High Prolactin, Not Sure What To Do Next?

Carb54

Hi guys,

I have been lurking for about a year or so now and have recently done some blood tests. Was wondering if I could get some advice on the best course of action moving forward. Below I have provided a background of my situation to give context however feel free to skip.

Background
Up till 22 I had great health (thick hair, clear skin, lean body). However, I decided to do a 5 month bulk which involved overload on weight lifting (7 days a week) along-side a stress full job which lead to a 13 kg weight gain. I then moved to an even more stress full job (running on raised cortisol 12 hours a day, 5 days a week) and continued working out for 5 months, maintaining a diet of 4000 calories throughout. This is when my acne started and my hair loss slowly began.

I then continued to run on cortisol for 3 months during the start of a new job (less stress full) and crashed. This lead to excessive hair loss and cystic acne (now have atrophic scars due to reduce wound healing ability). I noticed around this time that my stress response was severely impaired and that I could get an intense burst of cortisol response from relatively minor stressors.

In order to mitigate this, at the time I switched to a high vegetable diet, low sugar with heavy zinc supplementation which I maintained for 3 months. This reduced my acne short term but I suspect it lead to SIBO as I had constipation throughout (previously had gastritis years prior so I suspect weak stomach acid triggered this). Following the 3 months of strict adherence I had increased acne along with extreme fatigue and slow hair loss.

I then followed peat diet for 3 months but this accelerated my hair loss too much as I had a high stress period during this time.

I then cut out gluten in November 2018 which reduced acne massively. Since then I have followed a semi peat diet which I will outline below. I have followed this diet strictly in weekdays and am more liberal on weekends. Hair loss continues slowly and acne is now minor, fatigue is gone.

Current regime:
Breakfast:
Sweet potatoes and chicken with tablespoon of nutritional yeast
Cup of boiled water with teaspoon of coconut oil and home made beef gelatin

Morning snack:
Litre of orange juice

Lunch:
Sweet potatoes with oxtail or beef joint.

Dinner:
Sweet potatoes mash with oxtail or beef joint with table spoon of nutritional yeast
Home made sweet potatoe pie gluten free and lots of sugar

Every other day I have 2 drops of 7% lugols iodine solution
I have oysters every week
I have liver every other week
Blood tests every 3 months

Job has on and off periods of stress, inconsistent hours (I enjoy it)

Blood Test results (range is on second line for each):
I have bolded out of range results and others of significance

Main:

CORTISOL (9am prior to eating) 444 nmol/L
166 - 507

ESTRADIOL (E2) 69.1 pmol/L
41 - 159

TESTOSTERONE 20.4 nmol/L (This translates to 587 on other index)
8.64 - 29

PROLACTIN 442 mU/L (This translates to 20.7 which is way above prescribed range here of 4-7)
86 - 324

DHEA SULPHATE 9.41 umol/L
5.73 - 13.4

TSH 1.12 mIU/L (This has risen from 0.93 in January)
0.27 - 4.2

FREE THYROXINE 17.6 pmol/L
12 - 22

Cholesterol:

TOTAL CHOLESTEROL 4.53 mmol/L
0 - 5

LDL CHOLESTEROL 2.61 mmol/L
< 3

NON HDL CHOLESTEROL 3.05 mmol/L
< 4

HDL CHOLESTEROL 1.48 mmol/L
> 1.1

TRIGLYCERIDES 0.96 mmol/L
< 1.7

Inflammation

CRP HS 0.43 mg/L
< 5

CREATINE KINASE 189 IU/L
39 - 308

Vit & Minerals

IRON 21.41 umol/L
5.8 - 34.5

FERRITIN 49.7 ug/L
30 - 400

MAGNESIUM - SERUM 0.97 mmol/L
0.7 - 1

FOLATE - SERUM 9.28 ug/L
> 3.89

VITAMIN D 42.7 nmol/L
50 - 175

Other:

ALT 19.4 IU/L
< 50

ALBUMIN 45.2 g/L
35 - 50

HAEMOGLOBIN: 144 g/L
130 - 170

CREATININE: 100 umol/L
59 - 104

SHBG 47.6 nmol/L
18.3 - 54.1

HBA1C 34.88 mmol/mol
20 - 42

INSULIN 4.33 mIU/L
2.6 - 24.9

FREE TESTOSTERONE - CALC. 0.341 nmol/L
0.2 - 0.62

FREE ANDROGEN INDEX 42.86
24 - 104

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

SOMO

Try eating more meat, eggs and dairy.

B6 is richest in animal foods.

OP
C

Carb54

Thanks for the responses:

@SOMO I do eat dairy frequently on weekends and eat meat 3 times a day so am pretty sure that my B6 levels are sufficient.

@matisvijs II have not tried any serotonin reducing substances. Are there any in particular that you would recommend?

Momado965

Thanks for the responses:

@SOMO I do eat dairy frequently on weekends and eat meat 3 times a day so am pretty sure that my B6 levels are sufficient.

@matisvijs II have not tried any serotonin reducing substances. Are there any in particular that you would recommend?

You could try both lisuride and cypro. They lowered my prolactin. In fact they smashed it lol.

OP
C

Carb54

You could try both lisuride and cypro. They lowered my prolactin. In fact they smashed it lol.

How long ago did you take both of these? Have you noticed any additional benefits other than lower prolactin since taking them such as increase in androgens or decreased estrogen?

matisvijs

A dopamine agonist+serotonin antagonist combo is the most effective as Momado mentioned - drugs like bromocriptine (which is a dopamine agonist) are well known to drop prolactin, but lisuride is probably safer in terms of fibrosis.

Phoenix

Consider testing FREE T3 which is the active hormone. Low T3 Syndrome will elevate prolactin. TSH and FREE T4 are not helpful here.

Momado965

How long ago did you take both of these? Have you noticed any additional benefits other than lower prolactin since taking them such as increase in androgens or decreased estrogen?

Didnt test androgens on those. It took a month for them to smash prolactin.

nbznj

Increase dopamine, lower serotonin

>>> eat more protein high in tyrosine (your t4 isn’t really high, could be better), less dairy (less bcaa that competes with tyrosine), less carbs

Your prolactin isn’t crazy high at all, should be easily corrected with proper macro tweaks

Luk3

Metergoline will lower prolactin effectively, as will vitamin E. Avoiding things that raise prolactin such as wheat, cow dairy and ejaculating will also help.

Hans

Forum Supporter
Hi guys,

I have been lurking for about a year or so now and have recently done some blood tests. Was wondering if I could get some advice on the best course of action moving forward. Below I have provided a background of my situation to give context however feel free to skip.

Background
Up till 22 I had great health (thick hair, clear skin, lean body). However, I decided to do a 5 month bulk which involved overload on weight lifting (7 days a week) along-side a stress full job which lead to a 13 kg weight gain. I then moved to an even more stress full job (running on raised cortisol 12 hours a day, 5 days a week) and continued working out for 5 months, maintaining a diet of 4000 calories throughout. This is when my acne started and my hair loss slowly began.

I then continued to run on cortisol for 3 months during the start of a new job (less stress full) and crashed. This lead to excessive hair loss and cystic acne (now have atrophic scars due to reduce wound healing ability). I noticed around this time that my stress response was severely impaired and that I could get an intense burst of cortisol response from relatively minor stressors.

In order to mitigate this, at the time I switched to a high vegetable diet, low sugar with heavy zinc supplementation which I maintained for 3 months. This reduced my acne short term but I suspect it lead to SIBO as I had constipation throughout (previously had gastritis years prior so I suspect weak stomach acid triggered this). Following the 3 months of strict adherence I had increased acne along with extreme fatigue and slow hair loss.

I then followed peat diet for 3 months but this accelerated my hair loss too much as I had a high stress period during this time.

I then cut out gluten in November 2018 which reduced acne massively. Since then I have followed a semi peat diet which I will outline below. I have followed this diet strictly in weekdays and am more liberal on weekends. Hair loss continues slowly and acne is now minor, fatigue is gone.

Current regime:
Breakfast:
Sweet potatoes and chicken with tablespoon of nutritional yeast

Morning snack:
Litre of orange juice

Lunch:
Sweet potatoes with oxtail or beef joint.

Dinner:
Sweet potatoes mash with oxtail or beef joint with table spoon of nutritional yeast
Home made sweet potatoe pie gluten free and lots of sugar

Every other day I have 2 drops of 7% lugols iodine solution
I have oysters every week
I have liver every other week
Blood tests every 3 months

Job has on and off periods of stress, inconsistent hours (I enjoy it)

Blood Test results (range is on second line for each):
I have bolded out of range results and others of significance

Main:

CORTISOL (9am prior to eating) 444 nmol/L
166 - 507

ESTRADIOL (E2) 69.1 pmol/L
41 - 159

TESTOSTERONE 20.4 nmol/L (This translates to 587 on other index)
8.64 - 29

PROLACTIN 442 mU/L (This translates to 20.7 which is way above prescribed range here of 4-7)
86 - 324

DHEA SULPHATE 9.41 umol/L
5.73 - 13.4

TSH 1.12 mIU/L (This has risen from 0.93 in January)
0.27 - 4.2

FREE THYROXINE 17.6 pmol/L
12 - 22

Cholesterol:

TOTAL CHOLESTEROL 4.53 mmol/L
0 - 5

LDL CHOLESTEROL 2.61 mmol/L
< 3

NON HDL CHOLESTEROL 3.05 mmol/L
< 4

HDL CHOLESTEROL 1.48 mmol/L
> 1.1

TRIGLYCERIDES 0.96 mmol/L
< 1.7

Inflammation

CRP HS 0.43 mg/L
< 5

CREATINE KINASE 189 IU/L
39 - 308

Vit & Minerals

IRON 21.41 umol/L
5.8 - 34.5

FERRITIN 49.7 ug/L
30 - 400

MAGNESIUM - SERUM 0.97 mmol/L
0.7 - 1

FOLATE - SERUM 9.28 ug/L
> 3.89

VITAMIN D 42.7 nmol/L
50 - 175

Other:

ALT 19.4 IU/L
< 50

ALBUMIN 45.2 g/L
35 - 50

HAEMOGLOBIN: 144 g/L
130 - 170

CREATININE: 100 umol/L
59 - 104

SHBG 47.6 nmol/L
18.3 - 54.1

HBA1C 34.88 mmol/mol
20 - 42

INSULIN 4.33 mIU/L
2.6 - 24.9

FREE TESTOSTERONE - CALC. 0.341 nmol/L
0.2 - 0.62

FREE ANDROGEN INDEX 42.86
24 - 104

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

None of your blood tests looks crazy luckily, just your prolactin is a little high, but that's from stress and elevated cortisol and serotonin and low dopamine possibly. Your diet also looks good. Do you track it on cronometer?
I'd say adding in some vitamin E and a dopamine agonist and serotonin antagonist to lower the prolactin and then use an androgenic adaptogen, such as tribulus terrestris to help cope with the stress. TT also increases dopamine, lowers prolactin and serotonin and improves digestion. Just be sure to get a high protodioscin extract. I think one of the main reasons your digestion suffered, is because stress inhibits proper digestion, and this creates a prime environment for bacteria to flourish.

Also, are you still exercising now, and if so, when was the last time you had a deload (or took off), how long is each session and what's the volume of each session?

For optimal recovery, your body might just need a proper lay off period to recuperate.

Momado965

None of your blood tests looks crazy luckily, just your prolactin is a little high, but that's from stress and elevated cortisol and serotonin and low dopamine possibly. Your diet also looks good. Do you track it on cronometer?
I'd say adding in some vitamin E and a dopamine agonist and serotonin antagonist to lower the prolactin and then use an androgenic adaptogen, such as tribulus terrestris to help cope with the stress. TT also increases dopamine, lowers prolactin and serotonin and improves digestion. Just be sure to get a high protodioscin extract. I think one of the main reasons your digestion suffered, is because stress inhibits proper digestion, and this creates a prime environment for bacteria to flourish.

Also, are you still exercising now, and if so, when was the last time you had a deload (or took off), how long is each session and what's the volume of each session?

For optimal recovery, your body might just need a proper lay off period to recuperate.

Frequent 3 day a pound of sugar binge is also necessary to restore thyroid. Do that as frequently as needed.

DrJ

Frequent 3 day a pound of sugar binge is also necessary to restore thyroid. Do that as frequently as needed.

No joke? A pound every day for 3 days? Or a pound spread out over 3 consecutive days?

olive

That sounds like a sure fire way to deplete your body of important micronutrients like b1 and potassium.

milkboi

I think I'm gonna try this once my Magnesium carbonate arrives. Then 500g sugar on top of whole food carbs + extra potassium, B1, niacinamide, and the mag. @olive Which other important cofactors am I missing?

aquaman

I think I'm gonna try this once my Magnesium carbonate arrives. Then 500g sugar on top of whole food carbs + extra potassium, B1, niacinamide, and the mag. @olive Which other important cofactors am I missing?

5 pounds of sweet, cooked fruits will be tastier, and full of micronutrients.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals