metabolism and thyroid issues. I'm 28yrs old; a short dude lol 5'6" 146.6lbs@13-14%bf; glucose readings average 110-120 fasted and have for the last 10 years (perhaps even before that); bp 110/70; AM Temp 96.4F PM temp 97.8F; Am pulse 47bpm; Pm Pulse 49bpm.

I have a few questions I'm hoping some of you can shine some light on.

1) During a period of shifting metabolism from fat oxidation to sugar oxidation (while being insulin resistant) is it expected to have some weight gain?

2) I track my weight daily and have noticed since lowering fat intake and starting therapeutic levels of b vitamins, my weight went up about 8oz holding there for the last 2 days. I'm wondering is this is an effect of a calorie surplus brought on by the b vitamins metabolizing my high blood glucose and subsequently storing fat via stiffiling free fatty acids and mopping up excess blood sugar?

3) my hunger cues since starting b vitamins have been to chowdown cheese and chocolate haha I'm very disciplined though so I don't give into a binge lol but I do a lot myself these items to fill fat quota for the day. My question here is, are my cravings for high fat items a sign that my body is mobilizing fat stores due to the mitochondria shifting preferred energy stores form fat to sugar? Alittle confused by this one because calories have not changed (2880 kcals is maintenance, I have a very physically demanding job+weight training 4days a wk) yet I am gaining weight AND craving fatty foods, which in the past happened during fat loss phases, especially in the deep parts where I'd be sub 5%bf.

Sorry for the book, thanks again to anyone willing to give opinions!

Ps also have a question on aspirin which I'll be making a thread for shortly here so if anyone wouldn't mind checking that out as well I'd be greateful!

OP
Jon

Jon

Yes. 1/2 lb of bodyweight. My weights are extremely consistent because my diet is very regulated. My weight up til now was consistenty 146.0 for the last 3 months. Always gain 3lbs during the day from food and liquids. But consistently I'm up .6lbs or roughly 8oz. Nothing has changed except for the supps.

OP
Jon

Jon

I know that I'm splitting hairs lol but I want to be on top of this stuff. Read too much on people spiraling down during peating. I'm not really eating a true peat diet but I want to be safe about changing my metabolism. Don't need worsening vitals lol.

J

James IV

Hmmm. What exactly is your concern? If you are eating close to 3000 calories and maintaining a healthy bodyfat level, why do you believe you are hypothyroid?

Nevermind. I saw your numbers. You probably just need more calories since you are so young and active. I've found as long as you are not constantly, extremely, limiting any macro, it's usually lack of calories that cause the body temp and heart rate to drop.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Jon

Jon

Hmmm. What exactly is your concern? If you are eating close to 3000 calories and maintaining a healthy bodyfat level, why do you believe you are hypothyroid?

Thanks for chatting with me dude I appreciate it first and foremost!

My calorie expenditure is pretty high but I think that's just because I'm very active and have a good amount of lean tissue. I believe I'm hypothyroid because I have very low body temps at all times. I never get over 97.8f and usually wake up to 97.4f. My hands go cold at the slightest blood sugar drop despite being hyperglycemic and my feet are cold 24/7. I also have a swollen thyroid, not quite goiter status but it's noticeable to me and has been since I was 14. I also have a family history of hypothyroid; my mom developed a severe goiter at 14 and was medicated for years. She possibly subsequently developed breast cancer much later in life (she's been remissed for 6 years now though!). Also have a history of diabetes on my dads side so yeah genetically I have a hand delt for hypothyroidism lol.

OP
Jon

Jon

Nevermind. I saw your numbers. You probably just need more calories since you are so young and active. I've found as long as you are not constantly, extremely, limiting any macro, it's usually lack of calories that cause the body temp and heart rate to drop.

J

James IV

Sorry, yes. I edited my original post.

I'll add that you should make sure you are eating as much variety of foods as possible. I know with bodybuilding the tendency is tomeat the same meals over and over. I don't think this works too well with our modern food supply.

OP
Jon

Jon

Sorry, yes. I edited my original post.

No worries, sorry I'm still not very good at navigating the forum lol

Well I suppose I could bump up cals. I guess my weight gain could be a rise in cortisol induced edema from a calorie deficit brought on by an increase in metabolism from Bs?

J

James IV

No worries, sorry I'm still not very good at navigating the forum lol

Well I suppose I could bump up cals. I guess my weight gain could be a rise in cortisol induced edema from a calorie deficit brought on by an increase in metabolism from Bs?

80z could really be anything. If you lowered fat and increased carbs your weight will likely rise from fluid retention until the body adjusts to the new level of carbs. My weight fluctuates 5lbs in a day sometimes depending on what I decide to eat.

J

James IV

Honestly though, the scale is the absolute worst way to monitor things unless you have significant fat to lose. It will mess with your mind and cloud your feedback.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals