How To Undo Large Fish Oil Supplementation?

Disono

I've started taking concentrated Fish oil capsules around 3 months ago for total of 800-1600 EPA/DHA per day. I've had some persistent low back inflammation and though Fish oil might help. It did ease my back problem in the beginning so I though it will take some time to completely eliminate it.
I've had different health problems (mostly metabolic type of problems) for the past 6 years my health was improving and getting worse by itself so i had periods of really bad health and great improvement.
Since starting fish oil at first I didn't realise that i was getting more and more tired, having worse sleep, brain fog and morning muscle spasms. It got to a point where i'm having brain fog 24/7, tiredness and SEVERE morning muscle spasms that wake me around 6 and it takes a whole day to recover from it.
Anyway, on saturday my wife said she wanted to try my fish oil because she has high cholesterol and i gave her one cap. She experienced morning stiffness on sunday morning and this morning as well. She was very tired as well.

Then I finally realised all my recent miseries are due to fish oil. Last cap i took on saturday night, had all above mentioned symptoms both yesterday and today.

It seems this fish oil poison will not leave me so quickly. Are there any strategies to speed up clearance of fish oil from body? I've started taking Thyroid glandular and Iosol iodine this morning as well as B Compley to help my metabolism, but I don't feel any improvement yet.

Tarmander

Coconut oil internally and topically can really help. Just get rid of the major offenders and you should be rid of pufa in some years. I took a vegan omega high in GLA and EPA for a year in my mid 20s and am now 31. It’s possible. My ocular pressure is low, indicating low pufa storage. Search the forum for studies on coconut oil topically affecting internal storage if you want more info.

OP
D

Disono

Coconut oil internally and topically can really help. Just get rid of the major offenders and you should be rid of pufa in some years. I took a vegan omega high in GLA and EPA for a year in my mid 20s and am now 31. It’s possible. My ocular pressure is low, indicating low pufa storage. Search the forum for studies on coconut oil topically affecting internal storage if you want more info.

In some years? I was taking fish oil for 3 months...in 800-1600 mg dose...don't think it will take years to clear. I'm sure it will take a week or two to clear, or at least feel significantly better. I'm just looking for strategies to speed it up.
Coconut oil i've already started (not topically thou).

johnwester130

vitamin e

coconut oil

gelatine

zinc and b6

maybe taurine,
aspirin and caffeine
selenium from shellfish

seem like realistic options to reduce the damage from PUFA and oxidised fat

Tarmander

In some years? I was taking fish oil for 3 months...in 800-1600 mg dose...don't think it will take years to clear. I'm sure it will take a week or two to clear, or at least feel significantly better. I'm just looking for strategies to speed it up.
Coconut oil i've already started (not topically thou).

I may have misunderstood your situation. I assumed your consumption of fish oil meant you were relatively new to Peat’s ideas, as fish oil’s toxicity is very apparent after reading only a bit of him. If that was the case then I thought you would also be consuming other sources of PUFA as it’s basically everywhere. If the fish oil is your only source of pufa, and it was only 3 months, then yes you should be able to get back to a state of health relatively quickly, baring your health was not already compromised.

OP
D

Disono

I may have misunderstood your situation. I assumed your consumption of fish oil meant you were relatively new to Peat’s ideas, as fish oil’s toxicity is very apparent after reading only a bit of him. If that was the case then I thought you would also be consuming other sources of PUFA as it’s basically everywhere. If the fish oil is your only source of pufa, and it was only 3 months, then yes you should be able to get back to a state of health relatively quickly, baring your health was not already compromised.

It was not only source of PUFA but i generally don't eat much PUFA anyway, thou i don't avoid it completely. Though my extreme symptoms i mentioned appeared after some time on fish oil.

OP
D

Disono

vitamin e

coconut oil

gelatine

zinc and b6

maybe taurine,
aspirin and caffeine
selenium from shellfish

seem like realistic options to reduce the damage from PUFA and oxidised fat

I do take 100 IU Vit E daily already. Actually taking 400 IU mixed alpha and gamma tocopherol gave me great relief from spasms but induced even greater lethargy. I wonder if this will change when fish oil is completely out and i'll be able to take more Vit E without lethargy?

Zinc, B6 and Folate increased my spasms. In fact, even before I started using Fish oil, more than 15mg Zinc per day or more than 20-30mg B6 per day would give me same kind of morning spasms/stiffness as fish oil.
I do know that Zinc, B6 and Folate reduce sodium in body and increase potassium. On my hair test my sodium was extremely low, while my potassium was normal, so Na/K ratio was very bad.
Why does Fish oil produce same symptoms i haven't figured out. Couldn't find info that fish oil lowers sodium...which is actually possible because it does reduce BP.

johnwester130

I do take 100 IU Vit E daily already. Actually taking 400 IU mixed alpha and gamma tocopherol gave me great relief from spasms but induced even greater lethargy. I wonder if this will change when fish oil is completely out and i'll be able to take more Vit E without lethargy?

Zinc, B6 and Folate increased my spasms. In fact, even before I started using Fish oil, more than 15mg Zinc per day or more than 20-30mg B6 per day would give me same kind of morning spasms/stiffness as fish oil.
I do know that Zinc, B6 and Folate reduce sodium in body and increase potassium. On my hair test my sodium was extremely low, while my potassium was normal, so Na/K ratio was very bad.
Why does Fish oil produce same symptoms i haven't figured out. Couldn't find info that fish oil lowers sodium...which is actually possible because it does reduce BP.

oysters can be used instead of selenium/zinc/b6

Luann

Is there a DIY way to measure ocular pressure?

Luann

Think you have to go to a doctor for this lol. I wanted to do it from home but doesn't look like it can be done.

Tarmander

Think you have to go to a doctor for this lol. I wanted to do it from home but doesn't look like it can be done.
I think you have to push really hard with your thumb into your eye. If it hurts you are good to go.

fradon

I've started taking concentrated Fish oil capsules around 3 months ago for total of 800-1600 EPA/DHA per day. I've had some persistent low back inflammation and though Fish oil might help. It did ease my back problem in the beginning so I though it will take some time to completely eliminate it.
I've had different health problems (mostly metabolic type of problems) for the past 6 years my health was improving and getting worse by itself so i had periods of really bad health and great improvement.
Since starting fish oil at first I didn't realise that i was getting more and more tired, having worse sleep, brain fog and morning muscle spasms. It got to a point where i'm having brain fog 24/7, tiredness and SEVERE morning muscle spasms that wake me around 6 and it takes a whole day to recover from it.
Anyway, on saturday my wife said she wanted to try my fish oil because she has high cholesterol and i gave her one cap. She experienced morning stiffness on sunday morning and this morning as well. She was very tired as well.

Then I finally realised all my recent miseries are due to fish oil. Last cap i took on saturday night, had all above mentioned symptoms both yesterday and today.

It seems this fish oil poison will not leave me so quickly. Are there any strategies to speed up clearance of fish oil from body? I've started taking Thyroid glandular and Iosol iodine this morning as well as B Compley to help my metabolism, but I don't feel any improvement yet.

vitamin D might help as fish oil could be considered what they call VITAMIN F. vitamin d and f kind of antagonize each other. As vitamin D pulls calcium intothe blood and vitamin F puts calcium in the Tissue.

you also avoid eating fat for a while and let your body burn that off.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals