How exactly do you get your vitamin and mineral requirments (what do you eat/drink)?

OP
T

TiredofLies

Thank you! I guess there's no avoiding supplements on any diet. Quite depressing. To think people only 300-3000 years ago didn't even know what supplements were.

Maybe because I'm not old enough to feel any backlash from my diet is why I lack that "instinctive craving" for what foods I need. My diet from birth to age 5 made me develop really healthy bones, it consisted of mostly milk and cheese. My diet from 7-14 made me have all the epigenetic problems of teens today. So the first diet worked BUT eating milk and cheese (nothing else) would mean tons of supplements, or being forced to eat more types of food.

It'd be cool if I lived 10 minutes from a cow farmer to drink raw milk every day, but I have to settle for store milk. I just want to eat to nourish myself knowing I won't have ANY side effects, then feed that to my children someday knowing they won't have stunted growth. This is the concept of "traditional food" being healthy for certain cultures.

OP
T

TiredofLies

DKayJoe said:
Also while'st milk is an amazing source of nourishment (I've always been a fan but have actually grown to be borderline addicted due to how great large quantities goes down with me) RP still recommends fruit juice with it at a 2:1 ratio (milk to juice) due to the proteins depleting glycogen stores, so although the right milk is toxin free the macronutrient ratio could still cause problems or at least not be optimal. There is no complete and amazing food that will optimally sustain you for life, otherwise everyone would be consuming it, if Ray Peat has said you could survive on milk for a long time I highly doubt he's recommending it, it's just a fact that you could if needed...

I completely forgot about this. This correlates with what you said about "milk for protein, sugar for energy" but the flaw is that you'd be eating more fat/protein than sugar (carb). Something simple like drinking 2:1 milk and OJ would be awesome for someone like me, I just want the essentials.

DKayJoe

2:1 milk protein is currently 90% of my diet, I initially started on 0.1% skimmed organic which caused an initial Acne flare up for me which subsided in about 2-3 days. After that it was like I felt marginally better in every way imaginable, like my body and brain was finally remembering who I was again. I also found that I would sleep like a log all the way through the night and wake up without any problems what-so-ever. Financial situations caused me to ditch the diet and I crashed hard. Tried a diet more potato based and it played hell with me. At the moment I drink half my milk full fat and half skimmed and it seems to be even more effective, where I live they add possibly allergenic vitamins into semi/fully skimmed milk so maybe this was limiting the benefits. OJ and milk was where I started RP wise and after the effects it's what made me think that this approach could actually work.

Oh by the way I also forgot to mention I take a B complex as well, however cut me some slack as where I am it's 5 AM. :)

XPlus

If you happen not be dealing with specific health issues, then you might want to eat any combination of the following to your liking:

Fresh milk and cheese: for calcium, vitamin D, riboflavin, and B12,
Orange Juice: rich in potassium, thiamin and folate
Coffee: is rich in magnesium and niacin
Shrimp: for selenium
Weekly oysters: for copper and zinc
Shellfish in general are good sources of nutrients.
Weekly liver: for Vitamin A, E, K and some B vitamins
A little bit of gelatinous cuts of lamb and beef: for vitamin B12, zinc and selenium.
Salt to taste: the sodium spares magnesium
Bone broth: for a balanced protein profile

Here's a greens broth recipe that is dense in micro nutrients:
Water
A bunch of greens (e.g. kale, parsley)
Gelatin powder
Fructose powder (good quality)

Place greens in a pot, fill water so that it covers the greens and simmer for 45 mins.
Remove greens from water and discard.
Turn off heat.
Add 2tbsp gelatin to every 500ml of water.
Add fructose powder to taste.

Place mixture in the fridge for few hours until it settles.

There are many members who had shared their diets on the forum.
A quick search will give a good idea what people here eat like.

OP
T

TiredofLies

XPlus said:
If you happen not be dealing with specific health issues, then you might want to eat any combination of the following to your liking:

A little bit of gelatinous cuts of lamb and beef: for vitamin B12, zinc and selenium.

Water
Gelatin powder

Place greens in a pot, fill water so that it covers the greens and simmer for 45 mins.
Turn off heat.

Very good, thanks. Would there be any downsides to eating that green broth every day?

Brian

I eat everything in sight that is low in PUFA and somewhat low in fiber. When these are your only restrictions and you eat by taste it is very easy to get an abundance of minerals and most vitamins. A B complex supplement, fat solubles, liver, zinc or oysters can make up the rest of the gaps.

I personally got myself into better metabolic health by first doing low fat high carb eating both starch and fruit and some milk. Since getting my thyroid function and hormone production back up I don't restrict anything except the obvious Peat no-no's and feel that I am only continuing to increase in health.

OP
T

TiredofLies

Brian said:
I eat everything in sight that is low in PUFA and somewhat low in fiber. When these are your only restrictions and you eat by taste it is very easy to get an abundance of minerals and most vitamins. A B complex supplement, fat solubles, liver, zinc or oysters can make up the rest of the gaps.

I personally got myself into better metabolic health by first doing low fat high carb eating both starch and fruit and some milk. Since getting my thyroid function and hormone production back up I don't restrict anything except the obvious Peat no-no's and feel that I am only continuing to increase in health.

This is similar to how I eat. But I want to focus on good foods, not keeping it so random, I guess.

Anyone eat potatoes? This food is traditional for me culturally and Ray Peat recommends it.

Brian

TiredofLies said:
This is similar to how I eat. But I want to focus on good foods, not keeping it so random, I guess.

Anyone eat potatoes? This food is traditional for me culturally and Ray Peat recommends it.

I love potatoes. They were a big staple when I was doing low fat high carb and I still eat them frequently, they are probably the best starch you can consume. Cooked very well and skinned they digest perfectly and provide lots of very high quality protein and minerals. When cooked well the fiber in the flesh seems to have an anti-bacterial effect like carrots.

EIRE24

TiredofLies said:
Brian said:

l

Potatoes are traditional for you? Where are you from?

XPlus

TiredofLies said:
Very good, thanks. Would there be any downsides to eating that green broth every day?

Not that I know of, assuming you discard of the leafy greens.
I think it's much less risky compared to eating bags of these raw as proposed by popular health diets.
There's enough sugar to balance the gelatin and micronutrients to balance the water.

tara

TiredofLies said:
Brian said:

I eat potatoes some days, either as chips baked in coconut oil, or well boiled with butter, or in soups and stews. I think they were Jenn's staple during recovery.

I'd say Peat conditionally recommends them. Ie better than many foods, not necessarily best.

cout12

You don't need to read any scientific articles. There's a couple of summaries online(somewhere on this forum too) of what is safe to eat. Just eat those and chances are you won't be able to digest some food well and/or have some side effects and you'll have to tweak it from there.

FukushimaOyster

XPlus said:

Water
Gelatin powder

Turn off heat.

Great post.

Gl;itch.e

Well its probably a lot more complicated than just those two requirements. Your daily nutrition requirements will vary wildly based on all kinds of factors so getting that "perfect" might prove to be a problem.

OP
T

TiredofLies

EIRE24 said:
TiredofLies said:
Brian said:

l

Potatoes are traditional for you? Where are you from?
Well, mixed but I'm from Peru so I was guessing like Japanese people are able to eat soy without much negative effects from estrogen, I would be able to eat potatoes more easily. I guess if digestion is the only problem, perhaps souping would help viewtopic.php?f=2&t=428&hilit=rppps

mas

Natural Estrogens
by Ray Peat

Japanese women's relative freedom from breast cancer is independent of soy products: traditional soy foods aren't the same as those so widely used in the US, for example, soy sauce doesn't contain the so-called soy estrogens, and tea is used much more commonly in Japan than in the US, and contains health protective ingredients.

I think that in Japan they ferment their soy products and use them in much smaller quantities than in the US where soy is loaded in lots of foods. Commercial mayonnaise is a good example of heavy soy.

gretchen

My food: milk, ghee, cheeses (Colby jack & goat), sardines (not Peat approved), oysters, eggs, apples (not Peat recommended), baby carrots, garlic, avocados (not Peat approved), okra, Perrier water (not every day), RO water, vinegar, salt, coffee

Occasional: berries, coconut oil, figs, dates (to be added back soon), OJ, red meat- I prefer buffalo.

Supplements: vit K2, selenium, B vitamin, vit A (few days a week), zinc (as needed), DHEA, progesterone (few days a week), calcium/d3(1-2 days a week). I have recently used tumeric which doesn't absorb without black pepper. Not sure about.

I get as much red light as I can between 8-11 am and 5-7 pm. The sun is the key to regeneration, not food.

I shut 75% of the electricity off at night when I sleep. I put my phone on airplane.

Hth

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals