How to lower Haemoglobin (18,1) fasting morning reading

edoos

Hi guys,

I have quite high haemoglobin since now one year. I always have had around 16,9 and 17,6-8 for 10 years but now it start to run higher. I'm a bit worried about blood thickening even if my O2 level is quite stable around 95-97% for 34-year-old. I don't know if this haemoglobin level is at risk for blood thickening all other heart marker are okay and my doctor is not very worried but from what I can read online it is not optimal.

I have also quite high ferritin around 250-300 ng/dL so I assume there is a correlation here and also a high iron saturation around 55%. I will test for haemochromatosis soon.

Thanks for your help.

If you have any ideas would be welcome :) @Hans

Ippodrom47

As you said, a genetic test is required, I bet you're at least heterozygous for either c282y or h63d. If you're homozygous (c282y/c282y or h63d/h63d) or compound heterozygous (one c282y and one h63d), then consider yourself lucky you've caught it early as it's virtually impossible to have any lasting damage with your ferritin level.
For now, try limiting your red meat and general heme iron intake (liver is to be ditched once and for all), avoid any supplements with iron or vitamin C, as well as citrus fruit and especially juices. Don't forget that whole grains contain quite a lot of iron, too. Any symptoms like fatigue, joint pains, mood swings? Usually, transferrin saturation of 40-50% is the threshold at which iron-loaders start experiencing symptoms.
I (c282y heterozygous) was able to lower my TS from 51% to 35% in a month by avoiding red meat and cutting on buckwheat and whole wheat. Red meat is the main issue. My ferritin was never above 120, though.
Edit: if you tolerate dairy, then add more milk/cheese to your diet as high-calcium foods will inhibit iron absorption.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals